Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

911 Jumper

Educated
Been thinking about grabbing an OLED model for almost a year now, but the price is still just a bit too high. And of course Switch 2 is likely to land next year at some point. If there's no BC, it'll probably be the final push to make me pick up the current Switch.

beardalaxy

Novice
Been thinking about grabbing an OLED model for almost a year now, but the price is still just a bit too high. And of course Switch 2 is likely to land next year at some point. If there's no BC, it'll probably be the final push to make me pick up the current Switch.
Yeah my friend just bought a used OLED and they still go for like $300 around here. If you REALLY want that screen I guess.
I personally think that the original model is the best but that's only because it can be very easily modded. It all depends on what your priorities are, because the old ones also have a worse battery than the new models and the OLEDs. Of course, if you're going to hard mod and OLED then it doesn't matter much either.

I would just wait until we hear official news from Nintendo on Switch 2, though. I have no doubts that it will be backwards compatible. It's more a matter of how long you want to wait to be able to play the games. It's also worth noting that, according to leaks, the Switch 2 will not have an OLED screen and will be going back to the normal one, which is definitely a cost saving measure. So if you do REALLY want that OLED screen, it is likely that your only option for now is going to be the Switch OLED. Maybe they will release a version of the Switch 2 with an OLED screen but it will obviously be more expensive.

911 Jumper

Educated
Yeah my friend just bought a used OLED and they still go for like $300 around here. If you REALLY want that screen I guess.
I personally think that the original model is the best but that's only because it can be very easily modded. It all depends on what your priorities are, because the old ones also have a worse battery than the new models and the OLEDs. Of course, if you're going to hard mod and OLED then it doesn't matter much either.

I would just wait until we hear official news from Nintendo on Switch 2, though. I have no doubts that it will be backwards compatible. It's more a matter of how long you want to wait to be able to play the games. It's also worth noting that, according to leaks, the Switch 2 will not have an OLED screen and will be going back to the normal one, which is definitely a cost saving measure. So if you do REALLY want that OLED screen, it is likely that your only option for now is going to be the Switch OLED. Maybe they will release a version of the Switch 2 with an OLED screen but it will obviously be more expensive.
At this point, the oled would be the only Switch model I'd consider (I've got no interest in modding). I'm in the UK and the oled model often hovers between £290 and £310 – brand new.
I really do hope the Switch 2 has full BC, but until Nintendo confirms it, it's all speculation. I too have also heard that the Switch 2 won't have an oled panel out the gate, so that's definitely another thing to consider.

911 Jumper

Educated
Latest batch of Switch 2 rumours, for anyone interested:
WCCFTech is reporting on a rumor this afternoon that comes from Discord user, SoldierDelta, which the site says has previously provided information and screenshots for Team NINJA’s Rise of the Ronin on The Snitch’s server. The rumor is that Nintendo is preparing two Nintendo Switch 2 models for release. The first will be an all-digital system for $400, and the other being a standard system with a cartridge slot for $499. He goes on to say that the Switch 2 is known internally as NG, and Nintendo is targeting a 24th September release date, which seems a little odd to set a specific day so far in advance. Though he does go on to say that it could slip to November. Make of this specific rumour what you will.
Rumour claims Switch 2 coming in two models priced at $400+ next September

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I've never seen Nintendo price a console that high. They always went low cost but I guess with inflation so terrible it cancels out.

Tehdagah

Arcane
$400 for a console less powerful than the Series S (which is $300)?

:nocountryforshitposters:

caffeine

Novice
The Switch is overpriced. It was released 6 years ago and never dropped the price.
Exactly. Nintendo is the master of overpriced hardware and only prices a console reasonably when it flops. The rumored $400 is right in line for them, and you know tendies will buy the new Switch in droves anyway.

911 Jumper

Educated
Current Switch should be £250/$250 at most by now. It's still £309 in a lot of places here in the UK.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought mine used for $200 used close to launch. Luckily, it still works like a champ, and I am seeing no signs of it dying. It's always a bit risky to go the used way.

The same goes for my PS4. Got it used close to launch. Only issue I had is that the ones selling it to me forgot to delete their account. I called them up, and we solved it quickly. I gave it to my brother two years ago, and it also works like a champ.

911 Jumper

Educated
RoboCop: Rogue City for Switch cancelled
Publisher Nacon and developer Teyon have cancelled the Switch version of RoboCop: Rogue City, which was originally planned to launch sometime after the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC (Steam, Epic Games Store) versions due out on November 2.

In a statement to Gematsu, Nacon confirmed, “At this moment we don’t have any plans for a Nintendo Switch release.”

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Publisher Nacon and developer Teyon have cancelled the Switch version of RoboCop: Rogue City, which was originally planned to launch sometime after the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC (Steam, Epic Games Store) versions due out on November 2.

In a statement to Gematsu, Nacon confirmed, “At this moment we don’t have any plans for a Nintendo Switch release.”
Probably too much work to downgrade the game for a console that will soon be obsolete

911 Jumper

Educated

Probably too much work to downgrade the game for a console that will soon be obsolete
Yep, it's just not worth the effort at this point in the system's lifecycle.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been thinking to myself: How many of these canned Switch games have simply been postponed for the Switch 2?

911 Jumper

Educated
Today I learned that Nintendo tends to pack all the patches for Nintendo developed games into newer versions of the carts for those games. So if I buy BoTW brand new directly from Nintendo or say Amazon today, I'll be getting a cart with all the patches included, which means I won't have to download anything.
That's absolutely brilliant, especially when you're thinking about future proofing and game preservation.

Modron

Arcane
That's absolutely brilliant, especially when you're thinking about future proofing and game preservation.
Yes and no, sometimes developers alter content so not having a bunch of 1.0s around could be sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom