Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dude, here is random comment from youtube

So obsidian went independent because of big company pressures and to do what they’re interested in we the fans funded their passion and they garnered respect and success followed just to go full circle to sell their company to a big company nay even bigger like Microsoft. Congrats you are indeed business savvy.

Truly the quest for creative freedom takes unexpected forms...

Obsidian had as much creative freedom as anyone. That is, as much as your budget allows you to.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
first person bloodlines esque shadowrun, full PnP implementation, Microsoft funding, cainarsky direction and the full power of the

xbox

oh

Its going to be back to 2004 - 2014 kind of time where traditional turn-based or even Rtwp kind of RPG will only released every few years or so. Should be a bit better because Larian and some indie games which have one decade development cycle, but the ""old is the new modern rpg" time is probably over.

But I still have my weeb game and waifu so I am kinda fine :dealwithit:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Incoming Shadowrun turnbased RPG by inExile and Obsidian :bounce:
first person bloodlines esque shadowrun, full PnP implementation, Microsoft funding, cainarsky direction and the full power of the

xbox

oh
Anything being done for consoles would probably target the upcoming generation. So that part at least should be ok.

Consoleized gameplay and controls and stuff, not so much

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Its going to be back to 2004 - 2014 kind of time where traditional turn-based or even Rtwp kind of RPG will only released every few years or so. Should be a bit better because Larian and some indie games which have one decade development cycle, but the ""old is the new modern rpg" time is probably over.

inXile is still pursuing the Autoduel license, so we might get one last hurrah.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Feargus is delusional. Obsidian is a Microsoft partner now. A partner !? ... sure, like a whore is a partner to a pimp.

:hahyou:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Did anyone actually play State of Decay 2? Like, that's the only modern microsoft RPG acquisition I can think of. How did it turn out?

Quillon

Arcane
Btw. its interesting that Tim is calling Obsidian "they"...he's been there for 7 years.

mondblut

Arcane
When they get merged within days, will the resulting abomination be called inXidian or ObXile?

I'd love to see MCA's face when he's told he'll be working under Feargus again :lol:

Quillon

Arcane
Did anyone actually play State of Decay 2? Like, that's the only modern microsoft RPG acquisition I can think of. How did it turn out?

Its not an RPG tho I played it; its no better than the first one, still repetitive as fuck, arguably worse with very limited pop cap for base, guess changing engines didn't help them. But its fair to say MS acquisition seems to have not effected anything positively or negatively, its still equally shit game.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Considering what has happened to studios and franchises acquired by Microsoft, I think that being acquired by EA would have been a slower death, perhaps less dignified, but certainly slower. But I certainly will be surprised if Obsidian or inXile still exist 5 years from now. Microsoft has been horrible to every company it touches. I still can't believe they went through with this.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
Considering what has happened to studios and franchises acquired by Microsoft, I think that being acquired by EA would have been a slower death, perhaps less dignified, but certainly slower. But I certainly will be surprised if Obsidian or inXile still exist 5 years from now. Microsoft has been horrible to every company it touches. I still can't believe they went through with this.
Microsoft is bad to the companies but surely very nice to the owners who they gave a lot of money to

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
vWqQGSr.png

:takemymoney::takemyjewgold:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In a few years Tim Cain and Feargus (with his big golden parachute) are going to do a kickstarter under the Troika label and all will return to how it was lol
That sounds...frighteningly realistic. I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to give them money...oh God who I am kidding.

jf8350143

Liturgist
At least they will be still making RPGs(or so they said), Bioware and Bethesda didn't even bother to making rpgs anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom