Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

somerandomdude

Learned
Nioh 2 is better than Elden Ring, IMO. I put at least 3-4x more hours into Nioh 2 than I did into Elden Ring. You got a lot more depth with character customization, builds, and itemization, and more depth to the combat as well. Team Ninja does the "souls-like" formula better than From Software in many ways. Team Ninja's next game, Rise of the Ronin looks like it might be the spiritual successor to Nioh in the same sorta way that Elden Ring is the spiritual successor to Dark Souls. Unfortunately, it's PS5 exclusive, hopefully it's only timed exclusive for 6 months or a year.

arekks

Novice
I think Elden Ring exposed the limits of From Soft at the moment. They can't make compelling combat and when they push their combat system too far they make something that is basically gambling. Malenia is a boss where you have to both learn its moves and engage in an RNG lottery to win. Team Ninja can make compelling combat and they understand the limits, they have an instinctual understanding of how to navigate gameplay design.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My PC is a bit low end and I will only upgrade after I get a STABLE job due a vow.

If my PC had no problems running code vein, hellpoint and other souls like, it will run this game? My pc meets all minimum requirements except GPU which is a bit worse. And no, I don't expect to run it in good graphics.

Also, can I be a water Onmyo?

Suicidal

Arcane
My PC is a bit low end and I will only upgrade after I get a STABLE job due a vow.

If my PC had no problems running code vein, hellpoint and other souls like, it will run this game? My pc meets all minimum requirements except GPU which is a bit worse. And no, I don't expect to run it in good graphics.

Also, can I be a water Onmyo?

I played it on a 1060 3GB and it ran well on medium-high settings except in some areas with a lot of particles, where the FPS dipped but it was tolerable. The 1060 is only SLIGHTLY higher than the minimum recs. Also I didn't have Windows 10 at the time and the game wouldn't launch without fiddling with DLLs but when I got it to work everything worked well and stable, not a single crash and etc. I was honestly surprised.

somerandomdude

Learned
IS water Onmyouji good in Nioh 2?

It's good for landing saturated effect, which is a phys defense debuff. Water familiar talisman is pretty dope, it puts a satellite of projectiles up that follow you around, and give what you attack a defense debuff. If you land another element effect with it, you can put confusion on a target, which is a huge debuff.

somerandomdude

Learned
Bare fists are actually viable in this game, if you make the build for it. I seem to recall that it may have been nerfed, because it actually hit for a lot of damage with one of the emotes. People were literally oneshotting bosses with it.

somerandomdude

Learned
I don't know of any builds that have cleared underworld and depths that don't use a few omnyo buffs, but I suppose anything would work through the first couple difficulties.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Can't wait to get back on Nioh roll, have beaten Nioh 1 3 times and Nioh 2 once. Want to continue both games' playthroughs, will probably start with Nioh 2 again after done with Elden Ring.

Reinhardt

Arcane
tons of cool weapons in nioh, switchglaive is not cool, it's ghey. it's something xXxCurororoRomancerxXx would use, not Honda Tadakatsu or Miyamoto Musashi.

Silva

Arcane
Nioh 2 is better than Elden Ring, IMO. I put at least 3-4x more hours into Nioh 2 than I did into Elden Ring. You got a lot more depth with character customization, builds, and itemization, and more depth to the combat as well.
True but Nioh is too gamey/arcadey, lacking Souls' sense of simulation and verossimilitude.

It's like an euro boardgame: great gameplay, little to no soul.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Nioh 2 is better than Elden Ring, IMO. I put at least 3-4x more hours into Nioh 2 than I did into Elden Ring. You got a lot more depth with character customization, builds, and itemization, and more depth to the combat as well.
True but Nioh is too gamey/arcadey, lacking Souls' sense of simulation and verossimilitude.

It's like an euro boardgame: great gameplay, little to no soul.

Nioh has a lot of soul, actually I think it's fairly well balanced combination of more fantastic "animu" style representation of the historic period merged with a fair sense of realism. You get more out of it if you are into the historic period and have familiarity with the characters, that's for sure.

Silva

Arcane
Deflowerer , fanboyism is clouding your judgement. The portrayal of the historical characters in Nioh is so goofy it only adds to the arcadey feeling of the game (plus ninja pajamas). Nothing in it can be taken seriously from an historical standpoint.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Deflowerer , fanboyism is clouding your judgement. The portrayal of the historical characters in Nioh is so goofy it only adds to the arcadey feeling of the game (plus ninja pajamas). Nothing in it can be taken seriously from an historical standpoint.

The worst part is that the historical figures aren't even full-on cartoon characters like in Samurai Warriors. So they're not historically accurate and not especially entertaining either.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sekiro vs Nioh. What's the difference and which is better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom