Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Non-post apocalyptic sci-fi RPG thread

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I also forgot to mention Starsector in my list of "Spaceship RPG-ish games".
It is basically Mount and Blade in space in 2D:
I played it ages ago, and it was already quite open ended and fun.

It probably counts even less as an RPG than Mount and Blade, but the gameplay loop is rather similar except you control a flotilla of 2D spaceships instead of a warband.
I think it is still in development (and has been forever, but there has been a lot of progress made, which is another thing that feesl like MnB...)

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I think it is still in development (and has been forever, but there has been a lot of progress made, which is another thing that feesl like MnB...)

The game is still in development, but it's definitely playable. I had a blast for the few weeks I played it nonstop.

Codex Year of the Donut
I also forgot to mention Starsector in my list of "Spaceship RPG-ish games".
It is basically Mount and Blade in space in 2D:
I played it ages ago, and it was already quite open ended and fun.

It probably counts even less as an RPG than Mount and Blade, but the gameplay loop is rather similar except you control a flotilla of 2D spaceships instead of a warband.

bataille

Arcane
http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=PRIME

Mechanically, it's a nethack variant, but the interesting part is its flavour: a hilariously nonsensical collage of random sci-fi creatures, weapons, and technology. You really need to play it to see how crazy it is.

Some old screenshots from my 1 hour long experience with the game. May cause brain damage.
2019-09-29_03_35_22-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_03_40_15-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_03_45_00-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_03_47_28-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_03_55_00-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

This is probably my favourite source
2019-09-29_04_02_09-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

What other weapon would they use? A damage type to be reckoned with.
2019-09-29_04_04_18-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_04_06_14-general-chat_-_Opera.jpg

2019-09-29_04_25_38-general-chat_-_Opera.jpg

2019-09-29_05_02_43-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_05_05_10-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_05_06_24-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

Uh... okay.
2019-09-29_05_38_03-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

Phew, that was close.
2019-09-29_05_38_55-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

2019-09-29_05_19_58-Pesky_Reticulans_Improvements_Moar_Everything.jpg

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy qualify? I haven't played it, but I've heard it's pretty weird.

'pretty weird' doesn't really give credit to how weird EYE *is*. the entire game feels like you're in a hazy fever dream - this is accented by the shoddy french to english translation, the art and lighting design, and even some of the design decisions. you get dice rolls when you shoot people, because, i don't know, the devs decided a source total conversions needs dice rolls added for damage when you shoot someone. it does work, but it feels almost out of place

and yes, it does qualify

Codex Year of the Donut
Stellar Tactics is a still in development sci-fi RPG that looks pretty damn good.

I'm curious if anyone's played it. If so, how do you like it? Steam reviews seem :fabulouslyoptimistic:
Played it a while back, has had a lot of updates since then. The content that was available was pretty good. Not sure when it will be released though so we have to wait a few more years :negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd consider the Starflight games to be RPGs, too. They're both pretty good for 80s games. Worth a try.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/starflight-94
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/starflight-2-trade-routes-of-the-cloud-nebula-ru
Starflight is pretty amazing for being released in '86
The Amiga version seems to have a lot of improvements. The Genesis version is an arcade-y remake(with largely the same story), I'd recommend the Amiga version.
The Atari ST version released inbetween the Amiga and Genesis version, anyone know if it has differences?

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stellar Tactics is a still in development sci-fi RPG that looks pretty damn good.

I'm curious if anyone's played it. If so, how do you like it? Steam reviews seem :fabulouslyoptimistic:
My thoughts when I played it: Great potential, but too little content. But it was more than 1 year ago.
The developer is among the most dedicated I have talked to.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How come nobody mentioned Mars: War Logs and Technomancer by Spiders?
It's low tech sci fi with subtle post-apoc elements.

A Solar system wide cataclysm cut contact between human colonies on Mars and Earth. The people of the colonies had to learn to survive on their own. In absence of a functional government the most powerful companies - water corporations responsible for distribution of most crucial resource, stepped in and created quasi-state entities, which quickly started to wage wars on one another for the riches of the Red Planet.

The tech is low - much knowledge was lost in the conflicts, there are no space travels, the most advanced technology are fast trains that connect major cities. Mars rovers of the first colonists are treated as relics. On the other hand, genetics is quite developped, as a response to the mutating effect of Mars radiation (most inhuman enemies you meet in game are the mutated animals brought from Earth; humans also mutate if exposed to radiation, mutants are persecuted and treated as slaves).

It's a decent series with a fascinating world. Looking forward to the next installment.

Isn't that more like a Crusader clone?
Actually it was more Diablo-like, if memory serves me right. I downloaded it back in 2001 over a 56k connection (took a lot of time and GetRight, as you can imagine). Finished it over a weekend. I liked the sci-fi theme (it had an Aliens vibe), but it got grindy and repetitive after a few levels.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
From the top of my head.

Albion
85_497d30d2a19f2.jpg
85_497d30d3a19dd.jpg

Hired Guns
387_488ae384cd72c.jpg
387_515da3a3b581a.png

Mines of Titan
3736_4f6c355394a00.jpg
3736_4f6c3553937fd.jpg

Alien Logic (more of a hybrid, but beggars can't be choosers)
3028_4d0d56a28137c.jpg
3028_4d0d56a28fc68.jpg

Whale's Voyage 1 & 2
958_48ea63d569b37.jpg
4520_51063a061ec17.jpg

Xenomorph
xeno__0002_layer%2016.jpg
xeno__0007_layer%2011.jpg

Star Cruiser 1 & 2
NP2_0005.png
NP2_0008.png

StarFire
876199-starfire-pc-98-screenshot-enemy-floaters.gif
876195-starfire-pc-98-screenshot-the-galaxy.gif

Psychic City
506754-in-the-psychic-city-pc-88-screenshot-near-future-hunting-of.gif
506756-in-the-psychic-city-pc-88-screenshot-after-the-rich-intro.gif

Kaleidoscope
16e4c502d5b340f2.gif
8f93ee0f282e4946.gif

Cosmic Soldier
cosmicsoldier-12.png

Cosmic Soldier 2
psychicwar-6.png
psychicwar-5.png

You started a thread for a genre that only has about a half-dozen games? :)

We're really lacking those, sadly. Let's see, the Buck Roger games are Gold Box goodness, Megatraveller 1&2, Albion, the Kotors, Deus Ex, Hard Nova, Anachronox, the Battletech Crescent Hawks duology... Do the Starflights and later Star Controls count as RPGs? I think those are all I can conjure from memory. Damn, why are they so rare when they can be so fun? Probably industry wisdom that they don't sell well.

star wolves 3

void expanse-not sure it qualifies, was better than I expected though

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Everything is post-apocalyptic. The whole human recorded history can be seen as post-apocalyptic (in particular from the point of view of a dinosaur or a neanderthal).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom