Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I can only think of one game, and I doubt it'll be getting endorsements due to its obscurity.

Mr. Robot (2007) combines isometric platforming with JRPG elements as you control a gang of robots aboard a starship that's tasked with saving the crew of the ship from death.

The isometric parts of the game are clearly inspired by games such as Head Over Heels, while the JRPG elements have a "The Matrix"-vibe to them as you log on into the ship's network and fight security programs and viruses and such.

It's fun while it lasts, but the game felt to me like it had potential to be something cool, but never did anything with it. The puzzles in the isometric section don't even begin to provide a challenge until in the last stages of the end, and the JRPG fights are too easy.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Good thread!
Many of these games are listed on RPGWatch: here & here & here.

You had your chance to be the cool site, but you chased your only forum user who actually likes rpgs away with pitchforks and puritanical hate. I saw a post where that fucking retard drama queen that started the whole thing because I made a post with pervert in the title and her kids would look at the word pervert and have their brains explode talk about how her precious retarded kids are playing Fallout 4. Fucking puritanical whore cunt with her droopy eyed downy retard kids. God, she needs a good face urination session to cleanse her hypocrisy away. Please pass on my kindest regards to her and her retard kids and tell her I hope she gets aids and dies a miserable aids infected agonizing death and burns in the special place in hell that is set aside for fucking inbred puritanical hypocrites for all of eternity.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
How obscure are we talking? Legends of Eisenwald and Madman! are two indie games discussed before on this site during the past year and which probably deserve more attention than what they are getting. Also, Heroine's Quest and Paper Sorcerer were indie games that did well recently, but didn't get more attention than Fallout 4.

Zetor

Arcane
How obscure are we talking? Legends of Eisenwald and Madman! are two indie games discussed before on this site during the past year and which probably deserve more attention than what they are getting. Also, Heroine's Quest and Paper Sorcerer were indie games that did well recently, but didn't get more attention than Fallout 4.
Same with Telepath Tactics -- it had a bit of codex attention including its own thread, but according to steamspy it has fewer owners than all but one of the 2015 games in the first post. Heck, SitS seems to be almost twice as popular.

e: Voidspire Tactics seems to have the fewest owners overall, though it IS a Nov 2015 release...

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
In my opinion since this is in the rpg forum it should only contain proper or mostly proper rpgs (games that are more proper rpgs than any other genre). I would remove Templar Battleforce and replace it with Heroes of Steel since that is close enough to a proper rpg and Templar BF isn't (made by the same guys). I would definitely exclude Legends of Eisenwald and Telepath Tactics. Maybe replace Telepath Tactics with Telepath RPG (which is a good rpg game that needs more exposure)? SitSL is doing well in the poll and frankly if you consider yourself a rpg fan and haven't heard of that you aren't. I can see the console idiots skipping it due to graphics but they must know about it. This is more stuff that the console fans who post news will never post about.

Every hipster knows about Lisa and Undertail and Binding of Isaac and games like that. This isn't about hipster games, but indies rpgs that are pretty good and people who like crpgs may of never heard about due to the bourgeoisie that control the news of this and other gaming sites try to keep everyone focused on console games and hipster shit.

We could definitely start a new post like this in Strategy for games like Templar BF, Legends of Eisenwald, and Telepath Tactics, may as well put Red Solstice in that one too.

We could also start a new hipster post in general gaming for games the hipsters somehow missed because they were too busy playing Dark Souls and Undertail maybe?

And one for Space games with heavy rpg elements would be nice (for games like Star Nomad 2, Void Expanse, Starpoint Gemini, Space Wolves 1-3, all the ones with small scale squads or single character with ship upgrades and character upgrades). I think everyone knows about Drox and Space Rangers unless they are retarded or console fans (to be redundant).

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
I would remove Templar Battleforce and replace it with Heroes of Steel
That Android RPG?
3_heroes_of_steel_rpg_elite.jpg

V_K

Arcane
Sorry, I actually missed you asking for descriptions. Another one like Hellion is Last Dream - it has full 4 member party creation and controllable character customization in the form of purchasing passives and active abiltiies for skill points. It does not have the great skill system like hellion, where you can increase your lockpicking, etc.
Will check it out, thanks!

One game that really, really needs more exposure (in my opinion) is Aarklash Legacy. The amount of people that haven't played this is criminal. It literally is the only game ever made with not just a hands-on, need to pay attention, take an active participation in combat RTwP system, but a full-blown really good combat system that happens to very surprisingly be RTwP.
I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, it's technically not an indie but an AA release. On the other hand, the game's thread isn't very active, but the reviews there are mostly positive. Will wait for more opinions.

Consortium's pretty good and I believe currently free or if not, very cheap.
Not anymore, back at 10$.

V_K

Arcane
Mr. Robot (2007) combines isometric platforming with JRPG elements as you control a gang of robots aboard a starship that's tasked with saving the crew of the ship from death.

The isometric parts of the game are clearly inspired by games such as Head Over Heels, while the JRPG elements have a "The Matrix"-vibe to them as you log on into the ship's network and fight security programs and viruses and such.

It's fun while it lasts, but the game felt to me like it had potential to be something cool, but never did anything with it. The puzzles in the isometric section don't even begin to provide a challenge until in the last stages of the end, and the JRPG fights are too easy.
Sounds interesting, thanks!
I doubt it'll be getting endorsements due to its obscurity.
Don't tell anyone, but I'm willing to take you recommendation at face value cause you're a :obviously: bro.

It's not as much about being obscure in the outer world, as it is about flying under the Codex's radar. So the basic criterion is no Codex thread or a thread that is less than 5-6 pages long. All four games you mentioned have active threads and/or reviews and newsposts dedicated to them, so I don't think including them in the list here would do them much good.

V_K

Arcane
Qasir al-Wasat is a stealth action-adventure set in an enigmatic 12th Century Syrian palace. You play as an invisible creature, summoned from another world to complete an assassination mission. Although deadly, you are a fragile being and must navigate the trap-filled corridors without alerting guards and… whatever else might be locked in this fortress in-between worlds.
Sounds extremely interesting, but does it have enough (any&) RPG credentials?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obscure indie dev who needs more recognition?

ME!!!! ME!!!! ME!!!!
:happytrollboy::happytrollboy::happytrollboy:

tred

Augur
screen3.jpg

cutaway.jpg

Datajack. Isometric cyberpunk game.

Syndicate/Deus Ex vibes.
Not very long.
Skill trees, cybernetic limbs, stats, etc. In my opinion it is much better than Shadowrun on what it tries to do. It is not turn based however.
3 different factions to work for (so 3 different endings more or less): Corporations, a Military organization and an Anarchist/Terrorist collective.
What made me truly love it is the mission descriptions...the Anarchist Collective use a lot of Deleuze-Guatarri quotes. Just beautiful.
Non retarded dialogue (unlike Shadowrun).
You have an apartment, get money on missions to buy equipment.
Civilians can be killed. You can go in guns blazing or using stealth. You can use guns (pistols, shotguns, sniper rifles) or go meele-only (there are knifes, katanas, etc).
If you side with different factions you can see the same mission from a different point of view.
I was surprised to see that piece of shit that is Shadowrun being praised here while I've never seen fellow codexers discussing this game.
Hmmm...what else...it's been a long time since I've played it, but I have good memories. Worth a try. Oh, by the way, it is free.

Game description on Desura:
In the not-too-distant future, governments have dissolved and powerful mega-corporations wage covert wars for territory and the control of information. As a freelance mercenary, you will conduct sabotage, assassinations, espionage and ambushes on their behalf to line your pockets and pay for top-of-the-line weapons and cybernetic limbs. Will you side with the corporations, the private military, or perhaps with the radical anarchist youth hacker gang in an attempt to bring down the entire corrupt system?

V_K

Arcane
screen3.jpg

cutaway.jpg

Datajack. Isometric cyberpunk game.

Syndicate/Deus Ex vibes.
Not very long.
Skill trees, cybernetic limbs, stats, etc. In my opinion it is much better than Shadowrun on what it tries to do. It is not turn based however.
3 different factions to work for (so 3 different endings more or less): Corporations, a Military organization and an Anarchist/Terrorist collective.
What made me truly love it is the mission descriptions...the Anarchist Collective use a lot of Deleuze-Guatarri quotes. Just beautiful.
Non retarded dialogue (unlike Shadowrun).
You have an apartment, get money on missions to buy equipment.
Civilians can be killed. You can go in guns blazing or using stealth. You can use guns (pistols, shotguns, sniper rifles) or go meele-only (there are knifes, katanas, etc).
If you side with different factions you can see the same mission from a different point of view.
I was surprised to see that piece of shit that is Shadowrun being praised here while I've never seen fellow codexers discussing this game.
Hmmm...what else...it's been a long time since I've played it, but I have good memories. Worth a try. Oh, by the way, it is free.

Game description on Desura:
In the not-too-distant future, governments have dissolved and powerful mega-corporations wage covert wars for territory and the control of information. As a freelance mercenary, you will conduct sabotage, assassinations, espionage and ambushes on their behalf to line your pockets and pay for top-of-the-line weapons and cybernetic limbs. Will you side with the corporations, the private military, or perhaps with the radical anarchist youth hacker gang in an attempt to bring down the entire corrupt system?
So a description in OP should go something like "An isometric cyberpunk Stealth Action/RPG that allows you to choose between three different factions and several approaches to missions at hand"?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
"An isometric cyberpunk Stealth Action/RPG that allows you to choose between three different factions and several approaches to missions at hand, unlike that piece of shit shadowrun"
:obviously: :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom