Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
He reveals that PoE's final budget was ~$5 million. He also seems to imply that Paradox are dragging their feet on providing sales figure and therefore, royalty payments. :M

Which minute?
around 3:30

edit: it was a lighthearted comment, I wouldn't read much into it regarding the relationship.

Athelas

Arcane
Does that mean they outsource so much art that they need a manager for it?

Duraframe300

Arcane
I am sure that you have heard this question several times already, but I haven’t found the answer on it so – do you plan to continue Let’s Play Arcanum series?

Yep, absolutely. Got the equipment, the rig, and a lot of great advice on next steps, so going to resume. I don’t have a definite date yet, but yes, it's on the radar.

Latro

Arcane
Avellone wanting to work on the The Thing...yeah that would have actually been really cool. Surprised we haven't seen a remake of that game (or revival of its mechanics) yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Arcanum LP is going to be one of those things Avellone swears he's going to finish but never actually does, like the Wasteland 2 novel, the Eternity novella, the Tides of Numenera comic (okay this will probably get finished since it can be completed before his attention wanders yet again)...

Zeronet

Learned
I'm surprised the final budget was so similiar to Wasteland 2's, which was apparently double or nearabouts the 2.9 million they got in kickstarter (minus fees etc).

Playing WL2 i really got the impression that they ran out of money and had to cut and halfass a significant amount of stuff (like the 'ranger base') but regardless of whether you enjoy PoE, i think its hard to argue it wasn't a complete and polished experience. Either WL2 had some issues, i'm being terrible unfair to WL2 or Obsidian can really get bang for their buck.

I'm surprised the final budget was so similiar to Wasteland 2's, which was apparently double or nearabouts the 2.9 million they got in kickstarter (minus fees etc).

Playing WL2 i really got the impression that they ran out of money and had to cut and halfass a significant amount of stuff (like the 'ranger base') but regardless of whether you enjoy PoE, i think its hard to argue it wasn't a complete and polished experience. Either WL2 had some issues, i'm being terrible unfair to WL2 or Obsidian can really get bang for their buck.

I quite liked PoE, but if you're implying that there was no half-assed content then allow me to point you towards the Stronghold system...

Zeronet

Learned

I quite liked PoE, but if you're implying that there was no half-assed content then allow me to point you towards the Stronghold system...

I forgot about the stronghold 'system', still i'm sure WL2 promised a ranger base as well and just didn't deliver. The stronghold system doesnt feel unfinished, it's just rather lame.

Copper

Savant
Sure, if by 'lame' you mean Nigerian prince levels of scam.

Invest money in me - I'll be awesome.

Wait, did you think I'd be like BG2's strongholds and give you some quests beyond an irrelevant dungeon? Sucka

What, you though I'd be more like NWN2's stronghold? Fool ya twice, shame on you.

You thought I might be a questhub / NPC interation hub like KOTR? Lol, grognard.

Okay - invest in me, and you get fuck all - some semi challenging combat encounters. a ueless garisson, and improvements that will be trashed by the first trash fight you're too lazy to fight yourself.

Apexeon

Arcane
It seems Chris has read the PoE threads now...

z1xHKFw.jpg

:cry:

Does he need a bag of cement?

Athelas

Arcane
I can see how someone could think that comment is about PoE if the only things in existence were PoE, MCA and the Codex forums.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hey whatdya know, Domi Sotto almost got her wish

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/607780075463802880

Planescape: Torment had a male character for legitimate story reasons so unless you're @ChrisAvellone, you don't get to use that excuse.
We actually wanted both genders, but we didn't have the resources. :( It was also why none of the CNPCs changed their weapons.

Wonder what kind of romance options female blue zombie would have had. :)

throwaway

Cipher
I think it's a safe bet it was cut pretty damn early. Don't even remember it in the vision document which itself had things which never made it into master.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Further confirmation on the unannounced title:

http://www.igdamontreal.ca/events/the-road-to-eternity/

“The Road to Eternity: From Console to PC to Console to PC to Console to PC to Console to PC”

Feargus Urquhart – CEO, Obsidian Entertainment

He is currently the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment, which has 170 developers focused on a varied group of games including Armored Warfare, Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder: The Adventure Card Game, and a title yet to be announced.

This is today. It doesn't appear that IGDA Montreal stream their talks, but if somebody in the crowd doesn't do it, it might appear here eventually: https://vimeo.com/igdamontreal

Well hello there

EDIT:Oh shit, he mentions the Firedorn saga. I'll watch the whole thing later.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Feargus says they're dealing with a problem with the first part of the PoE expansion pack - "It's not long enough". Heart of Winter syndrome?

It's planned to be 10 hours long, and they originally planned to make 10 areas, which Feargus estimates take half an hour each to play through.

Feargus says they have 4 projects going on at Obsidian (at the time of the talk, May 26th, at least :M )

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom