Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

I would give much to have the optimism you two have. It must feel nice. I feel that the thing Netflix is doing is a more of accident caused by many factors coming together at the right moment, rather than a new paradigm for the whole entertainment industry.

Flou

Arbiter
The future for MS is a subscription service with exclusive content that pushes subscriptions, so I don't think everything has to be AAA for them anymore just because they're a massive corporation. Think of how Netflix has Stranger Things and Witcher, but also a ton of cheap ass dramas and stuff my wife watches like "On My Block."

That said I don't see them making stuff that doesn't play well on console.

Did you just say turn based roleyplaying games are incoming? ;)

Ging_Sama

Novice
What do you want for TOW2?

Even if the 1 is a 7/10 game, if they make a suite with a bigger budget,polish etc... and push the concept, I think that this franchise will surpass the fallout / mass effect formula.

Obsidian has to push RP/Factions impact in their next 3D games. Like morrowind.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
IMO, TOW2 should have more grounded and realistic feel, scary looking monsters (less cartoon-ish), better gameplay, better enemy AI, more planets, more interesting cool women and weapons like:

KVVRR

Learned

Even if the 1 is a 7/10 game, if they make a suite with a bigger budget,polish etc... and push the concept, I think that this franchise will surpass the fallout / mass effect formula.

Obsidian has to push RP/Factions impact in their next 3D games. Like morrowind.
For it to get as far away as it can from the corporations and to expand more on its universe outside of that aspect. The cliffhanger at the end should be a good place to start. Less fetchquests and quips, too.

Flou

Arbiter

Plot that actually interests me to keep playing and doesn't get interesting just when the game ends. More enemies, I don't want to see the enemies from the 1st game ever again. More factions. Better gameplay, I'm sick of shooting at enemies for an eternity to make a dent. More planets and exploration that doesn't bore me to death.

Not sure if the IP can be rescued though (at least in my eyes). I just didn't find the world very appealing and when both the gameplay and plot were lacking, it became the worst Obsidian game I've played quite fast and I had to force myself to finish the game.

Ging_Sama

Novice
https://www.linkedin.com/in/maxwell-matzenbacher-81373314a/
New Senior Combat Designer at Obsidian.

Driven to develop innovative and entertaining combat gameplay for a wide spectrum of player types. Dedicated to the development philosophy that collaboration between all disciplines will deliver the best possible product while maintaining a player-focused design philosophy.

From the job offers :
The ideal candidate will be someone who can collaboratively plan and create fun, visceral, and epic combat including the main character, AI characters, and gameplay objects across varied encounter types.

Looks like Obsidian invested in departments where they was struggling, Combat design & Cinematic design, animations etc...

Chris Parker's project must be massive, I hope they will invest in good dungeons designer and more Open world level designer.

Last edited:

Flou

Arbiter
Looks like Obsidian invested in departments where they was struggling, Combat design & Cinematic design, animations etc...

In addition to those departments, they've also focused heavily on audio department since the purchase. But then again, if they are working on 4 different games at the same time, they need the manpower.

Hopefully someone forces Feargus to play Gears Tactics. Gears of War series itself is very consoly shooter with shit controls, but this spin-off series of the IP is solid. Pretty graphics, gore and cinematics with turn-based combat. Now if only Feargus would allow Josh or someone else to finally create a turn based combat game in Pillars universe (or some other IP).
Hell, they could even get help with tweaking UE from Coalition since they've already done the work.

Ging_Sama

Novice

In addition to those departments, they've also focused heavily on audio department since the purchase. But then again, if they are working on 4 different games at the same time, they need the manpower.

Hopefully someone forces Feargus to play Gears Tactics. Gears of War series itself is very consoly shooter with shit controls, but this spin-off series of the IP is solid. Pretty graphics, gore and cinematics with turn-based combat. Now if only Feargus would allow Josh or someone else to finally create a turn based combat game in Pillars universe (or some other IP).
Hell, they could even get help with tweaking UE from Coalition since they've already done the work.

Yep, I hope they will reform their Core technology Group.

Seeing that they have a lot of projects in dev, it would be more efficient I think for their productions.

Cael

Arcane
This string of gaming companies folding one by one is making me wonder if there is someone going around extorting them? "You will say thizz and gib us moneh or we will blm you!"

Cael

Arcane
This string of gaming companies folding one by one is making me wonder if there is someone going around extorting them? "You will say thizz and gib us moneh or we will blm you!"

Or maybe it's just the right and humane thing to do?
There is nothing right or humane about rioting, looting and murdering any people, black, brown, white, yellow or red.

KVVRR

Learned
Obsidian is just from California, this mentality is not out of the normal there.
Even if they didn't believe it they would still publish it for those brownie points. It's just a tweet and it'll give a good image of the company to the general public while not truly doing anything at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom