Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I've played the game for 13 hours so far, unlocked half the perks and 30% of spells and monsters. At first I thought the game felt a little barebones, but now the game is opening up a little and I'm finding a lot more fun wands and perks. The most enjoyable run so far was when I had the Lukki Mutation, that made arms come out of my witch and stick to everything, made getting around very different and it looked cool.
Very bad sense of progress in this game, it doesn't seem like you are getting anything done and the harder levels are so hard that they seem impossible. I think that the deathscreen should make a bigger deal out of the stuff that you unlocked.

I also think that the temples should provide you with healing as you left them too. I often find myself trying out new wands there and damaging myself before I actually enter the next level. The perks should also come before the store!

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I also think that the temples should provide you with healing as you left them too. I often find myself trying out new wands there and damaging myself before I actually enter the next level. The perks should also come before the store!

Just dig out from the room, then you can revisit it freely.

Presuming that you can deal the with the consequences.

1.0 hasn't fixed everything unfortunately, I just did a run with 12 orbs and the boss still

had 250k HP

So I guess any kind of "true ending" is not in yet.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I dropped the game. My previous statement proved to be all too true - the engine comes first, the game sometime later... and that time hasn't come yet, despite its 1.0-release.

When playing games like these I would like to know I'm making some progress - that doesn't happen here. Oh, I've found some interesting locations, and I get the feeling I'll have to visit every one of them in one run before reaching an alleged end of the game, but the rogue-like elements of the game make that not worth the bother. Even roguelikes tell you what the end goal is, the tag line for Noita is 'Faff around and find out'.

I might return to this in the future once they've actually made a decent game to go with the nice engine, but I just don't have the time for this. Even in lockdown.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:

Citizen

Idk. I'm playing one game a day (daily run) and having fun with it

Visperas

Augur
I dropped the game. My previous statement proved to be all too true - the engine comes first, the game sometime later... and that time hasn't come yet, despite its 1.0-release.

When playing games like these I would like to know I'm making some progress - that doesn't happen here. Oh, I've found some interesting locations, and I get the feeling I'll have to visit every one of them in one run before reaching an alleged end of the game, but the rogue-like elements of the game make that not worth the bother. Even roguelikes tell you what the end goal is, the tag line for Noita is 'Faff around and find out'.

I might return to this in the future once they've actually made a decent game to go with the nice engine, but I just don't have the time for this. Even in lockdown.

Man, it's simple, the goal is to reach the bottom and kill the boss. It's not rocket science.

Farewell into the night

To me it is similar to the oldschool games like snake, galaga etc. There is much room for implementing new things.

ciox

Liturgist

Figure out the basics of wand crafting and it becomes a lot more fun, no need to get obsessive, you can get powerful effects just by combining a few spells, like: ping pong path, luminous drill, chainsaw, spark bolt.
Perk system also has lots of synergies with other perks and spells, allowing you to go for builds.
Spells are often powerful but hard to control, especially lightning bolt, only experience will let you wrangle them into useful tools.

Area knowledge:
Dark cave: go there once you have light and a way to drain all the water for free health and magic liquids
Fungal zones: your choice go there and look for good wands if you're strong enough, or skip them
Hiisi base: anvil fixes broken wands turning them into great wands usually, their healers can be tricked to heal you with various methods
Pyramid, Jungle, Chasms: these hold midbosses you can go fight if you feel you're ready, experience will eventually tell you when you're ready

Basically the initial impression that it's a tech demo with no substance comes easily, but it's wrong.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To give further clarification to some:

I have been gaming for 34 years now. I've Been Through Things. I've even been through the experience of finding out I had a Bonus Game on the flip-side on one of my (poorly) store-bought floppy disks. I played this particular Bonus Game with no manual, no first-hand, or second-hand, or third-hand information on hand, AND as I came to learn just last year, a game that withheld information due to which computer I was playing the game on. Guess what? I still beat it. I figured everything out. I learned how to play, I learned how to win. There was no Internet back then, there was just determination and persistance.

And decades later, I look at Noita, and I just can't be fucking bothered.

Here's a hint for the devs: If you have all these beasties roaming about in the game, NAME THEM IN ENGLISH. Only drunk people (outside) of Finland are gonna give a toss aboue those names, and they can't read them because they learned what "Kalsarikännit" means.

I see the benefits of this game, and currently they're not matching the time needed for them. I'm not sure if they ever will. :/

Leechmonger

Arbiter
To give further clarification to some:

I have been gaming for 34 years now. I've Been Through Things. I've even been through the experience of finding out I had a Bonus Game on the flip-side on one of my (poorly) store-bought floppy disks. I played this particular Bonus Game with no manual, no first-hand, or second-hand, or third-hand information on hand, AND as I came to learn just last year, a game that withheld information due to which computer I was playing the game on. Guess what? I still beat it. I figured everything out. I learned how to play, I learned how to win. There was no Internet back then, there was just determination and persistance.

And decades later, I look at Noita, and I just can't be fucking bothered.

Here's a hint for the devs: If you have all these beasties roaming about in the game, NAME THEM IN ENGLISH. Only drunk people (outside) of Finland are gonna give a toss aboue those names, and they can't read them because they learned what "Kalsarikännit" means.

I see the benefits of this game, and currently they're not matching the time needed for them. I'm not sure if they ever will. :/

If you consider that people waster their lives away on Diablo or Path of Exile, Noita's praise becomes much easier to understand. Just another game with fairly shallow moment to moment gameplay with systems that try to make you forget that inconvenient fact. The sad thing is this one could have been so much more. But the gameplay design is astoundingly bad and stands in stark contrast to the clever engine they've coded.

To me it is similar to the oldschool games like snake, galaga etc. There is much room for implementing new things.
That's how I've been taking it, too. Not really something I feel concerned to git gud at or try to learn the intricacies of, I just play every once in a while and have a fine time. So in the roguelike/lite department it's sort of a failure since even something as simple as Nuclear Throne inspires more interest in me when it comes to strategizing and planning out my choices, while in Noita it's just "Haha look at that wand. I'm gonna kill myself with that wand but I'm going to use it anyway". There are clearly people who take Noita seriously but after 10-15 hours of playing in it I still give absolutely zero shits but still have fun.

Johannes

Arcane
Is it something like Terraria?

Only on the technological concept level.

Minecraft was one of the first games to successfully pull off the concept "every block simulated", meaning every block in the game is an object and can be interacted with based on its properties. Terraria is the 2D-version of that concept and uses smaller blocks.

Noita is the next generation of that technological concept. It's not "every block simulated", it's "every pixel simulated". No more blocks, it's dots now. Every dot is an object which can be interacted with.

What Noita does is that it opens the door for a Terraria/Minecraft-clone to have every pixel simulated... but I'm guessing that's a few years away, wherever it comes from.
It reminds me a lot more of old Finnish games, like Liero or Wings, refined to have more different terrain and interaction types, rather than anything in those games.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's been stated I believe but this game reminds me the most of yes Liero, but also things like Soldat and the Dan Ball online games/interactive tools.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
Maybe a Liero remake as a Noita mod would be neat, though I do not want Liero with mouse aim.
I have been playing Liero with colleagues a bit lately, and OpenLieroX is pretty janky on Win10 and WebLiero runs poorly.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho physic system is nice but it is completely secondary to what Noita tries to do. It is far from being some test case game. Even without that phys engine it would be great.

---------------

Boy did 1.0 changed things compared to Early Access i played a year ago. Routes i used earlier to break out are now defended by some proper threats while easy health pickups now are replaced with boss battles. It increases for sure difficulty but it should improve at the same time gameplay.

Is it something like Terraria?

Imagine Terraria without basebuilding on hardcore mode where you can only use what you find. That is essentially Noita in nutshell

Is there any sort of narrative, lore, overarching goals, or whatever - any kind of thing to give meaning to progression - or is it just a sandbox?

Noita is doing Dark Souls thing. There is story there and there is level of depth you can tap into if you are looking for it but at the front there isn't much of it. Just go down and kill boss and win the game.

The thing about it is that it has exact same type of twist Portal had when it came out. It is when you break out of normal thinking shell is when game starts to shine. It is when you start thinking "why do i actually need to go down ?" is when game gets to legit good game level.

It is the kind of game like DS where it expects you to git gud to reward you.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Fair enough, but I think Noita takes it too far. The game just dumps you there, it doesn't even tell you what your overall goal is. WHICH 99% OF ALL GAMES DO.

your goal is to get to the end.
There are many goals. One of them could be to get to NewGame+ (or NewGame++++++++++ :D), or to get all of the Orbs... or to get to the Moon... or to get through The Tower. Getting to the end, or in other words: going down the typical route and killing the main boss, is just the beginning, really.

ciox

Liturgist
Fair enough, but I think Noita takes it too far. The game just dumps you there, it doesn't even tell you what your overall goal is. WHICH 99% OF ALL GAMES DO.

There are many goals. One of them could be to get to NewGame+ (or NewGame++++++++++ :D), or to get all of the Orbs... or to get to the Moon... or to get through The Tower. Getting to the end, or in other words: going down the typical route and killing the main boss, is just the beginning, really.
Yeah, just finding most of the orbs and beating the boss will provide you with plenty of enjoyment, seeing the Gold biome is worth it too. By then you've got a lot of playtime already, equal to many non-indie games.

Perkel

Arcane

One of the goals is to kill anyone spoiling game for people. Starting with you.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane

One of the goals would is to kill anyone spoiling people game. Starting with you.
If there isn't a "NO SPOILERS", "USE SPOILER TAGS" etc. note in the title or in the root post, then you have no reason to complain.

You go ahead and add the note and I'll spoiler-tag the post. That's how it works.

Perkel

Arcane
If there isn't a "NO SPOILERS", "USE SPOILER TAGS" etc. note in the title or in the root post, then you have no reason to complain. You go ahead and add the note and I'll spoiler-tag the post. That's how it works.

Is there also no children fucking sign on every child you see ? When you shave do you have plaster on your throat "no slicing please ?"

Part of the reason why Noita is amazing is that wall you break after a while and you realize you didn't even scratch surface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom