Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

I switched to Corrupted late game because I switched to Brute guardian spirit that had the most attunement slots, and it happened to give bonuses to Corrupted style. Before that I was using mostly Lightning weapons because I liked the slow effect on enemies. I actually thought because I was so used to enemies being constantly slowed I would have trouble ditching it but nope, not much trouble at all. Damage increase while weapon is "awakened" is certainly noticeable. I just hope using a weapon that is shining in pink color won't turn me into a faggot.

Also I liked that having barely over 500 in Ninjutsu power still made feathers useful on highest difficulty. As long as you have one of each element and use correct ones per enemy type when they are out of Ki you can still deal good damage. And they are also very quick to apply elemental status effects. Talisman duration was also decent enough with Omnyo power slightly above 500 and that mystic art that extends duration. So if anyone is wondering whether it's a waste of points to invest in both Omnyo and Ninjutsu just to use them for support - it isn't. I have both at 90 now, still around 80 levels left to max and I'm already not sure which stat to increase, with both Stamina and Constitution at 200. Doesn't seem like any of the remaining stats would give much use, past trying to combine multiple "Ultimate" bonuses. Of which I had acquired only "Ultimate Stamina" so far. Was gonna go for more of those but just can never get a drop of scroll with the right bonuses. And I seem OP enough already anyway.

Last edited:

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Any scythe and splitstaff users here?. In general which kind of omnyo magic do u run with these since also scale with magic?.
I've used the glaive from close to the beginning of the game to DotN, haven't touched the splitstaff yet. Right now, I have 4 carnage, 4 barriers, 3 extractions and 6 familiars slotted, 3 for water and 3 for lightning.

Carnage is a no brainer for the damage boost, barrier for faster ki recovery and to dispel yokai pools which is great since it makes keeping up Cleansing Prayer easier, extraction since I have life recovery on amrita absorption on armor, soul core and from clan and the familiars are to apply confusion and debuff enemy attack power since the Onmyo Austerity set has reduced attack on magic hit.

Last edited:

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Right now, I have 4 carnage, 4 barriers, 3 extractions and 6 familiars slotted, 3 for water and 3 for lightning.
Im on Dawn era so far, I've been using lightning,ki damage and barrier. I picked switchglaive as one of my main weapons because a veteran buddy told me is among the best to learn the fundamentals of Nioh 2 combat, since you can swap mid combo and every stance are drastically different (I run low->high stance playstyle). He also suggested me to get somewhat competent at fluxing.

D_X

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Learning how to play with the stance switches is not a bad idea since both glaive mystic arts make use of them and the attack once you get 5 stacks up deals quite a bit of damage plus each stack increases damage for all attacks so you could set them up, not use the finisher and enjoy the extra damage. Just keep an eye out to refresh it.

Personally, I find it tedious to set it up, the attack itself has quite some charging time and I'm currently melting underworld bosses without it so I ended up playing 99% of the time in high stance only even if it means leaving extra damage on the table. Of course, if the damage output starts to dip compared to enemy defenses then it's something to reconsider.

Spike

Educated
Just started this yesterday. Love these games. Usually I'm a swordlad (played Nioh 1 with Sword/Odachi) but I decided to initially go with Hatchets/Splitstaff. I was not comfortable with the timings, so I restarted with Fists/Odachi. I am still not entirely sure about the timing with the fists, so I might restart again with Sword/Odachi lol. Are there new sword skills in this game compared to 1? Fists are super fun but something just feels wrong that I am not playing with a good old fashioned vanilla sword.

Why would you need to restart? Just equip the weapons you want and go from there.
Min/max stat autism. I usually don't min/max but I figure it's very early in the game still.

You get more than enough levels to max out what you need in this game, plus increasing stats becomes near useless past soft caps. All you'd be doing with restarts is wasting your time. Eventually I ended up raising all the stats that weren't core of my build to at least 25-30 just because I ran out of main stats to level.

Spike

Educated
Why would you need to restart? Just equip the weapons you want and go from there.
Min/max stat autism. I usually don't min/max but I figure it's very early in the game still.

You get more than enough levels to max out what you need in this game, plus increasing stats becomes near useless past soft caps. All you'd be doing with restarts is wasting your time. Eventually I ended up raising all the stats that weren't core of my build to at least 25-30 just because I ran out of main stats to level.
Thank you, this helps. I figured as much. But my skill points I mean. I have invested into Fists.

Thank you, this helps. I figured as much. But my skill points I mean. I have invested into Fists.

If you think you could've invested fists skill points into other weapons you are mistaken. Weapons have separate skill points that you get by simply using them. And the higher level weapons you use the faster you get skill points because that is based on damage that you do.

notpl

Arbiter
Just started this yesterday. Love these games. Usually I'm a swordlad (played Nioh 1 with Sword/Odachi) but I decided to initially go with Hatchets/Splitstaff. I was not comfortable with the timings, so I restarted with Fists/Odachi. I am still not entirely sure about the timing with the fists, so I might restart again with Sword/Odachi lol. Are there new sword skills in this game compared to 1? Fists are super fun but something just feels wrong that I am not playing with a good old fashioned vanilla sword.
To answer your question directly, yes there are many new sword skills compared to 1. Sword has the most unique skills in the game, the trouble is that many of them are rare boss scroll drops and will require you to replay a stage a few times until you exhaust that boss's unique drop pool of all the smithing texts and other things.

Spike

Educated

If you think you could've invested fists skill points into other weapons you are mistaken. Weapons have separate skill points that you get by simply using them. And the higher level weapons you use the faster you get skill points because that is based on damage that you do.
Oh hey, you're right. Thank you.
To answer your question directly, yes there are many new sword skills compared to 1. Sword has the most unique skills in the game, the trouble is that many of them are rare boss scroll drops and will require you to replay a stage a few times until you exhaust that boss's unique drop pool of all the smithing texts and other things.
That is exactly what I was looking for for confirmation. Thank you.

So I am absolutely going with Sword/Odachi now. I remade a new guy (again lol) and first-tried that first big yokai at the starting area. With the other weapons (fists/hatchets/splitstaff) I had a terrible time and had to sullenly sneak by like a coward. I am a samurai ninja, not a coward thank you very much. I am having an absolute blast. It just feels right. I have orthodox sensibilities I guess. Also just used to normal sword + big sword from 100+ hours in Nioh 1.

Now my only problem is sperging about my character's appearance. I will not bother you fine Codexians with that, though. :D

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Im progressing through Dream of the Strong and swapped my Splitstaf/SwitchGlaive for Hatchets/tonfas now.
I really didnt dig hatchets until I unlocked some really nifty mobility options. I also finally managed to achieve A/A in agility/toughness rating with around 40 stamina and a mixed divine rarity gear of lone wolf with other stuff.
I wanna swap it into omnyo austerity way later in the game, but I dunno if it's possible to keep the A/A rating with it. Is a rather heavy medium set.

I don't think I could resist raising Stamina to 100 with any build in this game, having at least 200+ Toughness is just too good to pass up.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Stamina is almost too generous. Equipment burden which leans directly into toughness, pretty good HP returns and damage scaling with the two most beginner-friendly weapons in the game. Very much the successor to Dark Souls 2's adaptability or New Vegas' luck.

Mystary!

Arcane

Oh hey, you're right. Thank you.
That is exactly what I was looking for for confirmation. Thank you.

So I am absolutely going with Sword/Odachi now. I remade a new guy (again lol) and first-tried that first big yokai at the starting area. With the other weapons (fists/hatchets/splitstaff) I had a terrible time and had to sullenly sneak by like a coward. I am a samurai ninja, not a coward thank you very much. I am having an absolute blast. It just feels right. I have orthodox sensibilities I guess. Also just used to normal sword + big sword from 100+ hours in Nioh 1.

Now my only problem is sperging about my character's appearance. I will not bother you fine Codexians with that, though. :D

You can change appearence whenever you like after finishing the first mission. Just swing by the Hut.

Spike

Educated
I am this close to rageposting about this game. I love it but holy schnikes. This first snake boss is ridiculous. I don't think I'm underleveled or anything. Am I not utilizing all of my resources or something? It's insane, it feels way harder than anything in Nioh 1 so early. Or I guess it is comparable to that yellow lightning tiger/leopard guy (Noe?). You can get attacked from so many angles and the little poison swamps make me want to go on a rampage. Taking a break for now but will go back at some point.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Yep, pretty common experience I'd say. Snake is the great filter.
If there's poison pools you didn't destroy all the snake statues. High stance is great for taking out the arms with most weapons, you want the stance with the most overhead attacks. Also, don't be afraid to block stuff with the exception of its charge, just remember to leave mid stance for dodging purposes when you can. The tail swipes are a lot harder to dodge without the extra i-frames low/high stance offer.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Biscotti pretty much covered it, but a couple of other things that might help:

1. Make sure you have the Mezuki soul core equipped. When the boss goes into dark realm and the arms split off, get in close and use Mezuki's swipe to kill them out of the gate.
2. Lightning does pretty good damage and makes his tail whips easier to scout, since he'll be slowed. Well worth farming an onmyo point.
3. Spam anything that does decent ki damage. He doesn't have Enenra's infinite back dashes or damaging realm shift, so once his ki is whittled down, he's a huge punching bag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom