Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Note of the outskirts - blobber by Cryptrat

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yep, it's craiyon, not sure how exactly it is related to DALL-E. The crappy art fits the heavy metal asthetic I envisioned, obviously faces can be pretty bad but overall the result is messy in a different way which is actually a more coherent and closer way to what I wanted to do, also easier to update with new stuff, than the precedent iterations.
I think DALL-E changed name to Craiyon.
DALL-E mini actually.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Great update! Of course, something handmade and Grimoire-quality would be best, but beggars could not be choosers, and these generated images look very appropriate for your game, capturing a lot of its atmosphere.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
What parts of the game feel like busy work to you (armor reparation, medicine uses, retrying skill checks, maybe even some status changes carrying over fights, probably plenty of other things I can't remember ...)? I'm currently building the basis of next big game so I'm interested.

I'm fully drawing and animating it by hand, reusing the style which seemed to work in my shmup project :

It will be neither a remake (system will be quite differenet, and dungeons will be quite new, I'll probably reuse the layouts of the dungeons from my smaller games by the way) nor a completely different game (for example as a basis I've redrawn the entire item roster from NOTO so there's a chance this will be quite similar). I've not implemented the combat system yet, the idea is to use time ticks, while range of weapons affect initiative and nothing else.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good question. Nothing particularly egregious comes to mind. The one thing I didn't like too much was the mapping skill and how it was tied to RNG. It felt equal parts abusable and frustrating in the way it would just randomly cut in and out as you were walking along, but simply turning around and walking on the spot would eventually fix it. Not a big deal, but it felt rather less elegant than most of the other systems which set a very high standard. Stuff like item durability and inventory weight were a bit tedious at times, but largely inoffensive as these things go. I liked that the weight limit was severe with low strength characters, which created some interesting tradeoffs, so I wouldn't get rid of it. Item durability, however, I don't think I would miss. I also had misgivings about haggling, but it worked well in the context of the game, especially with the travelling merchants.

Anyway, very excited about the new game! I know it'll be great. I have this year's dungeon crawler jam game installed, but to my shame I haven't gotten around to it yet. Looking forward to that and to this.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Thanks, I agree with everything. I'll get rid of item durabilty, will do something else with maps, it might be having to find the map inside each floor.

I'm thinking of going with only fixed encounters and finite resource (although I always start with that in mind and generally end up with random encounters), and I'm not sure yet about how merchants will work and what it could imply regarding the need to get rid of inventory weight and use equipment item strength requirements instead (with random encounters going back and forth to merchants is not required, without random encounters it might be to some extent if nothing else works differently which would be super boring).

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
Can't seem to download it via the itch app
OKgjonm.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Can't seem to download it via the itch app
OKgjonm.png
Thanks, it should work now (this happens when I don't check the Windows box next to the file on itch, which I got aware of only recently).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom