Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobody Wants To Die - cyberpunk interactive noir story

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Why do people keep trying to make artdeco retrofutrist cyberpunk happen?
Blade Runner

Which is one of the rare examples of that format being good
...And that's the answer to your question; that's why. If Blade Runner hadn't been good, then no one would be dreaming about it, or trying to make it happen.
We don't see anyone trying to make SpaceHunter, Cherry2000, or Gattaca happen.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Credit where it's due, this game seems to have some serious and unexpected production value.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sad to see there is no game here, just a 30(?) hour POV movie. Click on clue, listen to voice acting. Click on next clue, listen to voice acting. Click on next clue, listen to voice acting. "Gameplay" is not even mentioned; just a lot of talk about the cool setting. I mean I'm glad the writers and artists are proud of their work, but in a detective game I hope to use my brain to actually solve things instead of watching someone else do it.

Edit: I was just guessing about how many hours this might be. Devs have said it's intended to be about 8 hours long which sounds much better imo. If your game is going to be nothing but a movie, make it tight.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Art direction and visuals are nice, good soundtrack too, but yeah, I don't detect any GAMEplay in this gameplay footage.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I don't mind a 5-10 hour walking sim with lightweight puzzles now and then for a change, and this seems to fit the bill. Sometimes it's nice to play such a game just for the atmosphere and the feeling of "being there". Looking forward to this, but it doesn't seem to be an adventure game (which is fine).

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This released. Reviews say there is at least some choice & consequence so that's good. Also it's only 4 hours which for me is a plus for a movie game. I wouldn't not play it I guess.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm trying to watch a playthrough because I'm interested in the aesthetic, but good god, all the characters are 500% bitchmode whenever they talk.

1721254761107.png

And it's a game that appears to be mostly dialogue.

Gargaune

Arcane
Liking the visuals. Shame it seems to be just a movie-game, but the art direction feels like a breath of fresh air at this point.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching this game on youtube right now. Shitty story and writing, but decent environments. These gadgets are screwing things up, and don't make much investigation.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So the game has pretty graphics and that's absolutely the only positive? What is this studio, a wannabe Bloober Team?
Well they wanted to make game about New York devasted like in 1930s, and they wanted to make it retrofuturistic in year 2130 or so... How do you want to make decent story from random Phil Marlow like story background?

Look. This clip is more cheerful and colorful that what they made.

I'm most pissed of about investigation, because they made it too simple, and the player who playing it on that youtube video suck at using logic and deduction. He uses all clues until it clicks...

I think if they created action game like Bioshock, and added detective investigation it might be decent game, but this movie like game with few interactions from player side...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So the game has pretty graphics and that's absolutely the only positive? What is this studio, a wannabe Bloober Team?

Pretty graphics and running properly is all a video game needs to win approval.

We've forgotten this fact because recent games look bad and run bad, in addition to all the other unwanted baggage that comes with them.

Actual substance like writing, characterization, mechanics, and the finer details of art & sound design are really a matter of taste. And no one ever said that the mainstream audience ever had much taste.

Still, for a no-name studio this is a huge hit.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well the most interesting part is that game was nearly completely hidden until just before launch. Perhaps they didn't do it for money. But still making Phil Marlow the game, detective case in year 2300 or so wasn't the best idea.

Zombra

Patron
Making Phil Marlow the game, detective case in year 2300 or so wasn't the best idea.
Disagree - it's an excellent idea. Problem is they forgot to do anything with it. Look at critically acclaimed detective games like Obra Dinn; Golden Idol; Frogwares' Sherlock games, etc. It may not be a billion dollar market, but the investigation market is definitely there. I would love to see something modern day with the level of innovation of Blade Runner 1997. I think a lot of people would. You just gotta remember to add actual gameplay that supports the theme.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Game got butt-blasted by PC Gamer.
Wow, and I thought you were cherry picking an exceptionally bad line in your earlier post. PCG has a bunch more quotes and the 'banter' is really overwrought and unnatural. Profanity isn't funny unless it feels spontaneous.

I don't want to be my usual overly-critical self, especially since this is an indie project and it may have originally been written in a different language.

But the writing is bad. As in fanfic, worse than modern BioWare tier. Maybe it gets better, I dunno. I am no longer interested in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom