Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Duraframe300

Arcane
For me it sounded more like another example of a studio with multiple projects. At least they are two seperate sentences.
Also it wouldn't line up with what we know so far from the linkedin pages of the various directors. But, ymmv.

But there are more projects that we don't know about, than there are project directors. Josh's game is Project Missouri that leaves quite a few states unchecked after Indiana and we know of only 2 projects in development (other than Josh's project)

Could be, but theres a limit of Obsidian employees. Let's say we add only 2 more (5 projects). Those are already only 40 people per project if you lived in a perfect world where you could divide workforce evenly.

I mean, just the microsoft project alone will wrap up 100+ employees when it goes in full production. And that production phase will overlap with other projects as well.

Ofc, we could look a large batch of mobile games but I hope not.

Flou

Arbiter
Could be, but theres a limit of Obsidian employees. Let's say we add only 2 more (5 projects). Those are already only 40 people per project if you lived in a perfect world where you could divide workforce evenly.

I mean, just the microsoft project alone will wrap up 100+ employees when it goes in full production. And that production phase will overlap with other projects as well.

Ofc, we could look a large batch of mobile games but I hope not.

I doubt they are making any mobile games. Missouri is definately a smaller than 40 people project since Josh is involved. 40 people would make it almost the size of Pillars and he wanted a smaller team for his next game. 10 to 20 people when it is in full production mode.
Outer Worlds development is ramping down, but some of that team has moved on to the DLC (but those don't get a state as project name). 20 to 30 people on DLC, 10 to 20 people on bug fixing and polishing?
It takes some time for the newer projects to hit full production, so for some time teams on those will be smaller. Especially if they are creating a new IP. It took ages for Outer Worlds to finally get into full production. Boyarsky joined in April or May 2016 and the team got fully staffed after AW was taken away by the commies in late 2016 or early 2017. Bunch of people from Deadfire and Tyranny teams joined as well later on.
Would they really have 2 or 3 cancelled projects after Outer Worlds? One for sure since Deadfire didn't create enough revenue, but 2 or 3 sounds too much. Project Missisippi (half of a project in 2017 or 2018 that Feargus mentioned?) could have been in the works for quite some time now while Brennecke's and/or Perez's projects could be still in pre-production thus needing a lot less staff for now.

Indiana - Outer Worlds
Missisippi - ½ of project that was mentioned in Eurogamer articles?
Illinnois - Cancelled / on hold?
Alabama - Brennecke's project
Maine - Perez's project (POE3?)
Missouri - Josh's small tactical game

Some journalist should just ask Feargus if Missisippi and/or Illinois was cancelled, would stop the endless speculation for now :P

Quillon

Arcane
Just a reminder. Tuesday 1030am PST book it for ACG On Twitch! We have Justin Bell composer of Outer Worlds, we have Jessie Harlin composer of a ton of Star Wars games including Republic Commando, we have Austin Wintory composer of Journey, Abzu, and a ton of others, and we have Bryn Edward Hill writer of Detective Comics, Titans, TV and Screen. And ...well me. We will sit down discuss upcoming games, ask them random questions and deep dive into their lives.
https://www.twitch.tv/acgontwitch

Diggfinger

Arcane
Josh just said the next game he's working on will be nonviolent.

Which is interesting in his own right:
a) confirms he *is* actively working on a new game (as supposed to supervising/advising on other projects)
b) confirms that Obsidian has a new (unannounced) title on the way...wonder what Sawyer's role is (Director again or taking a 'lower' position)?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it's actually a Sawyer-led game, it could be some sort of historical simulation where violence doesn't make sense. Like something along the lines of The Council, for example.

Efe

Erudite
it could just be lack of graphical violence, like how a grand strategy murders people by thousands or more and they pass as trickling numbers.

Maybe by nonviolent he means combat without blood? You know, like in the blockbusters where there theoretically is violence, but practically there isn't, because everyone just falls to the ground.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, all the games he lists that are non-violent are typical nu-indie type of games, like Life is Strange. Ugh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom