Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Suicidal

Arcane
I am this close to rageposting about this game. I love it but holy schnikes. This first snake boss is ridiculous. I don't think I'm underleveled or anything. Am I not utilizing all of my resources or something? It's insane, it feels way harder than anything in Nioh 1 so early. Or I guess it is comparable to that yellow lightning tiger/leopard guy (Noe?). You can get attacked from so many angles and the little poison swamps make me want to go on a rampage. Taking a break for now but will go back at some point.
Snake was hard for me during the first encounter but whenever I fought it again I always first tried with no problems, so I guess it's something like a mechanics check. Friendly reminder to block its wide tail whip attack instead of trying to dodge. Also make sure you destroy all the 3 poison statues in the level, which will drain all the poison pools in the boss arena.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm one of the rare people who didn't have a problem with the snake. I attribute it completely to fist-weapon superiority. I think I got it on the second try.

Spike

Educated
Thanks, all. Did not expect such an outpouring of genuinely helpful advice. I had a hunch I needed to destroy other statues...That will make it much easier...I am so close even with the little pools left (a couple are drained). Great tip about Mezuki + high/low stance dodging, and to even block his tail whip. All very good contributions.

I'm one of the rare people who didn't have a problem with the snake. I attribute it completely to fist-weapon superiority. I think I got it on the second try.
Funny, I started with Fists + Glaive or whatever it was but went back to my favored Sword + Odachi combo from 1. I'm like Fighter from 8bit Theater. I like swords.

Spike

Educated
Thanks, all. Did not expect such an outpouring of genuinely helpful advice. I had a hunch I needed to destroy other statues...That will make it much easier...I am so close even with the little pools left (a couple are drained). Great tip about Mezuki + high/low stance dodging, and to even block his tail whip. All very good contributions.

Funny, I started with Fists + Glaive or whatever it was but went back to my favored Sword + Odachi combo from 1. I'm like Fighter from 8bit Theater. I like swords.
I did it! Only took a few more tries. Finding that snake statue wasn't tough either, but it was nicely hidden in a side-corner I didn't check. Just having no poison puddles helped tremendously, plus switching to my Odachi to delve out the ki damage worked wonders. I didn't even finish the other sneks off for the final attempt, just kept running around and focusing on the big guy since his health was so low. My attempts before this were much cooler but I will take a triumphant conservative attempt as long as it ends in victory. Thanks again dexers.

I never had a problem with that boss either. I mostly played through with odachi but I think back when I was fighting it for first time I was still using axe.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I never had a problem with that boss either.

I struggled mightily the first time around. The small snakes spitting poison and creating yokai pools seemed overwhelming. Still better than the gauntlet at the end of The Greedy Hunter, which I still hate to this day.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's actually an extremely early / easy side mission, I'm just salty because it gets me every time.

I might've been lucky with my build because I don't remember anything in this game being infuriatingly hard. Hardest parts were just reasonably challenging but never felt like bullshit and I liked that about the game. Maybe it's Toughness stat that is op in the game, I went for highest number I could get in that. Was never stuck on any fight for a long time, at worst it would take about 5 tries.

cruel

Cipher
Snake is extremely weapon-dependent. I struggled really hard (15+ tries) with dual swords, but beat him in less than 5 tries after switching to high-stance Odachi. The overhead attack did wonders.

Spike

Educated
Snake is extremely weapon-dependent. I struggled really hard (15+ tries) with dual swords, but beat him in less than 5 tries after switching to high-stance Odachi. The overhead attack did wonders.
Yes, I noticed this. When I switched from Sword to Odachi and my medium+switch to high stance combo, I did it in like 5 tries max. I love this game though and am excited for the rest of it. And then, when I complete Final Fantasy 1, on to Stranger of Paradise!

cruel

Cipher
Enjoy, the game is great. Definitely the best souls-like out there.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I beat the game while depending on the Odachi as my main weapon and the axe as a back-up. Controversial opinion here, but I think I enjoyed the original Nioh more than Nioh 2. It was fun building my own protaganist, but your character has no personality at all and rarely emotes, but all the NPCs are so alive in comparison. It creates a jarring experience. Also, Nioh 2 gives us a lot more options for customizing your main character, but most of the enemies and environments were cut and pasted from the original game. The battle on the roof versus Lady Osakabe was copied heavily from the hydra battle at the end of the first game. The villages looked similar to each other in Nioh 2, and were the same as the villages in the first Nioh. Because of this, I started getting bored around the second half of Nioh 2 and nearly quit to find something more exciting to do. I pushed myself to finish the game and I'm glad I did since the final stages and boss fights really shined for me. Everything after Lady Osakabe was top-notch with a special mention for the Kashin Koji and Otakemaru boss fights. The fights against those two bosses were top tier when it comes to Souls-like games. It's like Team Ninja saved all of their creative instincts and efforts into ending this short series on a high note. Anyway, I would recommend the game, but try the original Nioh first.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It was years ago now so can't recall fully, but the snakey took me about 4 or 5 tries I believe. Burst counters were invaluable. I used fists+switchglaive.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I beat the game while depending on the Odachi as my main weapon and the axe as a back-up. Controversial opinion here, but I think I enjoyed the original Nioh more than Nioh 2. It was fun building my own protaganist, but your character has no personality at all and rarely emotes, but all the NPCs are so alive in comparison. It creates a jarring experience. Also, Nioh 2 gives us a lot more options for customizing your main character, but most of the enemies and environments were cut and pasted from the original game. The battle on the roof versus Lady Osakabe was copied heavily from the hydra battle at the end of the first game. The villages looked similar to each other in Nioh 2, and were the same as the villages in the first Nioh. Because of this, I started getting bored around the second half of Nioh 2 and nearly quit to find something more exciting to do. I pushed myself to finish the game and I'm glad I did since the final stages and boss fights really shined for me. Everything after Lady Osakabe was top-notch with a special mention for the Kashin Koji and Otakemaru boss fights. The fights against those two bosses were top tier when it comes to Souls-like games. It's like Team Ninja saved all of their creative instincts and efforts into ending this short series on a high note. Anyway, I would recommend the game, but try the original Nioh first.

Everything you said is correct, but I still prefer Nioh's 2 character creation - I think a blank slate protagonist fits this type of game better. Or maybe it was the fact that it has some of the best visual character creation seen in any singleplayer game, period.
I generally like having a well-predeveloped MC for games that have an actual focus on story, so I get what you're saying, but Nioh's all about atmosphere, the environments and cool combat.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
You don't need to play the first Nioh.
That's good. I prefer RPGs with customizable protagonists, although Nioh 1 has a fixed male protagonist, so it wasn't totally out of the question.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That's good. I prefer RPGs with customizable protagonists, although Nioh 1 has a fixed male protagonist, so it wasn't totally out of the question.

I am male!

nioh-attack.gif

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Hm, the character creation was very clearly geared towards incels spending hours to craft their perfect anime waifu. However, I am happy to report, that I am male!

The game is way more elaborate than I thought it would be.

Lambach

Arcane
Yep, pretty common experience I'd say. Snake is the great filter.

That fucking thing is the first Boss in over 10 years that almost made me punch the shit out of my screen (Manus from Dark Souls 1 was the one before her). During the first playthrough, I didn't know you can remove the poison from the combat area before you get there, so I spent hours and hours dying to it.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
That fucking thing is the first Boss in over 10 years that almost made me punch the shit out of my screen (Manus from Dark Souls 1 was the one before her). During the first playthrough, I didn't know you can remove the poison from the combat area before you get there, so I spent hours and hours dying to it.
Yeah, I feel you there. That thing was a stark reminder of my potential to get REALLY mad at a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom