Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com preview and video

Mortmal

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Mortmal said:
why take the name at all

$$$$$

No makes no sense, xcom is not widely known to mainstream, they are aiming to maisntream right, its yet another multiplaftormer tittle ?
Kids with consoles ? Xcom doesnt means anything to them. Now X-files, area 51, roswell yes , or just simply name it UFO .

MetalCraze said:
back to sportforredneck said:
I think the game concept is interesting
The game concept that is in every single other console shooter is so interesting
1950s people hunting down extraterrestrial black goo and investigating what the fuck is going on? That's in every other console shooter? Hell, I like the fact that they decided to say "fuck no" to making a bipedal/humanoid alien race and instead made something like slime. Lovecraft dug some slime. I can dig some slime.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
And you know that, the closer we get to the release, they're going to slowly drop all their interesting features in favour of making a more cinematic, narrative-driven experience, to keep the tension high and make the player feel like he's really racing to save America. To this end, we've toned down the investigative elements to optional collectathon sidequests to discover more about the aliens and thus gain percentage damage increases, while adding an innovative cover system to increase tactical depth and immersiveness.

You know they are going to do this

MetalCraze

Arcane
Mortmal said:
Darth Roxor said:
Mortmal said:
why take the name at all

$$$$$

No makes no sense, xcom is not widely known to mainstream
The game is not. The name is.

Same like with Fallout, Deus Ex and Thief that are being raped right now.

MetalCraze said:
The game concept that is in every single other console shooter is so interesting
1950s people hunting down extraterrestrial black goo
Mahrens fighting aleins - this is soooo original and never done before 100 times

and investigating what the fuck is going on?
Investigating? The earth is being invaded by aliens, you kill the shit out of them and save the world. Here I just spoiled you the whole plot.

denizsi said:
Sellout 3, Biocock
Two games.

One television show. Reference a game that does the goo instead of humanoid.

See: shotgun diplomacy
Probably, but again I'm talking about the concept. Not the actual game. I doubt the actual game will be good, but the idea is nice.

You are simply not well versed in pop culture + recent gaming history.
I guess you could say so. Never watched X-files. And two games doesn't count as every game. It's not like it's a WWII shooter. You all really like to just bitch about everything don't you?

Black

Arcane
I couldn't agree more, shooting black goo is so much different than shooting humans/greys and so on.

spekkio

Arcane
Wow, yet another franchise rape ?

Bioshock meets X-files meets PoP2008 (that's where the black cum came from actually) meets 10001th FPS shooter. Stamp a highly recognizable brand on it and we have a bluckbuster.

Move along people, nothing to see here except more Skyway's bitching...

denizsi

Arcane

Why does it have to be games? That's stupid. And X-Files lasted 9 fucking seasons and became a trend setter through its life span, one of the keystones of pop culture, so that should be enough for anyone. But since you asked, how about the motherfucking Spider Man?

Then there's also the Grey Goo, nanotech particles that break down most everything they come into contact with and pop culture is ripe with it. Sometimes even sentient and there are several games using that concept.

Similarly, there's lots of "Blood Goo" (so to say; not an established term) in manga literature. People, often vampires, whose blood carry their sentience and can invade other bodies to posses them and can move around as a pool of blood ie. basically emo or hentai version of the Black Goo.

But ok, it's still not a terrible idea to use and in a grand comparison, it has some novelty, I must accept, which brings us to the next point:

Black said:
I couldn't agree more, shooting black goo is so much different than shooting humans/greys and so on.

The part that's really insulting, that you "shoot" at some motherfucking "goo". Wtf man. Using fire, chemicals might possibly be acceptable, but you're going motherfucking redneck on some goo. FFS.

MetalCraze

Arcane

So fighting an alien that is goo instead of aliens that are midgets, animals with 4 legs, etc makes the idea of marines vs. aliens original and interesting?

yaster

Liturgist
spekkio said:
(..) meets PoP2008 (that's where the black cum came from actually) meets (..).

Black goo means shit in PoP2008. Enemies are the same shitty bipedals eitherway. Only narrative implication, from trailer you can see that here we have direct goo shooting.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
denizsi said:
Chasing after spacenigger cum with shotguns and shooting randomly like motherfucking rednecks = best reboot of an iconic and one of the most challenging tactical games of all times.

:lol:
Sure, if you are braindead.

And before you try pathetically to refute the point:
Retarded AI
Unlimited money
No timelimit in tac screen
"Impossible" to loose if you just shoot down ufos

Take of the nostalgia binoculars. UFO is stylish and interesting but not hard.

Bioshock and X-Files.

Sure it sucks that investigation is going to be nothing more than level scaling. It's going to suck that you are going to blastothon your way to victory. It's going to suck that this isn't a game where you investigate things and make choices and then succeed or fail based on your ability to figure out shit in the right time.

But at the same time what the fuck did you expect? Biofiles is going to be the greatest tactical game you get that isn't obscure on the PC that's released next year. Deal with it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
Most console shooters don't have open maps, economic layer, goals different than "kill everything", choosing missions, followers who die instead of losing conciousness, researching on enemies' weak points and their technology. What they do have instead are artificial cover system, health regeneration and maps in a form of one long corridor. Alien forms are promised to be really diverse, with various abilities, special powers and weakness.

I believe this is enough to say that the concept is indeed interesting. But so was the concept of Bioshock and it doesn't really mattered because the execution sucked.

Some of the ideas that look good on paper were already in Bioshock and if they weren't implemented properly then, there's no reason to believe it will be better with XCOM. Especially when it comes to features that had already been done in more interesting way in SS2 - the "we were experimenting with something new and now we will improve" excuse can't be used in that case.

Research was horrible in BS. The idea of running around with a camera and making close up photos of enemies was quite stupid on its own but it wasn't the reason the mechanic was uninspired nor will it be handled similarly in XCOM. It will work more like in the X-COMs: you gather bodies and artefacts and you can choose what areas do you want to work on in the base. The two issues were:

- the game was easy enough without bonuses - can't see any reason why would they decide to make XCOM harder - some people might have found the game too easy but I don't think there was much complains from media and players,
- bonuses for gathering information were uninspired - there were some more interesting but 3 out of 5 levels were "damage+", "damage++" and "damage+++". Oh, joy.

The reason for the latter was mostly the fact that enemies weren't diverse at all and the only a bit more interesting ones were these with the ability to teleport. Even the hyped big daddy was just a boring semi-boss with loads hit points and decent damage*. At the beginning I said it is promised it will be different with the new 2k Boston game. But why should anyone believe this? Weren't the mutations caused by plasmids a concept not less interesting than aliens being? Potential should be similar, so I expect the execution to be similar too. The aliens shown in video look interesting but according to preview it looks like the consequence will be only using one gun to kill creature A and other for creatures B. Meh.

What's next? Open levels. The problem with this is that I believe designing a good exterior map for a shooter is much more difficult than doing the same with interiors. You fuck up and the player spends more time running around looking for enemies than interacting with environment (i.e. mostly blowing shit ;)). Bioshock already had this problem while being interior-based and it should be even more difficult to avoid it now. This can actually be a good thing if shooting mechanic is fairly realistic and opponent spotting you first mean you're dead r almost dead - exploring the level becomes extremely tense experience. Unfortunately, it would be surprising if after choosing cartoonish, unrealistic style the devs would decide a realistic system with fragile character.

The economic part of the game and losing followers will only matter if there are really harsh penalties for mismanaging. And by harsh I mean "you wasn't doing well? You have no money, no agents, it's the end, start from the beginning". Not going to happen in a game that has to sold millions copies to turn profit. Remember that stereotypical modern gamer don't want to be penalised, he wants rewards on every step.

Lastly, the lack of artificial cover system and health regeneration. Well, not implementing retarded features shouldn't be enough to feel hyped and there surely will be a way to counterbalance that with another stupid decisions. Like resurrection, giving the player way too big pool of ammo, healing kits and an opportunity to buy even more of them around every corner.

Metalcraze said:
So fighting an alien that is goo instead of aliens that are midgets, animals with 4 legs, etc makes the idea of marines vs. aliens original and interesting?
Sure. If it's a goo creature then it shouldn't be hurt with conventional attacks but only with fire and explosions. Make the environment destructible so using fire indoors is huge risk because you can trap yourself in burning house. Make it also risky because you can hurt civilians. You have a winner. Of course, instead of this one of the best weapons to kill this kind of alien is a shotgun...

*nothing particularly wrong with that, shambler is essentially the same and still manages to be the most awesome enemy in FPSes. But you would deal with him differently depending on what weapons do you have, Quake had much better level design so sometimes you had an occasion to hide behind covers, sometimes you had to run away and shoot grenades what was difficult because of weak damage explosives do to shambler and you had to memorise the map so you know where to go even though you are not looking where you are running. Sometimes it was also possible to use some power up to make fight easier. In Bioshock you almost always have enough place to run around daddy and shoot everything you have while avoiding attacks is rather easy.

lightbane

Arcane
spekkio said:
Wow, yet another franchise rape ?

Bioshock meets X-files meets PoP2008 (that's where the black cum came from actually) meets 10001th FPS shooter. Stamp a highly recognizable brand on it and we have a bluckbuster.

Move along people, nothing to see here except more Skyway's bitching...

Not exactly, if I recall correctly Condemned 2 had some black goo that covered the scenarios and where some enemies would be hiding and randomly pounce to kill you if you moved closer.

denizsi

Arcane
Orgasm said:
denizsi said:
Chasing after spacetard cum with shotguns and shooting randomly like rednecks = best reboot of an iconic and one of the most challenging tactical games of all times.

:lol:
Sure, if you are braindead.

And before you try pathetically to refute the point:
Retarded AI
Unlimited money
No timelimit in tac screen
"Impossible" to loose if you just shoot down ufos

Take of the nostalgia binoculars. UFO is stylish and interesting but not hard.

I was only really referring to the TB combat. AI isn't the best but still very brutal.

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister
1eyedking said:
What the fuck did I just watch

Edit:

"In fact, the shotgun seems to do decent damage to these schizophrenic beasts. A few blasts exposes their bulbous core, which can then be shot to finish them off. It's soon clear, however, that there are too many of them, and Carter starts lobbing Blobatovs."

Grabbin a blobatov!

ricolikesrice

Arcane
ignoring the x-com name for a second:

i have the feeling this is gonna end like "the darkness". it will have amazing atmosphere and seem like so much more than your average FPS in the first 2-3 hours .... and then you realize that it IS just an FPS, and a below average/shitty one at that.

not ignoring the x-com name:

rape. rape. rape. probably bought the license for 99 cent because X-COM fits oh so well to X-BOX not giving a shit about old fans.

Black

Arcane
ricolikesrice said:
i have the feeling this is gonna end like "the darkness". it will have amazing atmosphere and seem like so much more than your average FPS in the first 2-3 hours .... and then
Funny because you say it like it'll last for more than 3 hours.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It doesn't have anything to do with X-Com. It doesn't happen in the X-Com setting and isn't a computer boardgame.
What's the point of naming it X-Com? Especially that unlike Fallout, X-Com didn't have a very cool setting?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I don't understand their marketing - for original XCOM fans this video shows that it has nothing in common with originals, consoletards won't care anyway because they haven't heard of XCOM anyway.

At least mission success if developers just wanted to have a grand laugh at internet rage coming from this.

Especially that unlike Fallout, X-Com didn't have a very cool setting?
Yeah, that's another one. XCOM is remembered for gameplay, it had no distinctive setting or design on its own.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Hoaxmetal said:
consoletards won't care anyway because they haven't heard of XCOM anyway.
funnay. enemy unknown and terror from the deep are playstation games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom