Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Poseidon00

Arcane
I don't understand the reasoning behind hiring someone who never played a single RPG into an RPG company. Probably some high-IQ trick I'm not aware of.
What gives you the impression he hasn't played RPGs before? He just hasn't worked on any until now.

This is Avowed's fourth narrative lead (after Bobby Null, Lucien Soulban, and Kate Dollarhyde). The well's tapped out.

Lord Almighty. What is going on over there that they are bleeding highly important roles day in and day out?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lord Almighty. What is going on over there that they are bleeding highly important roles day in and day out?
Avowed development appears to be a dumpsterfire of former-owner meddling (though Chris Parker was kicked off the project so he probably hasn't been a problem since late 2020/early 2021). No such stories about Grounded, Pentiment, and Outer Worlds 2 which seem to be going as well as they can (unless something comes out that suggests otherwise).

Flou

Arbiter
Even the project names are bullshit. We already know that Pentiment is Missouri. Mississippi and/or Illinois were scrapped years ago.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So... this will be the Skyrim killer, like Outer Worlds was the supposed Fallout killer? :M
Both these studios work for the same parent company now. This is "something to tide you over while you wait for the next Elder Scrolls."

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
So... this will be the Skyrim killer, like Outer Worlds was the supposed Fallout killer? :M
Both these studios work for the same parent company now. This is "something to tide you over while you wait for the next Elder Scrolls."
Or let's be fabulously optimistic, compete with the Elder Scrolls and build a new billion dollars Elder Scrolls-like Franchise, it's probably the goal with Avowed. It's not like Skyrim was made by a very huge team anyway.

Black

Arcane
"[...] It's weird [...] Even now, after 41 years, I have people second-guessing everything I do".
Well
capsule_616x353.jpg

Don Peste

Arcane
"[...] It's weird [...] Even now, after 41 years, I have people second-guessing everything I do".
Well
capsule_616x353.jpg
I understand it would mean people from Obsidian, and Obsidian developed that game, so...

Raph says Arkane got the deal for Dark Messiah instead of Troika (!). Did we know that?
BTW Tim still has the design document. He remarks he keeps everything. Also a demo for a LOTR game??

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/fallout-new-ve...anchise-new-locations-new-orleans-california/

“I love Fallout, I love the setting, I could see myself working on it again but you know, we’ll see where the future takes me.”

“In the past people have talked about New Orleans. I do think California or the Midwest would also be very interesting. Obviously, I have to be passionate about it as a director but also that the team is really excited about and also that works within the larger idea of the IP. [...] When it’s kind of larger IP or franchise, it has to work within a larger vision of “What is Fallout?” […] I think there's a lot of cool places in the US. A lot of people have talked about Fallout in other parts of the world. I think those are interesting as well.”

“Pentiment won’t be for everyone. It’s bookish, sometimes a bit dry, and demands you take its questions about the nature of religion, art, and other heady subjects seriously if you want to get the most out of its narrative. If that sounds like your sort of thing, you can look forward to a rich, well-researched world you'll truly feel a part of and a fantastic story that serves up numerous memorable, moving twists and turns. Pentiment will leave an indelible mark on you if you just give it a chance.”

Random reminder that FalloutNV was the last great CRPG of our times.

BlackheartXIII

Educated
"[...] It's weird [...] Even now, after 41 years, I have people second-guessing everything I do"
This Tim Cain's quote was related to the question (22:53): "What is the thing you (Cain) miss the most from the old days?".
His answer was alarming: " I suppose I miss being able to make a game without so much advanced planning and of constant oversight. "It weird and I hope I don't depress anyone who want to get in the game industry, but even now, after 41 years, I have people second-guessing everything I do, "are you sure you want to put that in?", "are you sure that make sense for this setting", "are you sure it's a good feature to put that in?, and I'm like, we can talk about that again, and it's weird because some of the thing people have told me are just so strange, I had somebody tell me that our factories in outer world shouldn't have smoke stacks on them, because smoke stacks are not sci-fi, and I was like, have you seen the beginning of Blade Runner movie?, have you seen city of lost children?."

There is an indication of self scrutiny and censorship that deriaves from key creative postions and from lower postion creative employees in Obsidian and probably in other studios. This kind of behavior has a destructive outcome on the final product, I think it's one's of the driving forces of decline that we witnessing in entertainment in general across the 10's.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom