Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

spekkio

Arcane
The throwing-attack he does is pretty ridiculous.
Noticed this recently, esp. funny with the Spear of the Usurper.

Everything turns out either dead or converted into your cause.

BOtRUaT.jpg

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, I put a spear on him too, and its pretty effective. He uses it more like a javelin throw; nearly every attack is a spear throw, unless the enemy is close. In that case he combos. His counter move isn't as good as with the sword though.

Last edited:

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Didnt know Nier is a PS3 exclusive. Have a PS3 tho, so its no probs. Gonna play Nier for sure then.

Now, time to decide what with Drakengards. Hm. Are they even remotely good?

Nier was actually also available on the Xbox 360 as well if you happen to prefer that console. Aside from that, both PS3 versions (standard Nier and the Japanese only, Replicant) play pretty well in RPCS3, the PS3 emulator, if you have a decently fast computer. As others have already said, Drakengard is probably best consumed by reading The Dark Id's LP. The story for Drakengard is awesome, but the gameplay is pretty rough. Drakengard 2 is a pile of decline, as Yoko Taro had nothing to do with it. Drakengard 3 has better gameplay, but it was an Unreal Engine 3 game back when Epic was really bad about providing support to Japanese developers, so performance is pretty sketchy with a dogshit framerate. I haven't tried it yet, but performance of Drakengard 3 is actually supposed to be a lot better on the RPCS3 than on an actual PS3. The emulator allows for a decent framerate (and 4K output) on a fast computer.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Is any viable way of getting this game pirated and working on PC? I do have the PS4 version, but I really want to have it on PC for a couple of reasons. Thing is I'm aware that the PC port is atrocious, so I'm not in the mood of paying for it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not atrocious at all. I had no issues with it. Where did you hear that?

Edit: Oh I see, performance issues. Well, I didn't get those and my computer isn't all that powerful. Whatever...

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Is any viable way of getting this game pirated and working on PC? I do have the PS4 version, but I really want to have it on PC for a couple of reasons. Thing is I'm aware that the PC port is atrocious, so I'm not in the mood of paying for it.
Just pirate the game and apply a version of FAR that doesn't check for DRM.
Here's the links that helped me out
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrackSupport/comments/9cfnkq/how_to_use_far_mod_with_nier_automata_fitgirl/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrackSupport/comments/69xnhn/nier_automata_far/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CrackSupport/comments/977fxl/how_to_use_far_mod_on_cracked_version_of_nier/

However, even with FAR, I was not able to get acceptable performance. The port is seriously shit unfortunately.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

The port isn't that bad, provided you are running recommended hardware with recent GPU drivers.
I haven't noticed any performance issues after upgrading my machine. Prior to the upgrade I was barely running minimum requirements and I had all sorts of issues.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
I am on a potato and the game ran fine, core i3, 750 ti, and haven't updated my video card drivers since 2014 kek.

v1rus

Arcane
Booted the game on PCX2 to test it and, skipped all the intros and stuff and... wow, you guys sure werent fucking kidding. The game looks and feels so...

Cant find the words actually, lol. But I cant say I aint intrigued. Now, just to figure out, is my joypad going crazy again, or is camera THAT fucking bad.

v1rus

Arcane
oh fuck me and my googling around, trying to figure out is it worth of a play.

Just found one of the party characters is a pedophile. How big of a spoil that is?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Just found one of the party characters is a pedophile. How big of a spoil that is?

And he's the most ethical and "good" member of the main party, I may say of the cast wholesale!

Sometimes I ask myself what's the most Codexian of the Drakengard 3 people. I mean, they are literally an array of fetishes but they are fun in some delirious way

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Started Nier (original) on RPCS3. That authentic 30 fps lock, stuttering due to shader compilation, and shit camera (might be steam controllers fault) sure make it an interesting experience.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I did it. I unlocked ending C,D and E. The feels man, I wasn't expecting the game to be so bleak.
Sort of surprised that the aliens weren't a manufactured threat and the machines weren't human in origin. That would have tied with the whole YoRHA conspiracy thing nicely. I think I probably should have tried to play Nier first, because the events of that game clearly lead to this game. Poor Popola and Devola :(

What I don't understand though is that if the machines had access to classified YorHa data and knew humans were extinct, why didn't they just use that information to demoralize the android forces and crush them?

I didn't delete my save file though, because I still hadn't unlocked all of the bonus endings, and I didn't want 22 hours go to waste. I did leave a message though. Does it delete all save files, or can I save to another slot and use that?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
What I don't understand though is that if the machines had access to classified YorHa data and knew humans were extinct, why didn't they just use that information to demoralize the android forces and crush them?
Because the point of the war was not to "win" it. It might've been for the aliens, but they went extinct thousands of years ago. The point of the constant struggle was to evolve on both sides, to keep fighting and improving. It was basically a perfect environment for an experiment to see how far you could drive evolution, ultimately driven by the "red girls" you bait into fighting each other by fragmenting their consciousness right before ascending the tower.
Androids evolved into ever more sophisticated models (as is seen in regular androids > prototypes like A2 > special-ops androids like 2B/9S) with the specific purpose to discard them once all the important data had been collected. The machines did the same, and evolved into more sophisticated models themselves, while having access via the back-door to all the android-data.
By having one side win, this struggle would come to a conclusion, and you can see in many different side-quests in the game how machines and androids alike reach the end of their quest or complete their purpose. Once they do, they all do the same - they kill themselves, due to their existence no longer having any meaning. The limitation of their programming doesn't allow them to look for different purposes in their existence, which is why they just continue doing the same thing over and over again. The text-sequence during 9Ss capture in Route B references that eternal failure to evolve or create new meaning for anything other than combat. I personally feel that that was by design.

Silva

Arcane
Because the point of the war was not to "win" it. It might've been for the aliens, but they went extinct thousands of years ago. The point of the constant struggle was to evolve on both sides, to keep fighting and improving. It was basically a perfect environment for an experiment to see how far you could drive evolution, ultimately driven by the "red girls" you bait into fighting each other by fragmenting their consciousness right before ascending the tower.
Androids evolved into ever more sophisticated models (as is seen in regular androids > prototypes like A2 > special-ops androids like 2B/9S) with the specific purpose to discard them once all the important data had been collected. The machines did the same, and evolved into more sophisticated models themselves, while having access via the back-door to all the android-data.
By having one side win, this struggle would come to a conclusion, and you can see in many different side-quests in the game how machines and androids alike reach the end of their quest or complete their purpose. Once they do, they all do the same - they kill themselves, due to their existence no longer having any meaning. The limitation of their programming doesn't allow them to look for different purposes in their existence, which is why they just continue doing the same thing over and over again. The text-sequence during 9Ss capture in Route B references that eternal failure to evolve or create new meaning for anything other than combat. I personally feel that that was by design.
But some pockets of androids and machines communities are evolving into non-war paths, right? Isn't this what Pascal village basically is?

Edit: by the way, Yoko Taro being Yoko Taro...

Hn9pSRQx2c7rY1tXxMr4SbFOUo7CnmXeRdqPEbN1D6g.jpg

Last edited:

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Read the Machine Research Report. It should be in your inventory.
Overview

While the machine lifeform network was destroyed following the collapse of the Tower, a great deal of previously unknown information regarding machine lifeforms and aliens was recovered from the wreckage. As part of this analysis, we compiled research and conjecture regarding both the machine lifeform network and the lifeform Codename N2—commonly known as the Red Girls—that was thought to have been commanding them.

- Machine lifeforms are weapons created by the aliens. The only command given for their behavior was to "defeat the enemy." However, it appears that their capacity for growth and evolution went too far, and they eventually turned on and killed their creators.

- At this point, machine lifeforms recognized that the goal of "defeating the enemy" actually REQUIRED an enemy. In order to maintain this singular objective, they reached the contradictory conclusion that their current enemies—the androids—could not be annihilated completely, lest they no longer have an enemy to defeat.

- In order to resolve this inherent contradiction, the machine lifeforms began to intentionally cause deficiencies in their network, diversifying the vectors of evolution for all machines. This is the cause behind some of the more "special" machine lifeforms, such as Pascal and the Forest King.

- Meanwhile, the deficient network began repeating a process of self-repair while incorporating surrounding information, until it finally reached a fixed state as a new form of network. Traces of information regarding human memories from the quantum server of the old model were discovered, indicating that it had integrated them during the final stages of its growth process. Said server contained a record of the discarded "Project Gestalt," as well as information on the human who was the first successful example of the Gestalt process.

- Having acquired information regarding humanity, the network's structure changed once more, becoming what might better be called a meta network (or a "concept", to borrow the words of the machines). This led directly to the formation of the ego we identify as N2.

...So then! To sum up: For hundreds of years, we've been fighting a network of machines with the ghost of humanity at its core. We've been living in a stupid *****ing world where we fight an endless war that we COULDN'T POSSIBLY LOSE, all for the sake of some Council of Humanity on the moon that doesn't even exist.

I don't know what the point is to all this, but I swear I will kill every evolutionary dead-end machine lifeform, as well as every single asshole behind Project YoRHa.
I'm coming for all your heads. ***** you.

Information Analysis Officer,

Jackass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom