Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Oblivion interview at Games.net

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
In reality, you may miss if you are unskilled.
Don't be silly. That may be true for archery, but give me a sword or an axe and a target that doesn't dodge or block my attack, and I'll hit. Dodging and blocking should be something the opponent does, and stats can be tied into that nicely.
The way I see it, your chance to hit is a chance to hit a *defending* opponent and it's implied that his defense abilities (armor, dodge, parry, etc) are taken into consideration.

Tintin

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:
Don't be silly. That may be true for archery, but give me a sword or an axe and a target that doesn't dodge or block my attack, and I'll hit. Dodging and blocking should be something the opponent does, and stats can be tied into that nicely.
The way I see it, your chance to hit is a chance to hit a *defending* opponent and it's implied that his defense abilities (armor, dodge, parry, etc) are taken into consideration.

Yes, and in Oblivion, enemies will dodge, and shield themselves. Based on their defense stats, I assume.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Claw said:
Vault Dweller said:

And it is, in the decisions the opponent makes, and in how much damage your strike actually does. The opponent will decide, based on their skills, equipment, and stats, to dodge, block (with weapon or shield), attack, etc. When your sword strikes, the raw damage the weapon can do is modified first by your skill with the weapon, the weapon's condition, your current fatigue level, your luck. It is further modified by the opponent's armor rating (which is affected by the amount, type, and condition of the armor worn, plus the wearer's armor skill, fatigue and luck), it's modified by any appropriate defensive magic the opponent is using, and if the opponent is blocking, it's modified based on the opponent's blocking skill and the quality of the shield or weapon. So if your character is really tired and has a heavily worn claymore and a low blade skill, and you swing at a heavily armored opponent who's right in front of you, yeah, you'll hit -- you just won't do much damage.

Tintin

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Just like in shooters, enemies will dodge and move. So?

I'm assuming because of your naturally hectic lifestyle you forgot to read the "based on their stats" part.

Vykromond

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
D2 was also a FULL_REAL_TIME_HAWT_NON-STOP_AKSHUN_ RPG, and it was stat-based and without any mouse raping side-effects.

Yeah, it did.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tintin said:
Vault Dweller said:
Just like in shooters, enemies will dodge and move. So?

I'm assuming because of your naturally hectic lifestyle you forgot to read the "based on their stats" part.
I didn't. That's the irrelevant part. What's important is what you do and whether or not your actions are based on your reflexes or your character's abilities. In shooters some enemies move faster, dodge better, etc. That doesn't turn a shooter into an RPG, does it?

Vykromond said:
Yeah, it did.
Did what? If that refers to the mouse raping, you could hold down the button to attack repeatedly. In MW you couldn't and had to click constantly.

Tintin

Arbiter
That's the irrelevant part.

So now you think stats are irrelevant?

What's important is what you do and whether or not your actions are based on your reflexes or your character's abilities.

You can hit, and shield yourself, but if your defense skill is low, that guy will still damage you, and if your attack stats or weapon skill sucks, you're not going to deal too much damage with your attack. If you have crappy stats, and go up against some powerful dude, you can keep mouse jabbing and dodging, and shielding all you want, you're still going to die.[/quote]

Atrokkus

Erudite
Did what? If that refers to the mouse raping, you could hold down the button to attack repeatedly. In MW you couldn't and had to click constantly.
Ha! Same shit, man.
Don't compare with Diablo, okay? Diablo is totally different, and there mouse-mashing was okay and even fun (well, if not for you, then you could just hold the button). I'll not dwell on the differences between diablo and pure rpg or even that neuter-rpg Morrowind, but you should know them by now. Plus, in D1 you HAD to click constantly, although the combat principle is the same.

So, it doesn't matter whether you hold the button or click constantly - it's ABSOLUTELY THE SAME SYSTEM.

If it's first-person and full-realtime, then the game just HAS to take into account player's own skills: reaction and eye-hand coordination.
But, since it's RPG, stats also must be accounted for. So they will Oblivion,like in Gothic, but, of course, even better.

This adds so much excitement and challenge to combat, and does not conflict with RPG basic principles.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Tintin said:
So now you think stats are irrelevant?
Are you able to read and comprehend simultaneously?

if your attack stats or weapon skill sucks, you're not going to deal too much damage with your attack.
Irrelevant. As long as you can damage your opponent every time you hit, it's just a matter of time untill he's dead. Or until you run out of potions.

mEtaLL1x said:
Don't compare with Diablo, okay? Diablo is totally different, and there mouse-mashing was okay and even fun
If you say so. I like talking to knowledgeable people who can tell me that something is different because it was fun for them.

I'll not dwell on the differences between diablo and pure rpg or even that neuter-rpg Morrowind, but you should know them by now
Were we talking about differences between different games or about the joy of button-mashing?

Plus, in D1 you HAD to click constantly, although the combat principle is the same.
And that's why I used diablo 2 as an example. Clevar, eh?

So, it doesn't matter whether you hold the button or click constantly - it's ABSOLUTELY THE SAME SYSTEM.
AWESOME!!!

If it's first-person and full-realtime, then the game just HAS to take into account player's own skills: reaction and eye-hand coordination.
True, as long as anything else is skill-based

But, since it's RPG, stats also must be accounted for. So they will Oblivion,like in Gothic, but, of course, even better.
I admire your faith

This adds so much excitement and challenge to combat, and does not conflict with RPG basic principles.
Which are what? Thou shalt have adjustable stats?

Atrokkus

Erudite
A wee bit slow, are we?
I was referring to D1 in order to clarify the point that holding-button is just a lil feature that doesn't change the concept. It's still buttonmashing in D2, just more comfy. Of course, it's okay in D2.
But it's not in FP-RPG.

True, as long as anything else is skill-based
Of course.
That's what i'm talking about.

Which are what? Thou shalt have adjustable stats?
stop jerking around, you know what i'm talking about.
Since it's role playing game, you roleplay a character which has his own physical/mental abilities, so they must be used in all calculation and on every occasion.
But since it's also FP and full RT, players themselves must have a pretty tight control of their characters, because otherwise combat would be boring to death, like in morrowind.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Irrelevant. As long as you can damage your opponent every time you hit, it's just a matter of time untill he's dead. Or until you run out of potions.

Well, that's assuming he's not doing more damage to you than you are to him. And it's already been revealed that in Oblivion, you have a limit to the number of potions you can have affecting you at once (the number is based on your Alchemy skill), so you'll have to use them wisely.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually, there is a simple way to lessen the impact of player skills. Just imagine Morrowind's combat pace, with the new system. Actually that'd be too slow for my taste.
However, it should be obvious how important the pace dictated by the game is.

Of course I disagree with the "anything else is skill-based" argument, combat shouldn't be an exception. Besides, it imples that combat wasn't skill-based. Combat in Gothic for example is still overwhelmingly (character) skill-based. There is only a small range - unless you count exploits - within which the player's skills are relevant, and certain improvements could significantly reduce this relevance.
Actually, the main challenge for player skills in Gothic 1+2 were glitches in the controls, and the design flaw of timed button presses for combos, unnecessarily taxing player skill.

Vault Dweller

Developer
mEtaLL1x said:
A wee bit slow, are we?
I was referring to D1 in order to clarify the point that holding-button is just a lil feature that doesn't change the concept. It's still buttonmashing in D2, just more comfy. Of course, it's okay in D2.
But it's not in FP-RPG.
A wee bit clueless, are we? Features always affect concepts. Take TB combat for example, it could be a bit slow and long when there are plenty of enemies (example: Silent Storm), but if you add a "lil" feature that makes all enemies move simultaneously, it would improve the concept dramatically. Same with D2 button-holding vs D1/MW button-mashing. A little thing that goes a long way, and it's more than okay in FP RPG.

Since it's role playing game, you roleplay a character which has his own physical/mental abilities, so they must be used in all calculation and on every occasion.
But since it's also FP and full RT, players themselves must have a pretty tight control of their characters, because otherwise combat would be boring to death, like in morrowind.
Why shoud it? Bloodlines combat was skill-based, and the skill-based part worked very well. If the camera wasn't fucked, it would have been perfect. Definitely wasn't boring.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Vault Dweller said:

Well, that's assuming he's not doing more damage to you than you are to him. And it's already been revealed that in Oblivion, you have a limit to the number of potions you can have affecting you at once (the number is based on your Alchemy skill), so you'll have to use them wisely.
Potions would take care of the damage. As for the potions limit, I never used more than one at a time in MW, and never had any problems killing anything that moves, so I'm not sure how effective this adjustment really is. Unless you've slowed down the healing affects (D2 vs D1)

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Vault Dweller -- one of the biggest exploits in Morrowind was unlimited potions coupled with magic effects stacking. You could drink 50 "fortify strength 10 points" potions and boost your strength by 500 points. The potion limit corrects that particular flaw.

Greatatlantic -- yes, it'll have a difficulty slider.

merry andrew

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
'It's just a matter of time before he's dead, or you're dead.'

Is that what you're saying? I dunno that sounds about right to me.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
No, I'm not missing the point, I got it Claw :) My response was to explain why we added potion limits -- and yes, I realize that it's more apropos to the use of long-duration fortifies and buffs, as opposed to instant healing potions.

Vault Dweller

Developer
merry andrew said:
Vault Dweller said:
'It's just a matter of time before he's dead, or you're dead.'

Is that what you're saying? I dunno that sounds about right to me.
I'm saying that you can stay alive as long as you have potions (vs D2 healing system), and as long as you are able to stay alive while consistently reducing health of your opponents, even at a very slow rate, you can win 90% of all battles easily.

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Vault Dweller -- one of the biggest exploits in Morrowind was unlimited potions coupled with magic effects stacking. You could drink 50 "fortify strength 10 points" potions and boost your strength by 500 points.
Somebody needed that exploit to win? Wasn't the game easy enough already?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom