Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Founder Says He Would 'Love To Make A New Fallout Game

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wasn't there some news some months back that Microsoft wanted a "Fallout New Vegas 2"?
If Microsoft has any sense, it will return the Fallout franchise to the original creator:

1qIOV5b.png

And if Brian Fargo has any sense, he will hire the mysterious personage known as Christophe Averoigne for the position of lead writer.

Yeah, cause Avellone has developed so many great games lately...

That DLC he did for New Vegas, the linear 7 hour slog with the guy whining about something in the background, that is the post PST Avellone.

Any retard can write one half-decent companion while chasing after low level chicks at conventions.

When was the last good game he made? He started off with PST and Fallout 2. And then... nothing...

The shitty KotOR2, the shittier Alpha Protocol, the terrible FNV DLC... Maybe there is a reason he has been a sideshow for the last 10 years... He is probably more burned out than Cain/Boyarski.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Obsidian founder namedrops Fallout to get desperate nerds to care. They do this every year or two.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
Obsidian founder namedrops Fallout to get desperate nerds to care. They do this every year or two.
Obsidian is playing little games here or that's how I interpret it. Bethesda didn't like being outshone by Obsidian with FNV, I think this is pretty open and known, ergo they stopped counting on them to work on Bethesda IPs. The metacritic deal also soured things from Obsidian's perspective but they needed the work more than Bethesda needed Obsidian. That's all in the past nonetheless, fast forward to today and they're both under Microsoft's umbrella, the Fallout brand has been damaged and Bethesda now wants Starfield to be the next big IP to act as second fiddle to TES. These statements sound like "hey, we can take care of Fallout again while you develop TES6 & Starfield, no harm done, *wink wink*". With this, Obsidian could be relevant again by getting their hands back on Fallout for a second time...

Any coincidence with real events are incidental. Thanks for reading my fan fiction.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
What's up with the Talking Deathclaw hate anyway, they're not a very relevant element in FO2.
It's something 4chan took and ran away with it to belittle FO2, added to the TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE pop culture references that somehow weren't a problem in FO1. They say 'TALKING DEATHCLAWS!' and it's supposed to be a gotcha moment that defeats the FO2 defenders in one instant without comeback. People just repeat what they read online.

I have zero respek for Obsidian until they show me something. I used to like them back when they first formed from BIS, and when FNV came out. Was very excited for a lot of their games, and they let me down almost every single time.

Since BIS became Obsidian (practically speaking), they have released one good game (FNV), and one good expansion pack (MotB). Everything else has been somewhere between bad (Alpha Protocol, Outer Turds), mediocre (Pooplars of Eternity, NWN2, KotOR2) and SO FUCKING WEIRD WILL NOT TOUCH (Grounded, South Park).

As far as I am concerned now, they are a low budget Bethesda.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
A lot of dungeon crawlers you pick to play an evil dwarf ranger or whatever, and the game doesn't change if you are good or evil, a ranger or barbarian, a dwarf or an orc, other than the actual combat math and abilities you can use.

I'd say these games don't qualify as RPGs.

Because you are a cretin

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Obsidian have not made any game worth playing in the last decade except POE

What? No

PoE is not worth playing for fundamental reasons that are very clear

- Amateurish writing by Californian hipsters and nobodies. Evident by lore dumps and high exposition everywhere. <starts game> "The pact of Glanfanthan was the last hope of the Valirian republics under king Roric..." Oh fuck off... Lack of understanding basic writing principles. Moving on
- Ruleset concocted by a delusional faggot. Looks a little like 4E but ruined by accessibility and an autistic tendency towards systemic symmetry. RTwP isn't even the biggest problem, it's the inherently low stat bonuses (+0.03% damage per point... belongs in a Diablo game with 100 level cap), "per encounter" garbage which takes away any tactical approach and "Endurance", an idiotic mechanic which serves no purpose than to make the game accessible to the masses
- copy-pasted worldbuilding on the level on Harry Potter. fampyrs = vampires, ghuls = ghouls, ripped xaurips off kobolds, vithracks off ilithid and godlikes off planetouched. Low effort and talentless banal shite

Codex Year of the Donut
PoE is not worth playing for fundamental reasons that are very clear
I found the pillows DLCs(white march 1+2) to be quite good, were they done by a different team than the main pillows team?
Roguey

The main issue is you still have to slog through pillows to get to them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What's up with the Talking Deathclaw hate anyway, they're not a very relevant element in FO2.
It's something 4chan took and ran away with it to belittle FO2, added to the TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE pop culture references that somehow weren't a problem in FO1. They say 'TALKING DEATHCLAWS!' and it's supposed to be a gotcha moment that defeats the FO2 defenders in one instant without comeback. People just repeat what they read online.
"To the Northeast you spot a police box"

apbsbh.gif

Ryan muller

Educated
What is the codex opinion on PoE 2 btw? It seems much less streamlined in character building compared to the original but ive never played due to how shitty the original was.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I found the pillows DLCs(white march 1+2) to be quite good, were they done by a different team than the main pillows team?
@Roguey

The main issue is you still have to slog through pillows to get to them.
Nope, same core team as base Pillars, just smaller. As former Obsidian dev Chapman put it

Honestly working on expansions/patches/sequels is the best. You've answered the boring questions by then, can focus on the fun stuff.

It's one of the reasons games often don't come into their own until the first expansion (or in the case of annualized sequels, the 2nd game)
Deadfire is divisive because Sawyer decided to re-answer some questions.

just

Liturgist
approve, but only if they also make an an1me(western production(american politics allegory))

Chris Avalonne wrote Alpha Protocol? The writing and the story were the only reason I stuck through that game, multiple times even. I'd think you C&C maniacs would love that game. I mean you put up with Arcanum combat, so I'd think you could slog through the terrible gunfighting in Alpha Protocol. Which really wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good either lol.

Still, I loved the setting, and how reactive things were. The lockpicking, hacking, and that other minigame were awful though.

1. Yes. Its an interesting society and I would like to see more depth to it.

2. No, it wouldn't. They're established already and they're interesting (Chinese military submarine survivors who have their isolationist technotopia city-state?).
The Legion was interesting (at least potentially), but it just seems farfetched to me. It's entirely the creation of a single man, who somehow convinces everyone to become Roman LARPers. Was the Roman Empire ever mentioned before in the canon? And yes, I know the American Republic was inspired by Rome, but that was the result of an entire class of people being obsessed with Rome. In FNV it's just Caesar. It's a Sawyerism.

The Chinese military submarine survivor angle is interesting, I concede. SF is still a clusterfuck.

The original Fallout was going to have intelligent racoons, btw.
I think its a logical endgoal when you consider that Deathclaws are a pre-war bioweapon.
How they are made intelligent is explined as well.
I could present a laundry list of everything that's wrong with FO2, but that's been done to death. I though everyone would agree re:Deathclaws, I guess not. If they wanted to make a plot point of them developing high intelligence, they could've found a less lazy way than making them speak English, which would be extremely unlikely from a physiological perspective. It's just careless design.

This is the problem with an expanding canon. In this case everyone saw it was stupid, so they didn't show up again.

I'm not even aware of the kind of nonsense that might be hidden in FO3, 4, 69, w/e, as I never touched them.

Well some of us DO like that kind of thing.
Also you might as well want to reboot the series, going by that logic.

I know you nerds do, that's the problem. I want a true Fallout setting and story. I don't care how everything lines up in the wiki.

Ryan muller

Educated
1. Yes. Its an interesting society and I would like to see more depth to it.

2. No, it wouldn't. They're established already and they're interesting (Chinese military submarine survivors who have their isolationist technotopia city-state?).
The Legion was interesting (at least potentially), but it just seems farfetched to me. It's entirely the creation of a single man, who somehow convinces everyone to become Roman LARPers. Was the Roman Empire ever mentioned before in the canon? And yes, I know the American Republic was inspired by Rome, but that was the result of an entire class of people being obsessed with Rome. In FNV it's just Caesar. It's a Sawyerism.

The Chinese military submarine survivor angle is interesting, I concede. SF is still a clusterfuck.

The original Fallout was going to have intelligent racoons, btw.
I think its a logical endgoal when you consider that Deathclaws are a pre-war bioweapon.
How they are made intelligent is explined as well.
I could present a laundry list of everything that's wrong with FO2, but that's been done to death. I though everyone would agree re:Deathclaws, I guess not. If they wanted to make a plot point of them developing high intelligence, they could've found a less lazy way than making them speak English, which would be extremely unlikely from a physiological perspective. It's just careless design.

This is the problem with an expanding canon. In this case everyone saw it was stupid, so they didn't show up again.

I'm not even aware of the kind of nonsense that might be hidden in FO3, 4, 69, w/e, as I never touched them.

Well some of us DO like that kind of thing.
Also you might as well want to reboot the series, going by that logic.

I know you nerds do, that's the problem. I want a true Fallout setting and story. I don't care how everything lines up in the wiki.
They learned english throught mimicing enclave officers, slowly learning about the words they ve said and what they meant

Its not a question of them suddenly knowing english, but because they work like parrots and they were surrounded by americans its very unlikely they would speak in spanish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom