Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Flou

Arbiter
This string of gaming companies folding one by one is making me wonder if there is someone going around extorting them? "You will say thizz and gib us moneh or we will blm you!"

Or maybe it's just the right and humane thing to do?
There is nothing right or humane about rioting, looting and murdering any people, black, brown, white, yellow or red.

Yes, naturally everyone in that movement is involved in looting, rioting and murdering. Dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck no matter what color they are, they aren't part of any movement other than creating as much chaos as they can and trying to profit from the general mayhem and that's not BLM.

Flou

Arbiter
This string of gaming companies folding one by one is making me wonder if there is someone going around extorting them? "You will say thizz and gib us moneh or we will blm you!"
Obsidian is just from California, this mentality is not out of the normal there.
Even if they didn't believe it they would still publish it for those brownie points. It's just a tweet and it'll give a good image of the company to the general public while not truly doing anything at all.

Exactly. Most companies employ black people. As an employer you might want to show your support towards them. Posting a picture takes literally no time at all and doesn't cost the company anything.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

There is nothing right or humane about rioting, looting and murdering any people, black, brown, white, yellow or red.

Yes, naturally everyone in that movement is involved in looting, rioting and murdering. Dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck no matter what color they are, they aren't part of any movement other than creating as much chaos as they can and trying to profit from the general mayhem and that's not BLM.
BLM has a body count in the double digits and is based on nothing but lies. Blacks aren't disproportionately killed by American police when you control for crime rate, Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown were both thugs who initiated violence against the people who killed them, and Boy George died because he was high on amphetamines and fentanyl when he got busted. Whether the looters and rioters are affiliated with BLM is irrelevant to how terrible a movement it is.

Cael

Arcane

Hey, your lot declared all whites as racist. Why can't we declare your entire race as criminal looters, murderers and thugs?

What is good for the gander, right? #BLM!

KVVRR

Learned
can you people at least agree that no cop should kneel into nobody's neck for 7 minutes straight suffocating them to death

Cael

Arcane
can you people at least agree that no cop should kneel into nobody's neck for 7 minutes straight suffocating them to death
You support blm? You violent murderer! You looting cunt! You degenerate rioter! Fuck you and your mother, bitch!

I am enjoying playing a #blm far too much for my own good...

Flou

Arbiter
Hey, your lot declared all whites as racist. Why can't we declare your entire race as criminal looters, murderers and thugs?

Your lot? Since when have I declared that I'm any part of BLM?

Cael

Arcane

Your lot? Since when have I declared that I'm any part of BLM?
You support them, so you are part of them. That is also a #blm thing. You murdering cunt!

The Real Fanboy
It's just a tweet and it'll give a good image of the company to the general public while not truly doing anything at all.

It’s totally more than just a tweet since they said they’re donating 25,000 to the NAACP to fight for justice!

Oh, no. Microsoft is gonna go bankrupt.
I mean maybe they could donate more since they’re part of Microsoft now but it’s still cool that they’re doing stuff to help.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I mean maybe they could donate more since they’re part of Microsoft now but it’s still cool that they’re doing stuff to help.

Libs think that just throwing more money at things will solve their problems, yet history has shown this is not the case.

Smerlus

Educated
I think the only company that is 100% genuine would be Warhorse Studios. Theyre the only ones in the past that were totally against violence against black people.

By not including them in their game #KCD

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's funny how they stopped making games worth a damn right about the time they've finally got rid of the Bugsidian moniker. Or perhaps it's to be expected, because the bugs were simply a byproduct of being more ambitious?

It was a time when Obsidian's reach exceeded its grasp, a time during which they've created several overambitious, but also memorable games - KotOR II, Mask of the Betrayer, New Vegas (Dead Money!) or even Alpha Protocol. And perhaps it was the reason why it attracted so much talent back then.

They've got the money now, but not the talent or the drive to create; now they merely make or produce. It's funny how in the end they appear to be getting closer and closer to an ending not many would've predicted for them so many years ago - to go out not with a bang but with a whimper.

Cael

Arcane
It's funny how they stopped making games worth a damn right about the time they've finally got rid of the Bugsidian moniker. Or perhaps it's to be expected, because the bugs were simply a byproduct of being more ambitious?

It was a time when Obsidian's reach exceeded its grasp, a time during which they've created several overambitious, but also memorable games - KotOR II, Mask of the Betrayer, New Vegas (Dead Money!) or even Alpha Protocol. And perhaps it was the reason why it attracted so much talent back then.

They've got the money now, but not the talent or the drive to create; now they merely make or produce. It's funny how in the end they appear to be getting closer and closer to an ending not many would've predicted for them so many years ago - to go out not with a bang but with a whimper.
Going from Bugsidian to obshitstain is not an improvement...

Flou

Arbiter

I don't think it is just that. They couldn't pay the same amount of salaries other companies could. Top talent won't come to your company, if you are paying less than the others around you. California is full of decent to great companies, so you can choose the best fit / most lucrative offer. And when your company is constantly running after the next contract and having projects cancelled, it's hard to keep the talent pool you've got. All those layoffs really hurt the company and I don't think they ever really recovered from those.

They have the money now which I hopefully will show in their next AAA game. Both Outer Worlds and Grounded are sort of cheap side projects if you consider the amount of resources they have now. At least they are getting some good hires for a change instead of just bleeding talent left and right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom