Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
With Baldur's Gate out of the way, Wizards may still approach Obsidian about doing an Icewind Dale 3. *fabulouslyoptimistic*

Icewind Dale 3 was Pillars of Eternity.

Unless you're really insistent on the D&D ruleset, in which case it would be Deadfire but with 5e.

RepHope

Savant
I think TOW IP is owned 100% by Obsidian/Microsoft because is published under Private Division label. The game is funded by them but they retain full ownership of the IP.
Yep. The question is does Take-Two have right of first refusal for a sequel? If they do and won’t be bought out, or put too high a price on being bought out, then Cain & Boyarsky will probably switch to Fallout and you’ll never see another TOW game. However given that they apparently are already in pre production for TOW2, I think it’s safe to say there’s a real possibility TOW2 happens.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Yep. The question is does Take-Two have right of first refusal for a sequel? If they do and won’t be bought out, or put too high a price on being bought out, then Cain & Boyarsky will probably switch to Fallout and you’ll never see another TOW game. However given that they apparently are already in pre production for TOW2, I think it’s safe to say there’s a real possibility TOW2 happens.

No, Obsidian/Microsoft retain 100% ownership if the following article is true.

Private Division aids in the development process and works with the developer to create project timelines and milestones, and will help the publish and distribute the games when completed, but does not seek to own the intelectual properties of the developers

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...es-new-publishing-label-private-division.aspx

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah Obs/MS owns this shit IP & they'll part ways with PD after the second DLC.

No one cares about Neverwinter nights or IWD so you can't use them for name recognition. Larian are going to continue with DOS 3 and BG 4.

If I were them I'd abandon DOS and make games with whatever D&D IP they can get their hands on, after BG3 their games will be "by developers of BG3" that'll be enough recognition :P

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Jay Turner, ex-BioWare writer, joined Obsidian as Senior Narrative Designer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jay-turner-05a5735/

Senior Narrative Designer

Company Name Obsidian Entertainment (Full-time)
Dates Employed Oct 2020 – Present
Employment Duration 1 mo
Location Irvine, California, United States

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,179406/

He also worked on Sword Coast Legends.

He worked on the CLASSIC Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. +M ... and i guess in Dragon Age Origins writting Ogrhen mainly , some sidequests and a Mass Effect 2 , 3 (Kasumi and Zaaed) , but nothing as big as Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Rude. Oghren is top bro (just like Sten, who people also tend to dislike for some reason on the 'dex).
Sten's fine, but Oghren has literally no personality (besides drinking jokes), which automatically makes the rest of the companions better. I know you have a dwarf fetish but c'mon.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Oghren rude beer drinking jokes and had "no personality" is still better than the entire The Outer Worlds companions.

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
Rude. Oghren is top bro (just like Sten, who people also tend to dislike for some reason on the 'dex).
Sten's fine, but Oghren has literally no personality (besides drinking jokes), which automatically makes the rest of the companions better. I know you have a dwarf fetish but c'mon.
I just admire the proletarian culture of the dwarves. :M And he does have a personality, being hurt and not knowing how to deal with the whole Branka matter, as well as his relationship with that old flame near Lake Calenhad.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Jay Turner, ex-BioWare writer, joined Obsidian as Senior Narrative Designer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jay-turner-05a5735/

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,179406/

He also worked on Sword Coast Legends.

Developers leaving BioWare seem to go on to nothing careers - Gaider, Laidlaw, Oster

If some did succeed somewhere, let me know, happy to correct my post

It is like Blizzard employees stepping out of their shelter and going to another company and thinking they will shine brightly because of their genius elsewhere - until the reality hits

Flou

Arbiter
Incline! At least he left BioWare when things started to go completely shit at the company.

Cael

Arcane
Sten is superbly understated. Well done as a character.

Oghren is a frat boy who never grew up.

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Incline! At least he left BioWare when things started to go completely shit at the company.

Let us see how long he lasts at Obsidian when it does not work like BioWare which is not a bad thing

At least no EA

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected

Idk man, The Current Obsidian isn't much better than Current Bioware.

Both are the bitch of they respective master (Microsoft and EA).

Last edited:

Gordian Nutt

Educated
Idk know man, The Current Obsidian isn't much better than Current Bioware.

Both are the bitch of they respective master (Microsoft and EA).

Both Obsidian and Bioware are bad in different ways but Current Bioware feels worse

Patrick Weekes alone is terrible and his writing is terrible

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom