Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

somerandomdude

Learned
Sekiro vs Nioh. What's the difference and which is better?

Sekiro is a ninja action game. Nioh has RPG elements, with levels ups, stats, gear, and builds. The gear is randomized like loot in diablo games, and you even got gear with set bonuses. Unlike Sekiro, you got tons of different options for how to play in Nioh, there's a variety of weapons you can use that have different movesets.

Both games are very good, Sekiro does its schtick very well, but if you prefer a game with more RPG elements, then you'd probably like Nioh better.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Sekiro is a pure action game, Nioh is an action-RPG.
Sekiro is prettier and flashier, but Nioh has a lot more depth.
Sekiro is focused on exploration and combat while Nioh is combat + making wacky builds (no exploration to speak of, levels are self-contained, linear and generally not good).
Both are great for different reasons, but for me personally Nioh is slightly better (Sekiro is like a 9/10, Nioh (2 in particular) is like a 9.5)

My vote has to go to DS 2 because that's the only Souls game I don't remember. At all. Like I never played it. And I remember DS 1 quite well even though I played it last a lot before DS 2.

Well my vote is not for the lack of remembering. I finished 3 two times because I really wanted to like it and I found it dull and uninspired both times, with the absolute worst combat of all From games that I've played. Whereas I like 2 as much as 1, just for different reasons.

Lambach

Arcane
You should ignore the hate and try. I loved DS2 as a hexer

And you should really practice reading comprehension. :M

I didn't say I didn't play it, I said I don't remember it at all. Between DS 1 being incredibly atmospheric with fantastic exploration and near-perfect level design and DS 3 having the best gameplay, the best bosses etc. out of the three, DS 2 just ended up kinda stuck in the middle for me, the runt of the litter.

But yeah, now that I think about it, I probably should give it another run one of these days.

with the absolute worst combat of all From games that I've played.

Odd, Elden Ring is p. much DS 3.5 in that regard, and I remember you liking it.

Odd, Elden Ring is p. much DS 3.5 in that regard, and I remember you liking it.

I thought Elden Ring also had shit combat, just a bit less so than Dark Souls 3. As a game overall I liked it in the beginning but by the end I was fucking sick of it and just wanted to be done already. I really doubt I will ever replay it. DS 1/2 and Sekiro so far are the only From titles I really liked. Perhaps I would also like Bloodborne, too bad it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
I never played it.

You should ignore the hate and try. I loved DS2 as a hexer

Hexers were fun for rolling scrubs, but the Rebel's Greatshield could totally shut it down.

I preferred running bare hands, AKA "The Real Man" build. This allowed fists to actually deal damage:
https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Vanquisher's+Seal

These legs here looked just like bluejeans:
https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Faraam+Boots

Those legs were the only armor I wore, and I showed scrubs how to fight like a man, no buffs or spells.

It was actually possible and viable to fight like a man in DS2, so I prefer it over 3 for that 1 reason.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I very strongly enjoyed this game, it has some of the best action combat when it comes to both large bosses as well as humanoids your size. Mainly because it doesn't revolve around abusing rolling around like a goofball but instead blocks, parries and ripostes (especially when played with a sword). It has some nice skill progression too, mainly unlocking more moves to fit your style but I hear some builds can trivialize some encounters and it may overstay its welcome at particularly high levels but overall I think it is better than Sekiro, which is the only souls game I like.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So a friend pestered me into playing Overwatch 2 and I signed up for PS+. I didn't enjoy it and regretted signing up for a year. I just checked my monthly games and this game is one of them. Fucking sweet. So I guess this is my next game then, once I finish my current Elden Ring playthrough.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I liked the opening castle of Nioh because it felt very Demon's Souls-y (in hindsight I guess because I actually played Demon's Souls [remake] after Nioh), and story-wise it was a bit more intriguing in the beginning.
But in every other way I think Nioh 2 is better.

I liked the opening castle of Nioh because it felt very Demon's Souls-y (in hindsight I guess because I actually played Demon's Souls [remake] after Nioh), and story-wise it was a bit more intriguing in the beginning.
But in every other way I think Nioh 2 is better.
So far Nioh 2's story seems to be a series of breezy vignettes that your mute self-insert protag is involved in rather than the concrete individual journey of Nioh. Not necessarily a bad thing but a markedly different approach. I’ve met my long-lost father (and watched him die 10 seconds later), met my long-lost sister and killed my long-lost twin brother all before the 3rd map with barely a pip of acknowledgement from the PC.

I didn't understand wtf story of this was but then I didn't really care. I'm gonna have to start playing it again because I have a new xbox pad now. Unless the fucking thing breaks before I'm done with DMC V. It's less than month that I have it so far so I guess I have at least one more month left before left stick goes to shit again.

Deflowerer

Arcane
The expectation with the story is that you are familiar with the period and the historic characters, so the events are basically a fantastic take on what really happened in addition to all the realistic-sounding events that have been passed down by historians.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Started playing this myself recently despite having d1p the game when it came out on PC and having loved the first one.

First impression is that the game is more Nioh 1 which is excellent since that was a 10/10 game and I don't mind more of the same. Better this way than having a radical change in direction like some open world bullshit.

Played the first 3 missions so far and in the good category I think the level design is better and the new weapons are really cool. I thought about starting with spear+kus, tried fists and I really liked their moveset, my love from the first game, the dual swords, and finally settled on the switch glaive which is awesome and looks a lot like a trick weapon from Bloodborne.
:love:
I'm using it 100% of the time now, but I think I'll try mixing it with fists a bit later on.

I also appreciate being able to make your own custom character from the start. It's a minor thing, but I like it better this way.

The bad part is that I don't really like how Yokais now seem to be much harder than the previous game. I remember those basic demon looking ones with yellow/orange looking crystals on them being much easier to knock down once you broke the crystals. Also some of the new ones like the one legged version, especially the sword wielding ones, are pretty bullshit.

While I like the shift to yokai realm in the levels, I don't appreciate it as much when it comes to bosses which, at least these ones in the missions I played, are quite more difficult from the ones in Nioh 1 and quite a bit into bullshit territory. I'm not ashamed to admit I got filtered by the snake boss in the 3rd mission and only managed to get past him with the help of a friendly fellow 'dexer.
:brodex:
Overall tho', game is still a 10/10 and absolutely :incline:

The bad part is that I don't really like how Yokais now seem to be much harder than the previous game. I remember those basic demon looking ones with yellow/orange looking crystals on them being much easier to knock down once you broke the crystals. Also some of the new ones like the one legged version, especially the sword wielding ones, are pretty bullshit.
Thought this intially as well but once you learn how to keep consistently keep pressure on to target their Ki I think Yokai are actually easier than before. I'm running Odachi/Axe and can bully most yokai that stay within striking distance.

Yeah Yokai were only hard to me in the beginning, they stopped being scary pretty soon afterward. Especially when I became consistent with burst counters.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I remember those basic demon looking ones with yellow/orange looking crystals on them being much easier to knock down once you broke the crystals. Also some of the new ones like the one legged version, especially the sword wielding ones, are pretty bullshit.

Can I interest you in our lord and savior, hatchets?

Anonona

Learned

Sekiro is the worst soulslike game. Just pick Nioh and take out everything cool and force the player to use the most boring weapon ever(Katana)
I think the issue is that, despite some influences, Sekiro is not really a Soulslike. In fact the way the combat and the bosses are designed is closer to old action platformers like ninja gaiden or castlevania, with simple yet stimulating and challenging combat with a single main weapon and multiple subweapons that is more about raw skill and reflexes than creating builds or your own character. Is not really in the same genre than DS or ER or even Nioh (ARPGs), is more of a straight action game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone can define "soulslike" as they please but for me the genre is not just about the combat, it's the overall feel.

I've seen people saying the only real soulslikes are DeS/DS/Bloodborne. I guess I'm on the opposite end, in my book even something like Hollow Knight is a soulslike (and one of the best I've ever played to boot).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom