Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Oblivion article at NY Times

Azarkon

Arcane
Chefe said:
Well of course there are normal people that play MMOs. But the fact remains that those people only make up 2% of the community. The other 98% are idiots. The general chat makes up a large portion of the community. Many of us don't have a whole entourage of friends that we know in real life who play MMOs.

*sigh*

Random statistics mean nothing. You want stats? Every MMO player I know in real life is mature and well-mannered in-game. What does that prove, other than the fact that your generalizations are most likely bullshit?

Well, I did play with my old roomate. We just dicked around though. Who the fuck "shares their accomplishments"? You talk about sports and school and shit. Besides, what accomplishments are there to share?

That's called socialization, in case you didn't notice.

If I had a kid, I'd rather him read a book than talk about how he acquired the Helm of Asskickery and called his guild leader a dickwad.

That's your choice to make, but we aren't discussing whether MMORPGs are good parenting tools or not. We're discussing whether they offer better social interaction than single-player games. Or rather, that's fucking obvious and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

MMO people aren't real people. They're pathedic little fucks. How do I know this? MMOs take too much time. The only people that can invest that much time are those who don't have lives.

So you can't play a MMO casually? Tell that to WoW's subscribers - most of whom play a max of 5-6 hours a week, tops.

Well, that's what single player RPGs have been trying to do all this time, right? Allowing you to more realistically socialize with NPCs? I know it's not true socialization, but I can guarentee you'll get better people skills by listening to the NPCs in Fallout as opposed to the dumbfuck kids who play MMOs.

I sincerely doubt you'll get better people skills by talking to pre-scripted NPCs in Fallout. Wait, you aren't even talking - you're selecting a pre-written choice!

If they created a single player RPG, and programmed all the NPCs to run around and jump while calling you names and PMing you to join their guild, would you call that socialization? It's just the same as a MMO, amirite?

No.

almondblight

Arcane
Hmm...actually, if I give it a moments thought, I can think of two Elvis Costello songs that have "farce" and "facsimile". He probably used a thesaurus to wright them though.

Data4

Arcane
almondblight said:
Data4 said:
kingcomrade said:
Also remember that to nutcases like KingComrade and Saint, the media not owned by Matt Murdoch is infested by anti-American Commies (an epithet in the states).
Justify this please.

Who the fuck is Matt Murdoch? Is that Rupert's middle name, and I'm the dumbass?

-D4

Daredevil, dumbass.

Ah... well, since I don't use movies and comicbooks as life references, I'm going to have to shrug that one off. Still, I did some looking into Daredevil (never bothered watching or reading it), and must conclude that your reference makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever... dumbass.

-D4

Chefe

Erudite
Azarkon said:

*cough*

Random statistics mean nothing. You want stats? Every MMO player I know in real life is mature and well-mannered in-game. What does that prove, other than the fact that your generalizations are most likely bullshit?

That proves that there are certain sects within the MMO community that are actually mature. It also proves that you and your buddies are part of one of those sects. What it does not prove, is that the rest of the community is like that. So, if you read carefully, your statement neither proves nor disproves my generalizations. After all, I have stated that there are a few within the community that aren't idiots.

That's called socialization, in case you didn't notice.

Yes, it is, but it wasn't related to the game. We would have talked even without little knights and assassins running around.

That's your choice to make, but we aren't discussing whether MMORPGs are good parenting tools or not. We're discussing whether they offer better social interaction than single-player games.

I think Twinfalls put it nicely near the end of the second page.

Or rather, that's fucking obvious and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

The last horse finally crosses the finish line.

So you can't play a MMO casually? Tell that to WoW's subscribers - most of whom play a max of 5-6 hours a week, tops.

You can play casually, but you don't get anywhere.

I sincerely doubt you'll get better people skills by talking to pre-scripted NPCs in Fallout. Wait, you aren't even talking - you're selecting a pre-written choice!

I sincerely doubt you'll get better people skills by talking to the idiots that play MMOs.

How so? The game could even let you type in what you want to say and have the NPCs respond accordingly. It would be rather easy, since "real" MMO people usually have a limited range of vocabulary.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Matt Murdoch is a fucking blind lawyer in Hell's Kitchen, and a fucking part-time crimefighter. When the fuck does he have time to run media publications or control news?

Jesus fuck on a stick get your fucking facts striaght you fucking cunt.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Popular Communist rag, <a href="http://www.nytimes.com">The NY Times</a>, has taken a brief interlude from sabotaging the national security of the United States and has written a <A href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/29/arts/29obli.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5070&en=f716dbab06faa55a&ex=1144299600&emc=eta1">a little article</a> about <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">Oblivion</a>. There's all kinds of fun tidbits from <b>Todd Howard</b> and various other people, including this gamer:
<blockquote>Rebeca Ames, 26, a World of Warcraft player who works for the Brooklyn Children's Museum and has dabbled with Oblivion, said the absence of a social context often leaves single-player games feeling a bit pointless. "There's no doubt some people are saying, 'I'd rather be playing Oblivion,' since it came out," she said. "But I end up feeling in a single-player game that there's no one to share your accomplishments with."</blockquote>
<i>Attention whore!</i>

Thanks, <b>bardon777</b>!

I'd rather be playing Oblivion. Unless you play the same MMO for several hours a day, every day, you won't have any accomplishments to share at all.

Azarkon

Arcane
Chefe said:
That proves that there are certain sects within the MMO community that are actually mature. It also proves that you and your buddies are part of one of those sects. What it does not prove, is that the rest of the community is like that. So, if you read carefully, your statement neither proves nor disproves my generalizations. After all, I have stated that there are a few within the community that aren't idiots.

That's my point: you can throw around generalizations and made-up statistics all day long, but what does it prove or disprove? Nothing. However, your original generalization was to the effect that single-player games offered *better social interaction* than MMORPGs. That's where I called your BS, so let's stick to that instead of baseless generalizations on the player base that you can't prove.

Yes, it is, but it wasn't related to the game. We would have talked even without little knights and assassins running around.

A matter of semantics. One of the functions of MMORPGs is to provide a chat room - that in and of itself makes it better for social interaction. But MMORPGs also provide a context and a set of activities for the purpose of socialization, so that you and your friends aren't standing around talking about the weather.

Each time you socialize with your friends in-game about the game, that's social interaction.

Each time you group with others to accomplish a goal, that's social interaction.

Social interaction is defined as interaction *with other people*. MMORPGs provide that functionality. Single-player games do not - or if they do, it is only within the context of being able to talk about the game with someone else after playing it, and that's not a guaranteed outcome of single-player games in the same way MMORPGs *guarantee* that you'll have to interact with other people, even if it's just being a dick.

His first argument is about as bullshit as yours. Namely the claim:

They are therefore better for your social interactions. For they force you to obtain social interaction elsewhere. Such as by actually talking to people in the same physical space.

Is completely unsubstantiated. Last I checked, single-player games were cited as the source of social problems due to its promotion of anti-social introverts glued to their computers. How do we go, therefore, from "a lack of social interaction" to "therefore promotes social interaction" other than inherent bias? By the same argument you might as well say that any anti-social activity inevitably promotes socialization - that argument is baseless if you examine the geeks of America and the otakus of Japan.

As far as his claims of MMORPGs obviating the need for real life socialization, I agree: the risk does exist. But even if a person's social interaction consisted wholly of virtual interaction, that's still more than the person who plays games by himself all day long (as for single-player games being incapable of replacing social interactoin: ha! Tell that to the geeks).

By the way, where's your criticism of his word choice, or is that a technique you reserve for only people who disagree with you?

You can play casually, but you don't get anywhere.

Again the ignorance. Leveling to max in WoW takes, on average, 10 days of /played time. That's 240 hours. No more than the length of three or four single-player games. Within the context of a year's worth of gaming, we're not talking about a substantive amount.

Moreover, your assumption here suggests that unless you "get somewhere" you cannot enjoy a MMORPG, which of course is false, given that multiple sources have shown that many people who play MMORPGs do so for the social value and the gameplay, and not because they're goal-oriented.

I sincerely doubt you'll get better people skills by talking to the idiots that play MMOs.

I know people who met their real life spouses from MMORPGs - and they're living quite happily, mind you. Let's see you meet your real life spouse from a single-player game.

How so? The game could even let you type in what you want to say and have the NPCs respond accordingly. It would be rather easy, since "real" MMO people usually have a limited range of vocabulary.

Real world conversation usually involves a limited range of vocabulary. What - it's not social interaction unless you speak like a English professor writing his book on Postcolonial Hybridity?

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Ugh, I can just imagine what a generation of online weddings might do to society.

SOME GUY: "Well you make a very nice couple. So how did you meet?"

NERD: "Funny you should ask, it's quite an amazing story. I'd just been to Blackrock mountain killing Grifcamorgs, and after a long trying battle, I found myself in possession of an Emerald Blade of Slaying and Killing and More Slaying +7½. Now, I already had a +8 one, so I went to find a buyer for it in nearby Tonkswug."

SOME GUY: "Erm, really?"

NERDESS: "Mmm, I was already in Tonkswug at the time you see, I was still new to the world and had only been there a few days. I tried to ask people for help, but noone answered me."

NERD: "But then I came to town. I was walking through the crowds, trying to spot a potential buyer, when I saw her. She was standing there, her golden locks lit up by the awesome sunray lighting effects, looking so sweet and innocent. She met my gaze, and we just stood there for the longest time."

NERDESS: "*giggle* Oh yes, we just stood there for minutes, staring at each other. I knew it was love at first sight, so I emoted a blush and a wink."

NERD: "My stomach almost cramped up, I was so excited. I ran up to her and typed "Hi", she typed "Hello", and that was all we had to say, sparks were already flying. "MSN?", I said, and she gave me hers', and I gave her mine."

NERDESS: "Oh we'd play together for hours sometimes, even though he was quite a few levels older than me."

NERD: "Oh now, you caught up quickly enough, you were so good once you stopped being n00b. That was also when we found two rings that looked the same and wore them together, truly the start of a beautiful friendship."

NERDESS: "It's a litte more than a friendship now *giggle*. I'll never forget our two-week aniversary, when we snuck off into the wilderness late one night, and took our equipment off, and I emoted a dance for you, and you typed how visually stunning I looked, dancing naked in the moonlight. It was so romantic."

NERD: "Yeah, and we accidentally wore each others' greaves on the way back!-"

BOTH: "-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

NERD: "Aaahh. So, quite a love story, don't you think?"

SOME GUY: <slams door>

Chefe

Erudite
Rat Ke....

*throws up*

*falls over and dies*

*goes up to heaven*

GOD: "Welcome, Fabio... or should I say... Chefe!"
Me: "Oh God, you old tease. What happened?"
GOD: "Apparently you just dropped dead. You haven't done anything particularly notable in your lifetime to help others, so I'm afraid you'll have to spend a few years in hell."
Me: "That sucks!"
GOD: "Yea, sorry, but I don't make the rules. However, since you died under such unusual circumstances, I could restore you back to life."
Me: "God, that last post I read... about the wedding."
GOD: "Yes...?"
Me: "Is that the future for humanity?"
GOD: "I'm afraid so."
Me: "How could you let a thing like this happen?"
GOD: "Well, after the creation of massively multiplayer online roleplaying games, there wasn't anything even I could do to save you guys, so I'm starting up a new planet."
Me: "You just abandonded us?"
GOD: "Yep. But at least now I know how to stop MMOs before they ever form. Ruling the universe is a gradual learning process."
Me: "Good luck to the next world then."
GOD: "Thanks. So, have you made up your mind?"
Me: "Almost. Just to be sure: what Rat Keening described is the future for planet earth and all of humanity?"
GOD: "Unfortunately yes, kid."
Me: "There's gotta be something I can do! Like Doctor Emmett Brown said, the future isn't written! We can change things! I can save humanity from the perils of MMORPGs!"
GOD: "Impossible! What can one human ever hope to achieve in the face of such evil? Fabio, not only will MMOs take over the future..."
Me: "No! No you stupid bastard! We can't give up hope..."
GOD: "You will meet your significant other in World of Warcraft, and your future kids will meet theirs online as well."
Me: "That can't happen. I don't even play World of Warcraft!"
GOD: "You will, Fabio. You will. And your online wedding will be glorious!"
Me: "STOP IT! FOR THE LOVE OF G... YOU, STOP IT!"
GOD: "And your kids... they will never see the outside world! They'll lose their virginities... online!"
Me: "ARGHHH!!!!"
GOD: "Hell ain't looking so bad now, eh?"
Me: "I think I'll take the express train."
GOD: "Ah, don't worry. It's only for a few years. Tell you what, when I make my new world, I'll reincarnate you as a dictator. How about it?"
Me: "Cool!"

*goes to hell*

Satan: "Welcome, Chefe."
Me: "The name's..."
Satan: "Yea, yea. Whatever. Listen this is hell, so it's not going to be easy."
Me: "I can take it, you pussy."
Satan: "Ha. Look, kid, I've got alot of work for you to do."
Me: "Bring it on, devil."
Satan: "I want you to install the new World of Warcraft patch on all the computers in the lab."
Me: "Wh... what?"
Satan: "And then I want you to farm for some gold. My paladin is a little short on cash."
Me: "Wh...."
Satan: "Oh, and they put in this new monster. I'm going to need you to round up a party and take it down."
Me: "You..."
Satan: "Remember, don't aggro the minotaurs!"
Satan: "Have fun! Don't forget, I'm not required to pay monthly fees, so the game world is always open! Muahahahaha!"
Me: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Chefe

Erudite
Azarkon said:
That's my point: you can throw around generalizations and made-up statistics all day long, but what does it prove or disprove?

Well, if you call them made up, then apparently to you it doesn't prove anything. If you believe them, it proves everything. However, it seems you've taken the "I don't agree with those, so they're fake!" route, hence you don't believe it proves anything.

Nothing. However, your original generalization was to the effect that single-player games offered *better social interaction* than MMORPGs. That's where I called your BS, so let's stick to that instead of baseless generalizations on the player base that you can't prove.

But the player base is the heart of the matter. If the player base didn't "suck", then MMOs would offer better social interaction than single-player games. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

A matter of semantics. One of the functions of MMORPGs is to provide a chat room - that in and of itself makes it better for social interaction. But MMORPGs also provide a context and a set of activities for the purpose of socialization, so that you and your friends aren't standing around talking about the weather.

Right, you running around ferociously clicking on monsters and trying to ignore all the idiots who keep telling you to join their shitty guild.

Each time you socialize with your friends in-game about the game, that's social interaction.

Each time you group with others to accomplish a goal, that's social interaction.

Social interaction is defined as interaction *with other people*. MMORPGs provide that functionality. Single-player games do not - or if they do, it is only within the context of being able to talk about the game with someone else after playing it, and that's not a guaranteed outcome of single-player games in the same way MMORPGs *guarantee* that you'll have to interact with other people, even if it's just being a dick.

So, what if one day you wake up in a lab and a scientist tells you that your entire world, including the people, were all part of a complex algorithm, a matrix-like digital world. No one was real. Would you then say that you've never had a social interaction? I wouldn't. I'd say, "Wow! that's some damn good AI!", then proceed to round-house kick that manipulative son of a bitch in the face. But this isn't about how skilled I am in the art of ass-kickery, it's about social interaction. Two words, each with significant meaning, coming together to create a special phrase. That is what this conversation is about, so please stop trying to steer us off topic.

They are therefore better for your social interactions. For they force you to obtain social interaction elsewhere. Such as by actually talking to people in the same physical space.

Is completely unsubstantiated. Last I checked, single-player games were cited as the source of social problems due to its promotion of anti-social introverts glued to their computers.

How is this different than MMOs? If the players weren't anti-social then they would be out making real friends instead of MMO friends. Also, they wouldn't talk like dicks.

[qute]How do we go, therefore, from "a lack of social interaction" to "therefore promotes social interaction" other than inherent bias? By the same argument you might as well say that any anti-social activity inevitably promotes socialization - that argument is baseless if you examine the geeks of America and the otakus of Japan.[/quote]

Them's fightin' words.

As far as his claims of MMORPGs obviating the need for real life socialization, I agree: the risk does exist. But even if a person's social interaction consisted wholly of virtual interaction, that's still more than the person who plays games by himself all day long (as for single-player games being incapable of replacing social interactoin: ha! Tell that to the geeks).

Think about it, you even gave an example before. People meeting friends, spouses, enemies... all in a virtual life and who they might never see for real. People can even make a living completely online now. People are making a living just by buying and selling on ebay. I'm sure you've heard of people selling gold. Put two and two together and think about it. A person sells some gold on ebay. Then, they generate enough cash to start buying and reselling higher end goods. All of a sudden, they're making a steady income without ever leaving their house. They interact only with the MMO people, and MMOs are where they relax. They buy all their food, and everything else, online.

Back to Twin's statement, you can't start this chain reaction by playing single-player RPGs. You have to get outside and go to work.

By the way, where's your criticism of his word choice, or is that a technique you reserve for only people who disagree with you?

I reserve criticism for smartasses.

Again the ignorance. Leveling to max in WoW takes, on average, 10 days of /played time. That's 240 hours. No more than the length of three or four single-player games. Within the context of a year's worth of gaming, we're not talking about a substantive amount.

But with a single player game you can leave for a week and come back. If you leave for a week in WoW, everyone's 20 levels higher than you.

Moreover, your assumption here suggests that unless you "get somewhere" you cannot enjoy a MMORPG, which of course is false, given that multiple sources have shown that many people who play MMORPGs do so for the social value and the gameplay, and not because they're goal-oriented.

They're kleptomaniac collectors and killing machines, you know that. They're fixated on the idea of getting the best stuff and having a strong character. If it was really about "social interaction", the developers would do away with levels and collecting rabbit penises and +13 Armor of Slaying alltogether. They'd make a virtual world that actual suits social interactions and keep it civilized. They'd attract people who aren't retarded 12 year olds.

I know people who met their real life spouses from MMORPGs - and they're living quite happily, mind you. Let's see you meet your real life spouse from a single-player game.

No, I'll meet my real life spouse in real life. I refer you to Rat Keening's post.

Real world conversation usually involves a limited range of vocabulary. What - it's not social interaction unless you speak like a English professor writing his book on Postcolonial Hybridity?

Limited range of vocabulary? On the contrary, my dear friend. There is much vocabulary that is used, and people don't shout abbreviations. Oh yea, and there's the little matter of body language, which makes up more than 70% of social interaction. Tell me, which MMO has body language? And don't bring up that stupid emote shit or whatever it's called. That's nothing.

Azarkon

Arcane
Chefe said:
Well, if you call them made up, then apparently to you it doesn't prove anything. If you believe them, it proves everything. However, it seems you've taken the "I don't agree with those, so they're fake!" route, hence you don't believe it proves anything.

Facts don't require me to "believe." You got facts? Show'em. Saying 98% of all MMO players are idiots isn't a fact.

But the player base is the heart of the matter. If the player base didn't "suck", then MMOs would offer better social interaction than single-player games. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

1. You still haven't proven the "fact" that the player base sucks.

2. Even if the entire player base sucks, crappy social interaction > no social interaction.

Right, you running around ferociously clicking on monsters and trying to ignore all the idiots who keep telling you to join their shitty guild.

I happen to have played a MMORPG for six years. And in that time I've met more mature people than immature by a long shot. In fact, I'd vouch for nearly the entirety of the guilds I've been in.

So, what if one day you wake up in a lab and a scientist tells you that your entire world, including the people, were all part of a complex algorithm, a matrix-like digital world. No one was real. Would you then say that you've never had a social interaction? I wouldn't. I'd say, "Wow! that's some damn good AI!", then proceed to round-house kick that manipulative son of a bitch in the face. But this isn't about how skilled I am in the art of ass-kickery, it's about social interaction. Two words, each with significant meaning, coming together to create a special phrase. That is what this conversation is about, so please stop trying to steer us off topic.

Sounds good. Now point me to a single-player game that has that kind of "Radiant" AI.

How is this different than MMOs? If the players weren't anti-social then they would be out making real friends instead of MMO friends. Also, they wouldn't talk like dicks.

Shit, how many times do I have to tell you: MMO friends often *are* real friends. How do you think WoW has so many subscribers? Word-of-mouth - getting your friends to play, and nearly everyone I know in WoW is a real life friend. Multiplayer games are the only way, in fact, that I can still game with friends who's long since moved away. So how is that not social interaction?

Think about it, you even gave an example before. People meeting friends, spouses, enemies... all in a virtual life and who they might never see for real. People can even make a living completely online now. People are making a living just by buying and selling on ebay. I'm sure you've heard of people selling gold. Put two and two together and think about it. A person sells some gold on ebay. Then, they generate enough cash to start buying and reselling higher end goods. All of a sudden, they're making a steady income without ever leaving their house. They interact only with the MMO people, and MMOs are where they relax. They buy all their food, and everything else, online.

Back to Twin's statement, you can't start this chain reaction by playing single-player RPGs. You have to get outside and go to work.

Sure, you're right. Technology is changing the way human beings socialize. One day all social interaction will occur in virtual worlds where humans spend all their time. Then, I suppose, you'll finally admit that MMORPGs offer more social interaction than single-player games. Or maybe not - I mean, I imagine you'll be playing with "damn good AI" instead.

But with a single player game you can leave for a week and come back. If you leave for a week in WoW, everyone's 20 levels higher than you.

Did you even hear what I said? Go for a week in WoW and you might be a level behind your friends, if they play the same amount as you. If they don't - well no worries, WoW has REST EXP that allows you to catch up. And even if you don't catch up, your friends can still play with you - they can still run you through dungeons and socialize with you online. What's the big problem?

They're kleptomaniac collectors and killing machines, you know that. They're fixated on the idea of getting the best stuff and having a strong character. If it was really about "social interaction", the developers would do away with levels and collecting rabbit penises and +13 Armor of Slaying alltogether. They'd make a virtual world that actual suits social interactions and keep it civilized. They'd attract people who aren't retarded 12 year olds.

That's why single-player MMORPGs are so popular, right?

No, I'll meet my real life spouse in real life. I refer you to Rat Keening's post.

Great. Now explain to me how Fallout offers better social interaction again?

Limited range of vocabulary? On the contrary, my dear friend. There is much vocabulary that is used, and people don't shout abbreviations. Oh yea, and there's the little matter of body language, which makes up more than 70% of social interaction. Tell me, which MMO has body language? And don't bring up that stupid emote shit or whatever it's called. That's nothing.

So as soon as MMOs provide body language, you'll acknowledge them as providing great social interaction? Fear not then - we'll get there soon enough.

Data4

Arcane
LMAO. That's just fucking hilarious. I've seen that online so many times.

But...

Having met my wife online... in a Star Trek roleplaying chatroom, no less... I have to say...

We have a fulfilling social life and very healthy sex life. I have a great paying, upwardly mobile job. While it seems odd to people at first when I tell them the circumstances surrounding our meeting, most people seem hip to it, figuring it's becoming the norm.

And just FYI, back when we still played WoW, one of our guildies suggested we get married in-game. We both responded with a very loud (as text can be) NO!!!! Yeah... stereotypes.... Gotta break 'em all.

-D4

Twinfalls

Erudite
I shall re-enter the discussion only to correct this dumbfuck's blatant lack of understanding:

Azarkon said:

Is completely unsubstantiated. Last I checked, single-player games were cited as the source of social problems due to its promotion of anti-social introverts glued to their computers. How do we go, therefore, from "a lack of social interaction" to "therefore promotes social interaction" other than inherent bias? By the same argument you might as well say that any anti-social activity inevitably promotes socialization - that argument is baseless if you examine the geeks of America and the otakus of Japan.

Alright, let's take this slowly, Azarkron.

Re-read what I wrote. Observe the word 'better'. Understand that this word has a relative sense, not an absolute one.

So when you say:

How do we go, therefore, from "a lack of social interaction" to "therefore promotes social interaction" other than inherent bias?

You are being stupid. Nobody, least of all me, is saying solo gaming promotes social interaction. Solo gaming is better for social interaction than MMOs. It's relative, mmkay?

And this is not unsubstantiated. It is the MMOs which are the most addictive. 'Evercrack', WoW addiction, etc etc. You don't see the same reports about Mario.

And now I shall return to re-reading Rat Keeng's outstanding post.

Carry on.

edit: AHAhahahah... aaaah, SHIT that's funny RK :D

Azarkon

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
I shall re-enter the discussion only to correct this dumbfuck's blatant lack of understanding:

We'll see who's the real dumbfuck here.

You are being stupid. Nobody, least of all me, is saying solo gaming promotes social interaction. Solo gaming is better for social interaction than MMOs. It's relative, mmkay?

Let's indeed take it slow here. Your argument rests on the basis that solo gaming *forces* players to find social interaction elsewhere, as you clearly state here:

So how is that not promoting social interaction in the indirect sense? More specifically, you're saying that because solo gaming offers NO social interaction, it's better for social interaction because it doesn't replace existing social interaction, thereby, with "relative disposition" in mind, promoting more *real* social interaction than MMORPGs (for otherwise, where does the "better" come from?). That's the bullshit part of your claim: solo gaming can and does replace existing social interaction and I provided examples of groups of people for whom solo gaming (or watching anime) is the principle anti-social occupation. Therefore, unless you can substantiate your claim with data that shows that solo gamers engage in far more social interaction than multiplayer gamers (which is far from being obvious, considering that anti-social people are unlikely to play games that require interacting with others), your argument is crap and you are, indeed, the dumbfuck.

And this is not unsubstantiated. It is the MMOs which are the most addictive. 'Evercrack', WoW addiction, etc etc. You don't see the same reports about Mario.

I beg to differ.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1036088.stm

It's not like claims of video game addiction started with MMORPGs, and it's not like MMORPG addiction is free of social interaction, as solo gaming addiction is. In the end, the average MMORPG player is as capable of playing conservatively as the average fan of nearly any entertainment medium, but the fact that multi-player games possess social interaction whereas single-player games do not is irrefutable.

sheek

Arbiter
Also remember, it's not a problem specific to MMOs and gaming. Forums can be as fucked up socially or more fucked up than your average online game. There are different types of social interaction. People who play Quake go on to see lots of gore and talk to other gamers so they can get more gory weapons and team up to create the ultimate bloodbath. [I'm sure some people play WoW and the like to massacre millions of goblins and get the coolest greatsword (never played it) and don't care at all about the 'social' aspect].

Personally I think that's healthier than the people over at the 'General Chat' forums supposedly 'discussing' about real life/serious issues (on the surface) but who get involved in all kinds of relationships, dramas and psychological bullshit to fill their miserable lives.

In the first case you're just there to have fun, everyone has different ways of having fun. In the second it's more like a psychological problem.

Azarkon

Arcane
Indeed. One might argue that a person who spends all his time posting on forums is the prime example for why forums are anti-social. But to make that argument, you'd have to claim that doing anything other than socialization can be, in fact, anti-social, in which case we reach a logical cul-de-sac. Thus, the measure of whether a form of entertainment offers social interaction should not use addiction as the primary argument - else you might as well argue that reading and writing on forums is more anti-social than jacking off to Rinoa from FF all day long.

sheek

Arbiter
Azarkon said:
Indeed. One might argue that a person who spends all his time posting on forums is the prime example for why forums are anti-social. But to make that argument, you'd have to claim that doing anything other than socialization can be, in fact, anti-social, in which case we reach a logical cul-de-sac. Thus, the measure of whether a form of entertainment offers social interaction should not use addiction as the primary argument - else you might as well argue that reading and writing on forums is more anti-social than jacking off to Rinoa from FF all day long.

I don't follow your logic.

Chefe

Erudite
*Chefe replies to Azarkon's post with more statements that back up his previous statements. Azarkon does the same with his next post after Chefe's. Then, Chefe replies with yet another post containing even more quotes, and Azarkon returns again with yet another rebuttle, also containing the same things he has said previously.*

*Twinfalls chimes in to rebuke Azarkon's statements. Chefe agrees. Azarkon replies with an illogical retort.*

*Chefe returns to reply to Azarkon for another time, providing a page long post filled with quotes from Azarkon. Azarkon replies to this and refutes what Chefe is saying. Chefe quotes Azarkon and finds him wrong again.*

*Data4 mentions how the wife he mentioned three pages ago is going to dress up as a Klingon and perform oral sex. Everyone raises an eyebrow.*

*Azarkon comes back with another rebuttle claiming his beliefs are true, to which Chefe will again reply they are false.*

*The argument continues for days. Taking up countless pages and loads of bandwith. Both sides are far too deep into it now, and upon finally coming to the realization that no one's views are going to change they wish someone would have ended this pointless shit two hundred posts ago.*

Azarkon

Arcane
That's the beauty of arguing online: it's pointless.

But then again, so is what NY Times says. The incentive, as always, lies in hearing the sound of your own voice - or in this case, in your head.

It's an ego thing, I'm sure of it.

Azarkon

Arcane
sheek said:
I don't follow your logic.

Jacking off to Rinoa offers better social interaction than MMORPGs and forums combined. That's the only truth.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Right. We'll have to take this even more slowly.

From the top, Azarkon. What did I first say?

I said:
Single player games do not offer any social interaction.

This is an absolute. An incontrovertible fact. They may offer a simulation of social interaction. They may indeed displace social interaction.

But, by definition, they do not offer any social interaction.

Now. MMOs as we know, do provide a type of social interaction. By definition.

Therefore:

Where one does not (cannot) get any socialising from solo games, one can get some type of socialising from MMOs.

And if you read my original post and quote its whole context, you'll see that I said:

MMOs encourage people to conflate their social interaction with their solo leisure pursuit, thereby obviating the need to socialise with people face to face. This is extremely unhealthy

So when you suggest (as you have done twice now) that I said 'Solo games promote social interaction', you are putting words in my mouth. That statement is an absolute. Mine was relative. Note the use of the word 'better'.

Note also the aspect of my argument that you ignore. I make a qualitative judgment: that socialising face-to-face is better than MMO socialising.

So to repeat: solo gaming does not 'promote' socialising. Indeed, it tends to take away from it. But relative to MMOs, it lacks the capacity to replace face-to-face socialising which MMOs have. Therefore, solo games are better. By and large, of course.

More specifically, you're saying that because solo gaming offers NO social interaction, it's better for social interaction because it doesn't replace existing social interaction

Yes.

That's the bullshit part of your claim: solo gaming can and does replace existing social interaction and I provided examples of groups of people for whom solo gaming (or watching anime) is the principle anti-social occupation.

No. It may displace social interaction, but single player games do not and cannot replace social interaction. For solo games do not provide any social interaction.

And what does that link prove? An article regarding concerns about kids playing a lot of videogames? So what else is new?

Here's a link for you:

http://www.gamerseurope.com/news/3211

Relative, remember.

It's not like claims of video game addiction started with MMORPGs, and it's not like MMORPG addiction is free of social interaction, as solo gaming addiction is. In the end, the average MMORPG player is as capable of playing conservatively as the average fan of nearly any entertainment medium, but the fact that multi-player games possess social interaction whereas single-player games do not is irrefutable.

See, it's only here that you start to make sense. As I see it, your real argument is this:

Both single and MMO games take away from people's socialising time, but at least MMOs provide some socialising. Some is better than none.

Well, I disagree. As I see it, the type of socialising in MMOs is practically worthless when compared to face-to-face interaction. Mainly because of the nature of MMOs - the interactions are coralled into the narrow confines of the loot-hunt and grind structure. Hence all those caricatures you read Chefe and Rat Keeng make in this thread. And it is MMOs which are proving to be far more addictive and time-consuming than single player games. I will not trawl around to find evidence - if you insist on it, I will simply ask you to provide evidence to the contrary.

Azarkon

Arcane
So when you suggest (as you have done twice now) that I said 'Solo games promote social interaction', you are putting words in my mouth. That statement is an absolute. Mine was relative. Note the use of the word 'better'.

You stated that single-player games promote social interaction when compared to MMOs. That's the point I argued, not whether you stated that solo games promote social interaction in a vacuum, though that served as a good way of pointing out how ridiculous the idea was by itself (therefore leaving me to argue the one point of contention, which is that...) The non-sequitur exists in the logic that single-player games, by offering NO social interaction, is better at it than MMOs because apparently MMO gamers play MMOs to the exclusion of face-to-face interaction but solo gamers do not.

That's the bullshit.

Note also the aspect of my argument that you ignore. I make a qualitative judgment: that socialising face-to-face is better than MMO socialising.

I don't ignore this; I agree with it. No more need be said.

So to repeat: solo gaming does not 'promote' socialising. Indeed, it tends to take away from it. But relative to MMOs, it lacks the capacity to replace face-to-face socialising which MMOs have. Therefore, solo games are better. By and large, of course.

So how did I misinterpret your argument? Or did you misinterpret my response?

No. It may displace social interaction, but single player games do not and cannot replace social interaction. For solo games do not provide any social interaction.

Displacement is worse than replacement.

The way people play MMOs in Asia is different than the way people play MMOs in the US, I'm afraid. Net cafes tend to heighten the sense of realism in competition and impact; interestingly enough, however, they practically ensure face-to-face interaction, and the deeper addiction comes in part because of that.

Can't talk about these things in a vacuum - MMOs in Asia are forms of real social interaction (albeit unhealthy). It's no wonder people kill each other over them.

Both single and MMO games take away from people's socialising time, but at least MMOs provide some socialising. Some is better than none.

It's been this argument all along. Why did I mention otakus and geeks, if not to suggest that solo gamers (and indeed fans of any entertainment medium) are as guilty of displacing social interaction as MMO gamers are of replacing theirs?

Well, I disagree. As I see it, the type of socialising in MMOs is practically worthless when compared to face-to-face interaction. Mainly because of the nature of MMOs - the interactions are coralled into the narrow confines of the loot-hunt and grind structure. Hence all those caricatures you read Chefe and Rat Keeng make in this thread. And it is MMOs which are proving to be far more addictive and time-consuming than single player games. I will not trawl around to find evidence - if you insist on it, I will simply ask you to provide evidence to the contrary.

That's the key argument, from a logical point of view, and I'll tell you the truth now: the kind of data available is both incomplete and inconclusive, which is all the more reason why this sort of argument gets us nowhere. Simple mathematics dictates that:

social_interaction = time_spent_socializing_in_RL + reduction_factor * time_spent_socializing_in_MMO

time_spent_socializing_in_RL = total_free_time - time_spent_in_MMOs - time_spent_in_solo_games

You argue that because time_spent_in_MMOs is greater than time_spent_in_solo_games, time_spent_socializing_in_RL for a MMO gamer must be less than the same variable for a solo gamer. That's unsubstantiated, but let's assume it to be true. Then what really matters is whether the reduction_factor is significant - is the social interaction provided by MMOs completely worthless (< 0.00001) or somewhat worthwhile (> 0.5)? If the former, then you're right (assuming you can also substantiate the time argument). If the latter, then I'm right.

I argue the latter. You (likely) argue the former. In the end, this is a matter of perspective (and part of what I've been arguing against all along) - but the reason why I called BS on your argument is because not only does it assume the former without evidence, but it doesn't even take into account the latter perspective (which is exactly what Chefe fails to do also). You state, point blank, that single-player games are better at social interaction than practically all forms of multi-player games (since they can all be addictive, depending on who you ask, and they can all be argued to possess a narrowly confined context).

However, that's precisely why it's counterintuitive: playing a game by yourself is never going to be as socially interactive as playing a game with other people, and I've personally experienced what can be termed "indifference" towards single-players after playing MPs and MMOs. In order to argue that this feeling is misplaced, a great many conditions have to be true - including, most importantly, the solo-gamer's conservative playing style and the idea that social interaction in MMOs is completely juvenile: both of which I've argued against all along.

In the end, "meaningful social interaction" is itself a relative term, as what we each desire from social interaction may very well be different (is it a sense of collectiveness? to fulfill a general human need to communicate? physical contact? etc). Hence, my original retort was not to the effect of "you're wrong to favor single-player games" but rather "your bias is showing."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom