Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Founder Says He Would 'Love To Make A New Fallout Game

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Deathclaws are heavily mutated Jackson's chameleons that were subjected to the FEV virus.
The Talking Deathclaws were also the Enclave's attempt at producing extremely resilient shock troops with only a modicum of intelligence. Intelligent enough to follow orders and not much else. Obviously,they fucked up,as some of the Deathclaws are more intelligent than the norm(see Goris,the Deathclaw scholar and erudite).

Human speech is a physiological adaptation, it's very unlikely a 300IQ lizard would be able to mimic it. Maybe it could use sign language, who knows?

Parrots can do it, though their speech is not exactly the same as ours. The talking parrot varieties are very intelligent btw, on the level of 3-4 year old humans. They would need to genetically engineer vocal cords or equivalent for the lizards though.

Yeah that last part sounds retarded. How would Wizardry not be classed as an RPG today? This argument would mean that IWD isn't an RPG because it is so heavily combat focused.
It's because Sawyer is an alcoholic hipster who thinks having a visual novel simulator in dialogue is the defining feature of an rpg. This is why he's been developing a casual adventure game with visual novel elements inspired by his fellow alcoholic and soychugging hipster fellows who made a visual novel with adventure game elements and falsely claimed it was an rpg because it had a bare minimum perk system like every other casual mobile phone/tower-defense/looter-shooter/etc. game in the last decade. Fortunately, Obsidian forced him to correctly list his game as a casual adventure game.
Its debatable. For me, a roleplaying game is a game in which you can choose what role to play out of a set of archetypes, and the game takes this into account and addresses you as such in the narrative and the mechanics.
A lot of dungeon crawlers you pick to play an evil dwarf ranger or whatever, and the game doesn't change if you are good or evil, a ranger or barbarian, a dwarf or an orc, other than the actual combat math and abilities you can use. I'd say these games don't qualify as RPGs. Even having a unique quest for each class, a unique quest for each race, a quest only good characters can take, a way to solve a quest only evil characters would pick, that retard in Skyrim who comes to talk to you only after you've stolen X amount of gold, etc, the game addressing your choices, is required for an RPG. If the game doesn't change based on what role you are playing, its not a role playing game.
Why are there so many people who don't understand how characterization works? I hear this kind of "tell, don't show" shit from writers and game designers all the time now.

How a person acts is also how they are characterized within a story. That means the way that a person fights is a part of their characterization. A shrinking violet won't choose to get up-close-and-personal, an attention whore will showboat with flashy moves, a compassionate person will refuse to use bystanders as human shields, and so on.

Here's an example from the movie The One:

Note how the fighting style of Gabriel and evil alternate universe Gabriel differ? The two styles are a metaphor for each man's demeanor and outlook on life. This is how good characterization is done, not with expository diarrhea.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Note how the fighting style of Gabriel and evil alternate universe Gabriel differ? The two styles are a metaphor for each man's demeanor and outlook on life. This is how good characterization is done, not with expository diarrhea.
Okay. And another way its done is for bandits to not attack the chosen one godslayer king of the universe when he's out on his flaming steed. You know, for the environment to react to who you are playing as.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Fallout: New Vegas regarded as the best one in the series by most codexers? I'm just curious.

Is considered better than bugthesda but worse than classic fallouts.

I played New Vegas near launch, it was one of the buggiest game experiences I've ever had on an alleged complete launch title. In fact, New Vegas is one of the reasons why I wait 1-2 years after launch on these types of open world titles before I even consider touching them.

I had to use the developer console in New Vegas on at least 3 occasions to fix broken/locked quests, within the first like 10-15hrs in the game. The only one I really remember was getting locked in the Brotherhood of Steel questline, and I couldn't fix that one even with the developer console. That was the last straw for me. Shelved the game and haven't touched it again since then.

You're missing out.

None

Scholar
Someone on Reddit claims Josh Sawyer would not be interested working on a game this size again. How necessary would Sawyer be for another New Vegas like Fallout?
Working on anything other than a glorified browser game would mean less posting on Twitter and more working, so not going to happen.

What I'd like to see is joint development by Bethesda and Obsidian. Just imagine the bug-ridden mess we'd end up with.

Dadd

Learned
If you wanted another Fallout you should've been more supportive of Sawyer when he was making real computer rpg games instead of shitting on his babies over hundreds of pages.

Human speech is a physiological adaptation, it's very unlikely a 300IQ lizard would be able to mimic it. Maybe it could use sign language, who knows?
If they're being genetically engineered it doesn't matter

It's a bit of a stretch that FEV would modify them in such a specific way. I mentioned sign language, because I find it much more likely that a sufficiently intelligent creature would use that instead.

Parrots can do it, though their speech is not exactly the same as ours. The talking parrot varieties are very intelligent btw, on the level of 3-4 year old humans. They would need to genetically engineer vocal cords or equivalent for the lizards though.

Aren't Deathclaws supposed to be chameleons? Why would they mutate to sound like singing birds? And parrots don't have speech, as they don't form sentences on their own. Presumably they'd be able to do it with enough symbolic intelligence, maybe.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If they're being genetically engineered it doesn't matter

It's a bit of a stretch that FEV would modify them in such a specific way. I mentioned sign language, because I find it much more likely that a sufficiently intelligent creature would use that instead.

Aren't Deathclaws supposed to be chameleons? Why would they mutate to sound like singing birds? And parrots don't have speech, as they don't form sentences on their own. Presumably they'd be able to do it with enough symbolic intelligence, maybe.
When you have the resources of the Enclave(the last remnants of the U.S government),that really isn't a problem.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Deadfire is divisive because Sawyer decided to re-answer some questions.

funny because he did not

he COULD have fixed the shameful oversights in core systems

instead he focused on visuals and explosions and banal shite like talking parrots, thinking this will sell the game

ofc it bombed cause the first game was boring trash. and the fake cult gem retrospective by infintron didnt help

the only good adjustments he did for 2 are removing endurance from the game (u have to be an idiot not too) and reducing the number of conditions

2 is still a shit game for the same reasons 1 is (writing, lore, ruleset, core systems, system bloat)

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Obsidian didn't make FNV, companies are not living entities, corporation worship is bad.
Nearly all the people responsible for FNV do not work at Obsidian anymore.

And despite Sawyer being there still, TOW's loot treadmill shows clearly that at least one of the great pieces of game design he put in New Vegas (how weapon progression works) was actively dropped.

Okay. And another way its done is for bandits to not attack the chosen one godslayer king of the universe when he's out on his flaming steed. You know, for the environment to react to who you are playing as.
All the bandits know is that you're carrying a lot of bling, and that there's only one of you, while there are ten of them. How would pig-ignorant bandits living out in the sticks know you're murderhobo killing machine who takes on worse odds without breaking a sweat?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Alpha Protocol is another decent game locked in confines of abhorrent game engine.
Alpha Protocol is a cover-based shooter with linear levels that are mostly horrifically designed and provide almost no exploration, limited character options, semi-interactive cutscenes, and story-based C&C with a non-linear overall structure to the game. The game engine itself is probably poorly programmed, but that was not the fundamental problem.

I really don't think Obsidian should be given the Fallout IP to fuck with. FNV was a miracle of circumstance. The current people at that studio have no business making fallout.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just wanna keep laughing in this thread over and over again if you guys do not mind too much.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I don't know about the general consensus, but the reason I dislike Fall 2 / Tactics talking Deathclaws is that the writers of the original game liked to present it as mythical creatures, in Fall 1 they were treated as cryptids — at least that's the closer thing that comes to mind.

If you had the unfortunate luck of encountering one on your travels, you were supposed to avoid looking it in the eyes, or you were done for! Talking with it like it was civilized, and expecting it to react peacefully, was out of question. And make alliances with Deathclaw "clans", and ask them to join your group? Pffft, an even stupider idea, there's no way that would happen.

Tactics Deathclaws are an even bigger laughing stock, as the new design is atrocious!

I know about the racoons by the way. I would be criticizing them too, if they were included in the final release.
Talking deathclaws are the case of reusing assets.

The entire Vault 13 in Fallout 2 mostly reuses old assets from Fallout 1. The Vault is mostly the same, deathclaw sprites are the same (only Goris is new) and the dialogue there was written in the obvious haste.

They just needed another cool faction but were hard pressed on time to do anything better

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Is Fallout: New Vegas regarded as the best one in the series by most codexers? I'm just curious.

If New Vegas had had proper game mechanics, presentation, and a suitable engine, then it could have been a contender with the same storylines, factions, characters, and atmosphere.

Being based upon a dumbed-down action shooter with light "RPG elements" in a kludged POS of an engine held it back.

Still, taking the crown from 1 would be difficult at best.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
Gamebryo ruined NV for me and not amount of modding will fix it.

Whatever happened to that New Vegas 'demake' btw?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
What's up with the Talking Deathclaw hate anyway, they're not a very relevant element in FO2.
The original Fallout was going to have intelligent racoons, btw.
I think its a logical endgoal when you consider that Deathclaws are a pre-war bioweapon.
How they are made intelligent is explined as well.

Was going to have. Then they decided not to do that. That should be the important takeaway from this bit of trivia. The point of editing is to hopefully remove, or not implement in the first place, the ideas that are shit, that's something that modders don't understand when they make things like content restoration mods.

wishbonetail

Learned
(e.g. SF, talking Deathclaws).
What's up with the Talking Deathclaw hate anyway, they're not a very relevant element in FO2.
The original Fallout was going to have intelligent racoons, btw.
I think its a logical endgoal when you consider that Deathclaws are a pre-war bioweapon.
How they are made intelligent is explined as well.

I don't know about the general consensus, but the reason I dislike Fall 2 / Tactics talking Deathclaws is that the writers of the original game liked to present it as mythical creatures, in Fall 1 they were treated as cryptids — at least that's the closer thing that comes to mind.

If you had the unfortunate luck of encountering one on your travels, you were supposed to avoid looking it in the eyes, or you were done for! Talking with it like it was civilized, and expecting it to react peacefully, was out of question. And make alliances with Deathclaw "clans", and ask them to join your group? Pffft, an even stupider idea, there's no way that would happen.

Tactics Deathclaws are an even bigger laughing stock, as the new design is atrocious!

I know about the racoons by the way. I would be criticizing them too, if they were included in the final release.
Wanted to remind everyone that there's a fucking GHOST in the Den. Guess FEV and genetic engeneering got something to do with it and not the fact that Fo2 is a tomfoolery and every single Fo2 mod game is better that Fo2.

Codex Year of the Donut
Wanted to remind everyone that there's a fucking GHOST in the Den. Guess FEV and genetic engeneering got something to do with it and not the fact that Fo2 is a tomfoolery and every single Fo2 mod game is better that Fo2.
people with psychic powers I'm willing to accept, but ghosts?! That's just too far.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
A game that features ghouls prominently in every game, but ghosts are just too far out there?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Atheists dislike ghosts in their realistic game about radiation making monster people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom