Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian and inXile acquired by Microsoft

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone who thinks these studios will make anything other than popamole trash, hasn't been paying attention.
A94FJb.png

2house2fly

Magister
All this time I've just been inferring based on context. I wonder if I've been getting it right

PrettyDeadman

It's kind of funny how buddy-buddy he is with Fargo. All the informed consumers here should tell him how bad Fargo is

My last work on WL3 (but not all inXile games) ended ~October of 2017.

The inXile purchase was definitely a surprise, though, I had no idea that was happening... but in terms of BT4, it was most likely a deal that started before the game's release (these kind of purchase agreements are usually 6 months+ with 6 months being the bare minimum).

I do think it's (unfortunately) significant MS chose to announce the inXile purchase first, that's definite shade on inXile. And b/c I love working with George Ziets, that makes me "slightly" angry.

I wonder if the fact that the news about MS purchasing Obsidian were leaked, while news about MS were purchasing Inxile were not - means that Inxile employees have more loyalty that Obsidian employees.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I wouldn't terribly mind Halo isometric RPG, to be honest. At least it's sci-fi so it has that going for it. Plus there's probably a lot of lore to draw from in all of the accompanying books and other merchandise produced over the years.

I haven't played any Halo since the first, but... does the bestiary have anything beyond the Covenant aliens and the zombie-like Flood?

I wonder if the fact that the news about MS purchasing Obsidian were leaked, while news about MS were purchasing InExile were not - means that InExile employees have more loyalty that Obsidian employees.

Might just be that less people cared so it wasn't a rumor worth spreading.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So Obsidian and inXile will now be stuck making the same games over and over. Wonder when the Forza rpg by Obsidian will come out or inXile's Torment : Gears Of Banjokahalo will release?
Both of those sound better than Brian Fargo Presents Wastelands 2

Though, ironically, the Forza people are already making an RPG, so Obsidian's safe on that front.
Brian Fargo is a faggot

Fargo. Fargo never changes.

Also, will Josh now finally get promoted to Chief Balance Officer?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Halo RPG sounds retarded.

Since Phil Spencer seems to be going around and making irresponsible purchases like the kid from the movie "Blank Check", they should buy Relic and have them make a Halo themed Homeworld sequel.
And while they're at it they should shut Relic down because they're trash.

Quillon

Arcane
Yesteryear this times Pdx started to push its marketing for Obs then Obs went to Versus Evil and recently VE was seemingly trying something with PoE vids and now Obs is with MS. Did Obs scam Pdx&VE/bait & switch for some last min gains? :P

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yesteryear this times Pdx started to push its marketing for Obs then Obs went to Versus Evil and recently VE was seemingly trying something with PoE vids and now Obs is with MS. Did Obs scam Pdx&VE/bait & switch for some last min gains? :P

Paradox kicked them out after Tyranny

Quillon

Arcane

Paradox kicked them out after Tyranny

Yeah no, this was a year later of Tyranny release & they were in talks for Deadfire's publishing.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Fargo has mad skills. Why the hell would you want to buy Inxile? No big hits, fairly mediocre reviews? Bizarre choice for Microsoft.
Microsoft is just trying to kill PC gaming as they have been doing since releasing the original Xbox.

InXile was simply the only other company they could their hands on.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Halo RPG sounds retarded.

Since Phil Spencer seems to be going around and making irresponsible purchases like the kid from the movie "Blank Check", they should buy Relic and have them make a Halo themed Homeworld sequel.
And while they're at it they should shut Relic down because they're trash.
Phil Spencer is a smug cunt. Xbox owners(not all of them) hype the guy up like he is a messiah. But what people forget is he has cancelled so many projects and while Mattrick took a lot of shit, Spencer was just as responsible. And when Spencer started doing the "diversity" "toxic" etc. it just shows he's a little progressive cuck. The gaming industry is officially fucked

GrainWetski

Arcane
Exactly. After PoE2's sales Obsidian was bound to die in a year to two. While its taking EA DECADES to kill BioWare.
Better to die making something merely mediocre like PoE2 than to be stuck making Andromedas and Anthems.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Cael

Arcane
It's time for Chris Avellone to start his own company and save gaming
Problem is whether he can find good programmers. Last thing we want is the bug singularity that is Kingmaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom