Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

janior

Arcane
Patron
I went back in and happily confirmed I am female!

4342.png
went back to comfirm i am estelle bright from trails in the sky
View attachment 41709View attachment 41710View attachment 41711
bro those temps look fucked up

deuxhero

Arcane
Pretty complex. You've got light and heavy buttons with a few two button combos, three stances and two weapons you can quickly switch between, and lots of special moves. You've also got two trees of per rest abilities, and multiple demon core options (Aria/Dawn of Sorrow's Souls system, but using a meter that charges with kills instead of your MP). You don't need to use everything you have to win, but the ceiling is pretty high.

Spike

Educated
This is making me wanna start another playthrough. Hasn't been that long ago though. :positive:
rp3h11.png
It's so good. How long would you say 1 playthrough takes? I am guessing 100 hours? I do every side mission.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Hard to answer, depends on what you consider a single playthrough. I think you can probably run through the base game and all DLCs in about 50-60 hours? Highly depends on how good you are at the game. Successive NG cycles is where it starts to get crazy, however.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
According to howlongtobeat the main game + extras is 85 hours, so yeah that estimate seems more accurate.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
mildly interested in this. how complex is the combat?
It 's complex, but honestly that vast majority of that complexity is just kind of filler. Each weapon generally has maybe 2-3 attacks that are actually worth using, while the rest are just inferior. OTOH, if you're going into it blind and trying to figure out whats what yourself, it's such an esoteric clusterfuck you could spend years without ever realizing important basics. Even spreadsheets listing frame data and motion values for everything don't include all the important numbers like when the ki recovery window starts, let alone convey the relative value of hitboxes or compatability with various subtype damage multipliers. If you want to just play, it's fun and has a ton of variety, not getting super difficult until the end/post game. If you want to just win, you can look up or ask for advice on your favourite weapons and just use a simple combo over and over. If you want to breakdance on all enemies and look impressive... good luck and set aside a few thousand hours to practice.

Spike

Educated
mildly interested in this. how complex is the combat?
It 's complex, but honestly that vast majority of that complexity is just kind of filler. Each weapon generally has maybe 2-3 attacks that are actually worth using, while the rest are just inferior. OTOH, if you're going into it blind and trying to figure out whats what yourself, it's such an esoteric clusterfuck you could spend years without ever realizing important basics. Even spreadsheets listing frame data and motion values for everything don't include all the important numbers like when the ki recovery window starts, let alone convey the relative value of hitboxes or compatability with various subtype damage multipliers. If you want to just play, it's fun and has a ton of variety, not getting super difficult until the end/post game. If you want to just win, you can look up or ask for advice on your favourite weapons and just use a simple combo over and over. If you want to breakdance on all enemies and look impressive... good luck and set aside a few thousand hours to practice.
As an odachi enjoyer, my answer is simply: Mid stance square square triangle into high stance, square triangle to do that upward cutting move that has two slashes.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I spent a lot of time arguing with people once upon a time about the merits of ki pulsing before realizing some attacks on some weapons render it literally worthless, as you recover more ki by simply blocking or moving to cancel the animation more quickly. Nowhere in the game is this concept explained, nor in any guides I had seen. Suddenly my preference for certain moves made much more sense. Just spam the roundhouse kick; it basically costs nothing and lets you guard before you're even done. Try to do the same thing with the odachi or even other moves with the gauntlets and you'll run out of ki and your blocks will be too slow to matter.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
So, I started another playthrough. On the second story mission where you fight Enenra I get into a fight with 3 Gaki.
Gaki #3 grabs me out of the recovery animation of the ground takedown I did on Gaki #2, of which the recovery animation places me in a fire, causing me to burn to death before I'm even able to regain control of my character.
It's good to be back. :positive:

Spike

Educated
So I feel like a game journo wuss for getting a co-op guy to help me with Daidara Bocchi. I just didn't wanna do le gimmick fight. But it was too easy when I got the help. And I wish I fought the guy properly because it was actually kind of a neat gimmick...:oops:

So I feel like a game journo wuss for getting a co-op guy to help me with Daidara Bocchi. I just didn't wanna do le gimmick fight. But it was too easy when I got the help. And I wish I fought the guy properly because it was actually kind of a neat gimmick...:oops:

That fight is easy mode even without a summon, can only imagine how easy it is with help.

Spike

Educated

That fight is easy mode even without a summon, can only imagine how easy it is with help.
Yeah, I was just impatient. Kind of silly. Still, probably my least favorite fight in the entire game so far.

Yeah, I was just impatient. Kind of silly. Still, probably my least favorite fight in the entire game so far.

There is another after it that is my least favorite and is also gimmicky. Bocchi at least isn't annoying to me, that one is. The throwing of rocks before you reach the stone fucker though, that actually does annoy me a little.

Last edited:
Started a fresh run few days ago, trying out kusarigama for now. Looks like I picked the easy mode of the game by going for odachi on first run, kusarigama seems a little more complicated. Fun though. Except the game decided to be an utter cunt with drops for first few missions. I ended up using a level 10 kusarigama I picked up early on in mission 2 all the way up to middle of mission 5 because a better one just won't drop. Every other types of weapon? Sure, have them all at level 35+ already while you're still stuck with a level 10 kusarigama, faggot. Died to Enenra in mission 2 few times, then took 8 tries to kill the snake fuck in mission 3 and even died to the human boss in mission 4 few times, even though I beat him on first try on first run. When finally better kusarigama dropped in mission 5 it was a massive jump in damage. And of course after that they are dropping regularly now.

I love this game, already feeling addicted again. This time I won't bother with majority of side missions though, learned my lesson with the previous character. And I won't be grinding Underworld for item levels either once I reach final NG cycle, want to go through that without being OP as fuck.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks like I picked the easy mode of the game by going for odachi on first run, kusarigama seems a little more complicated. Fun though.
Exactly my thoughts and what I did in Nioh 1. Odachi was very powerful but grew kindda stale. There was this one big dick damage move that I used constantly bc it'd be inefficient to do anything else and I just got tired of it.

Respecced to kusarigama that seemed a less powerful but ultimately much more fun.

Jinn

Arcane
Kusarigama felt slightly overpowered to me in Nioh 1. It was the the first weapon I really warmed up to. High stance is an absolute murderer if you're building your character right, and the pull attack is one of the best moves in the game, imo. It all evened out with that build though, because I went light armor, and medium-heavy armor is king in Nioh 1.

Exactly my thoughts and what I did in Nioh 1. Odachi was very powerful but grew kindda stale.

I didn't finish Nioh 1, only played about a third of its first NG cycle probably so I wouldn't know how boring it gets there. I wouldn't say I was bored with odachi in Nioh 2, thought it was a really fun weapon. But then I wasn't spamming a single move for entire run and I got into those stance switching moves in later NG cycles. Still, enjoying how different it feels with kusarigama now. I quite like the move where you pull yourself towards enemy while doing a spinning attack, looks real cool.

It all evened out with that build though, because I went light armor, and medium-heavy armor is king in Nioh 1.

I don't see myself using light armor in Nioh 2 either, Toughness stat seems way too good to pass up.

Also it seems like I'll end up using more or less same Omnyo talismans again. I definitely see no logical reason to ever not use Barrier. Probably gonna be using Ninjutsu feathers for all 3 elements again too, at least for now.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom