Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
That guy is a pretty shitty fight, imo. I had considerable trouble with him even on Samurai when his mission first unlocked. Farming him for ethereal Austerity set on Nioh was even more unfun.

In the underworld, I got Shibata Katsuie as a helper and what I did was put up every buff I had (carnage, barrier, extraction, cleansing prayer) with weakness on Saito, let Shibata tank him as much as possible and cheesed him from afar with Arc of Chaos spam while hitting him with Mezuki's yokai ability as soon as it came online since it stuns him and deals quite a bit of ki damage. I got him on the first try like this, but it was very close since a single hit from one of his long range attacks pretty much took 80%+ of my hp.

With AoC the fight is somewhat more tolerable, but without a long range attack, in strict close combat unless you find a way to constantly stun him, he's a massive pain in the ass.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
hello again fellow Wo Long players
i see we are all back to playing Nioh 2

i started from scratch just because

a few things stand out
stances are fun to experiment with against enemies, wo long streamlining this to make it more like From's combat systems is unfortunate
weapon familiarity is a nice touch, also gone from wo long
meaningful weapon upgrades as you progress through NG+, wo long just came out and doesn't have the hundreds of DLC nioh 2 comes with, wait and see

nioh 2 doesn't feel slower paced than wo long, in fact over the last few hours of playing Nioh 2 I think it is faster paced in Nioh 2, and wo long is the one with the slower pace of play
wo long feels faster paced (illusion) because the stamina, and anima bars are combined in an interesting manner. i do like what they did with this in wo long. however i can take on many enemies at once in Nioh 2 and movement feels quicker

wo long feels like the director is experimenting with new ideas, which is good, and hopefully Nioh 3 will be better for it

Fuck I'm an idiot. Turns out I can actually pray to multiple of those Jizzing Kodamas to get every single buff for the Crucible boss fights. For some reason I assumed I can only have one of the buffs. Just discovered this on floor 12.

Also I don't understand why the fuck they gave me two treasure rooms in a row after first two floors and didn't give me a single one of them since. Fuck you devs for teasing me like that. Yeah it's not like I would want to have those treasure rooms now, once I've actually applied that Lapis Lazuli to give me better drops. Cunts.

Now I find out that those fucking tea utensils can actually improve my luck and the amount of money I gain. Actually kinda pissed me off, I ran entire game having Luck stat at close to zero because I ignored some faggy hut decoration feature. Fucking japs and their convoluted game mechanics. Gotta wonder what else I missed.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I gave up on the tea utensil thing after about 20 in a row were appraised as garbage and subsequently destroyed. I figured between the blacksmith and replaying missions too much (buildfagging) I'd get through.

That guy is a pretty shitty fight, imo. I had considerable trouble with him even on Samurai when his mission first unlocked. Farming him for ethereal Austerity set on Nioh was even more unfun.

In the underworld, I got Shibata Katsuie as a helper and what I did was put up every buff I had (carnage, barrier, extraction, cleansing prayer) with weakness on Saito, let Shibata tank him as much as possible and cheesed him from afar with Arc of Chaos spam while hitting him with Mezuki's yokai ability as soon as it came online since it stuns him and deals quite a bit of ki damage. I got him on the first try like this, but it was very close since a single hit from one of his long range attacks pretty much took 80%+ of my hp.

With AoC the fight is somewhat more tolerable, but without a long range attack, in strict close combat unless you find a way to constantly stun him, he's a massive pain in the ass.
Total wanker. Can't miss a single Ki pulse otherwise you lose the stamina battle and get fucked. Beat him 1st time by being very, very aggressive and applying corruption.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I spent a fair bit of time on Nioh 1 and a bit of time on Nioh 2 and I think it's fair to say that I'm dog shit at the games and don't like them anywhere near as much as From's games and some other companies' Souls likes.

Can anyone give me an idea of what makes it click for them? Is it that it's more action-oriented and loot focused? Is it that you have to buy your weapon skills to fill out your move set which is RPGish? What is it?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wo Long was so gross it made me want to get Nioh 2

Maybe this was a really expensive ad campaign to revive Nioh 2 sales.

:philosoraptor:
kr0nh62mug931.jpg

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I spent a fair bit of time on Nioh 1 and a bit of time on Nioh 2 and I think it's fair to say that I'm dog shit at the games and don't like them anywhere near as much as From's games and some other companies' Souls likes.
I bought the first Nioh after a marathon of the Soul games from DeS to DS3 and wanted more of the same. Now, while there are similarities between Nioh and Souls such as shrines for bonfires, enemies respawning on rest/death, amrita as souls etc., I don't consider these games to be souls-like. Ymmv, but I, for one, only started enjoying the game after I stopped approaching it like a Souls game rather than its own thing.

what makes it click for them
For me, the combat system which is excellent and one of the best ones I've seen along with the build faggotry. In Nioh 2, in terms of the latter, you need to consider what weapon or weapons you're using, what accessories, what armor pieces, what combination of sets or graces you have on them, the effects on the items you're using, the guardian spirit, the cores on the guardian spirit, stats, what weapon skills you're using (while you can max the weapon skill tree, this happens considerably late and active skill slots are limited), the clan, whether you mix in magic or ninjutsu in your build and so on. Planning all that then seeing it in action is a thing of beauty.

I don't like diablo style loot, but I understand why they went for it and while I dislike the grinding which can get extremely irritating at times, there is a great satisfaction when the build finally comes together and those enemies and bosses that gave you hell before suddenly start to melt.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Can anyone give me an idea of what makes it click for them? Is it that it's more action-oriented and loot focused? Is it that you have to buy your weapon skills to fill out your move set which is RPGish? What is it?

For me it's the variety on offer. Nioh / 2 are probably the only Soulslikes that actually beat Dark Souls 2 in that regard. Nioh 1 has an honest to God rock throwing build that annihilates everything in your path.

Ivan

Arcane

I think it's the loot/Diablo aspect of them. I remember fuck all of ANY of Nioh 1's levels. Corridors by a different color. I remember bashing my head against its bosses, succeeding, and repeating the process. A decent time, but definitely lacking that adventure feel that Souls / action brawlers give me (Souls, DMC, God Hand, Revengeance).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You come to Nioh for the combat system (each weapon has an abundance of unlockable special moves, and the stances alone are basically Bloodborne's trick weapons on steroids), but you stay for the build faggotry.

Different weapons encourage different playstyles, which then get multiplied by the ridiculous amount of different bonuses you can get from equipment. And that's what makes me love these games despite multiple flaws that, in other situations, would ruin a game on their own for me (color-coded loot, a pathetic story, lack of enemies variety, recycled content, repeated levels, copypasted missions).

somerandomdude

Learned
Nioh 2 has games like Dark Souls and Elden Ring beat in 2 important categories IMO, the combat has more depth, and there's more depth in the builds. There's a reason why I put 4x more hours into Nioh 2 vs Elden Ring before getting bored. I agree with the others that Wo Long isn't nearly as good as Nioh 2. Because it lacks the depth in the combat and builds that Nioh 2 had.

Nioh 2 has games like Dark Souls and Elden Ring beat in 2 important categories IMO, the combat has more depth, and there's more depth in the builds. There's a reason why I put 4x more hours into Nioh 2 vs Elden Ring before getting bored.

I spent 216 hours on this already, character close to 600 level, and I'm sure that it will be reaching that max 750 level. And this is another thing it does way better than From games - NG+ cycles. Unless I guess you hate the idea that unlocking all NG+ cycles is basically mandatory if you really want to experience everything game has to offer.

Yeah presentation isn't anyhere near From level but mechanical superiority of this game compared to any of their games I played makes it more addictive to me. Still staying on same weapon that I switched to initially from Axe, Odachi. Feels like I might actually do a completely fresh run in the future to try different weapons. And still only Brute Guardian Spirits used, haven't properly tried Feral or Phantom and how their burst counters work. Feels like those 5 NG cycles are like one playthrough in this game. And I got addicted to running through this Underworld shit to farm for Lapis Lazuli. Gotta get my equipment drop levels up. Ignoring last difficulty campaign missions for so long that I actually got over leveled for them now, whereas before I was more than 100 levels below recommended. This shit is a pretty strong drug.

Oh and just today I learned there are Patronage points I can spend at blacksmith to get discounts for soul matching and tempering. Amazing, I am learning so fast in this game.

Last edited:

somerandomdude

Learned
Nioh 2 has games like Dark Souls and Elden Ring beat in 2 important categories IMO, the combat has more depth, and there's more depth in the builds. There's a reason why I put 4x more hours into Nioh 2 vs Elden Ring before getting bored.

I spent 216 hours on this already, character close to 600 level, and I'm sure that it will be reaching that max 750 level. And this is another thing it does way better than From games - NG+ cycles. Unless I guess you hate the idea that unlocking all NG+ cycles is basically mandatory if you really want to experience everything game has to offer.

Yeah presentation isn't anyhere near From level but mechanical superiority of this game compared to any of their games I played makes it more addictive to me. Still staying on same weapon that I switched to initially from Axe, Odachi. Feels like I might actually do a completely fresh run in the future to try different weapons. And still only Brute Guardian Spirits used, haven't properly tried Feral or Phantom and how their burst counters work. Feels like those 5 NG cycles are like one playthrough in this game. And I got addicted to running through this Underworld shit to farm for Lapis Lazuli. Gotta get my equipment drop levels up. Ignoring last difficulty campaign missions for so long that I actually got over leveled for them now, whereas before I was more than 100 levels below recommended. This shit is a pretty strong drug.

Oh and just today I learned there are Patronage points I can spend at blacksmith to get discounts for soul matching and tempering. Amazing, I am learning so fast in this game.
I agree, the NG+ cycles in Nioh 1 and 2 were exceptionally well done. There was actually continued improvement to be had in equipment and modifiers. Unfortunately, they totally dropped the ball on this in Wo Long, which I discussed in the topic about gear in NG+ not being hardly any better than base game gear. Gear goes to +9 in NG, and it's still capped at +9 in NG+. You're getting zero base attack or defense increases on NG+ gear.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter

I agree, the NG+ cycles in Nioh 1 and 2 were exceptionally well done. There was actually continued improvement to be had in equipment and modifiers. Unfortunately, they totally dropped the ball on this in Wo Long, which I discussed in the topic about gear in NG+ not being hardly any better than base game gear. Gear goes to +9 in NG, and it's still capped at +9 in NG+. You're getting zero base attack or defense increases on NG+ gear.
Hopefully this gets sorted out with the DLC. It could just be that Team Ninja had to release the game for budgetary purposes (within the quarter), but have plans for a full game when the DLC is finalised.

My attack power gone up from around 3.6k to 5.6k while doing Underworld and still haven't touched any more main missions. I guess they will be easy mode when I get around to it. 57 floors done in Underworld, cannot be arsed to go to all Kodamas in those floors anymore, most of the time I just go straight to boss after first one, to rush to higher floors faster. Or when I find a floor with boss whose Soul Core is relevant to me, I tend to do couple more runs to it. Like Ryomen Sukuna on floor 56.

Underworld blessings for better loot drops work only on level synced main missions, right? At least that's the way description makes it sound.

Feels like I'm kinda done with this run. Weapon and armor +values keep increasing, 95 floors of Underworld completed, close to +100 values now. Played few of the main missions, all of them were a joke now. It doesn't look like special effects on gear are gonna become any more interesting and it's just the Attack and Defense values that will keep going up, which isn't that fun. Game never became really tough like I expected it to, but it is challenging enough in the end game to force me to pay attention at least. I guess I just got too good at dealing with all the enemies, burst counters almost always landing perfectly, never getting caught by grab attacks anymore, etc. The toughest part of the game was the first third or half of NG, before I started figuring how everything works and my build started coming together. I guess I'll rush through the rest of the Underworld floors and put this on break for now. Don't really see the point of doing the main missions of DotN now that I'm way too OP for them.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Don't really see the point of doing the main missions of DotN now that I'm way too OP for them.

Fair enough, but I love steamrolling previously difficult content after grinding out all the gear and effects I want. I won't defend those wins as legitimate, but certainly entertaining.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
I'm only on level 22 of the underworld, and the missions are considerably easier. Even in terms of loot the difference is noticeable with + value of gear dropped in missions being some 5-6 levels lower. Still, I find it fun to see bosses that once gave me trouble simply melt. The first game I dropped after about a dozen or so level in the underworld, but this time 'round it looks like I might see it to the end.

To spice things up a bit, I've started a few new characters as well to try out the other weapons. Single + dual sword, which is what I played in Nioh 1, is still strong and fun and I think I'll take this one as well up to DotN, especially since I'm already eyeing a build for the end game. Besides that, I did a few missions in ch.1 with the odachi, the hatchets, fists and kusurigama. From these, I like the kus the most and, perhaps surprisingly, fists the least but of course it's still early so after I unlock a few more skills, it might change. Axe, tonfas, spear and staff don't look very attractive to me, but I'll probably clear a couple or three chapters with them as well.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any scythe and splitstaff users here?. In general which kind of omnyo magic do u run with these since also scale with magic?.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom