Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Founder Says He Would 'Love To Make A New Fallout Game

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Is Fallout: New Vegas regarded as the best one in the series by most codexers? I'm just curious.
I think all 3D Fallout games suck. It's not like they're absolutely terrible games, but they don't hold any comparison to F1/2. Overall, for me, F3/4/NV are about the same. I don't think NV is much better than the Bethesda games. In particular, I think NV is ugly and overwritten.

FriendlyMerchant

Yeah that last part sounds retarded. How would Wizardry not be classed as an RPG today? This argument would mean that IWD isn't an RPG because it is so heavily combat focused.
It's because Sawyer is an alcoholic hipster who thinks having a visual novel simulator in dialogue is the defining feature of an rpg. This is why he's been developing a casual adventure game with visual novel elements inspired by his fellow alcoholic and soychugging hipster fellows who made a visual novel with adventure game elements and falsely claimed it was an rpg because it had a bare minimum perk system like every other casual mobile phone/tower-defense/looter-shooter/etc. game in the last decade. Fortunately, Obsidian forced him to correctly list his game as a casual adventure game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whether or not they ever get to make another Fallout title, I don’t think it’d serve much purpose to make it a ”Bethesda-Fallout” clone (or TOW-clone). Although not an ”Inxile-Wasteland” clone either.

So what ever the possible-but-unlikely game would be, I think it should try to explore at least somewhat different design avenues.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
All that needs to be done regarding Sawyer is to give him a role to channel his autism ("attention to detail") for a constructive purpose, that which is impossible to inject with wall st approved politics.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah that last part sounds retarded. How would Wizardry not be classed as an RPG today? This argument would mean that IWD isn't an RPG because it is so heavily combat focused.
It's because Sawyer is an alcoholic hipster who thinks having a visual novel simulator in dialogue is the defining feature of an rpg. This is why he's been developing a casual adventure game with visual novel elements inspired by his fellow alcoholic and soychugging hipster fellows who made a visual novel with adventure game elements and falsely claimed it was an rpg because it had a bare minimum perk system like every other casual mobile phone/tower-defense/looter-shooter/etc. game in the last decade. Fortunately, Obsidian forced him to correctly list his game as a casual adventure game.
Its debatable. For me, a roleplaying game is a game in which you can choose what role to play out of a set of archetypes, and the game takes this into account and addresses you as such in the narrative and the mechanics.
A lot of dungeon crawlers you pick to play an evil dwarf ranger or whatever, and the game doesn't change if you are good or evil, a ranger or barbarian, a dwarf or an orc, other than the actual combat math and abilities you can use. I'd say these games don't qualify as RPGs. Even having a unique quest for each class, a unique quest for each race, a quest only good characters can take, a way to solve a quest only evil characters would pick, that retard in Skyrim who comes to talk to you only after you've stolen X amount of gold, etc, the game addressing your choices, is required for an RPG. If the game doesn't change based on what role you are playing, its not a role playing game.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Why so much hate on Sawyer? PoE was a really enjoyable game as was Icewind Dale and both of those were Sawyer's brain children.
You are right imo but they would just make a FPS or something like this new dumb game he is making.

Tigranes

Arcane
The Codex's weird psychological obsession over Sawyer aside, Obsidian have not made any game worth playing in the last decade except POE series, and if you consider that POE's design direction was set in special circumstances, then the last time they came up with a flawed gem under studio funding was... FNV/Alpha Protocol. It's hard to consider them a relevant RPG maker until proven otherwise.

Fallout also died twenty years ago, and received an unlikely swansong through special circumstances to let people move on from the ghost of Van Buren. Whatever comes out now from Obsidian or anyone else will just be bad, probably.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
A lot of dungeon crawlers you pick to play an evil dwarf ranger or whatever, and the game doesn't change if you are good or evil, a ranger or barbarian, a dwarf or an orc, other than the actual combat math and abilities you can use. I'd say these games don't qualify as RPGs.

What is an RPG? Who the fuck knows as we've never seen one

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just let Fallout die with some dignity. The last enjoyable Fallout is New Vegas,and even so,it still had some issues and deviations from the original Fallout.
Interplay Fallout is that sweet chick you have known for a long time. She may be a bit old,but she is still hot,is clean and a very good woman with a pure heart. Bethesda Fallout is that chick you spend some time with,eventually bang her,then dump her upon realizing she is nothing more than a basic bitch,shallow and incredibly narcissistic.

The next fallout should be from the perspective of the enclave during the events of fallout 2, where you have to go around chaingunning families into gibs for the glory of the good ol' US of A.

A Fallout sequel, for me, is a game based primarily on Fallout 1, the Fallout game. There is no equivalence between it and the others, by a variety of reasons.

For starters, I don't like the idea of an ever expanding canon, specially when it's been passed around by several companies and project leaders, writers, etc. Only the nerds who hang around tvtropes and the fandom wiki pages like that sort of thing, the pointless accumulation of trivia, backstories, etc. It ends up trivializing everything.

I enjoyed F2 and FNV, in some cases more than F1, but ask yourself: do we really need the Legion? If San Francisco ends up being depicted again, wouldn't it be better to just completely forget about F2 and make it from scratch?

F2 is a thorny issue, because it obviously feels much closer to the source. I'd say half the game fits seamlessly into the world of Fallout, while some things could suffer a few changes (e.g. New Reno), and a few are irredeemable (e.g. SF, talking Deathclaws).

FNV I see as a spinoff, a very good one, but only a spinoff. The setting itself was fundamentally different, showing a civilization well on the way to recovery. It's much more focused on power politics and ideology. All that stuff is interesting, but the further you go with it the more it obscures the original setting and its purpose.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The next fallout should be from the perspective of the enclave during the events of fallout 2, where you have to go around chaingunning families into gibs for the glory of the good ol' US of A.
The next Fallout game should be from the perspective of a brahmin rancher/west town mayor, and it should be a colony manager type game.

Tigranes

Arcane
The one potentially interesting (/disastrous) move would be to set it pre-FO1 with citizens recently stuck in a Vault with no clear idea of the opening date... but CSG is doing that in a far better way. Certainly feels barren to try and go later in recovery timeline than F2/FNV.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Mate,that sounds awesome! Also fits the dark tone of the original Fallout.
Hell,you could choose to remain a loyal soldier of the Enclave and the States or make it out on your own in the Wasteland. Possibilities abound...

GloomFrost

Arcane
Does anyone honestly expect anything half decent from NuObsidian after the Outer Worlds? Obsidian as an RPG developer is dead, bury it. Also who and why even cares about Fallout franchise anymore. If you want isometric post ap there are Atom/Trudograd, Encased, Wasteland and Underail. Also Underail Infusion and Colony Ship are on the way. And they are going to be awsome!! Plus there are somenice free mods like Fallout Nevada and Resurrection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom