Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

GMonkey

Scholar
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...r-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__140#entry1211839

So?

Comic books traditionally have very different settings and plots to your average book. Just look at the backstory of any major superhero. I don't like that particular kind of story, but that doesn't mean that a person who wants to read such a story without any artwork to distract their imagination doesn't have a legitimate complaint. They're a market that's not being served by any books. (Or rather, many books, because I'm betting there's at least a couple of books that ape the comic style by now).

The arguments about whether story should follow gameplay or whether gameplay should follow story or whether (ideally) they should serve each other are all peripheral. Whether the devs have the time or resources to implement particular features is also a different argument - one that nobody but the devs can weigh in on with any authority. The big issue with this whole topic is that one group of people are dictating how another group should enjoy their media. Someone who cheats their way through a game to experience the story has just as much right to play that game as someone who presses escape every time a story-related section occurs so that they can get back to the gameplay. And there should be nothing offensive, or threatening, about people asking for a feature that you will not partake in.

What the fucking fuck.

Johannes

Arcane
Why are people so interested in lockpicking becoming a mini-game? The closest thing to good lockpicking I've seen was in Thief and in Bloodlines, as even if you would "succeed" in Bloodlines yous till had to spend time that, in its actiony gameplay, was relevant to a guard walking up on you or some such.

Would people want seduction minigames in which you gently stroke your erect nipples, and shape your index and middle finger into a V and stick your tongue through it? (Oh, how silly of me, the cunnilingus gesture is only if you have at least 50 ranks in seduction, otherwise you're relegated to nipple tweaking.)

It's a fucking skill check, be done with it and move on.
Geneforge games had a good system for picking locks - it was governed by your mechanic skill and amount of tools you had. If a door had a difficulty of, say, 10, and your mechanic skill was 7, you needed to expend 3 tools to open the thing. With zero skill, 10 tools and so on. And when these tools were costly and in short supply (you rather used money to buy better spells), it became quite interesting - is it worth it to pump mechanics to see behind each and every door, or just use tools to open the ones you deem most crucial?

DraQ

Arcane
Btw, if you want to look at the gear you'd want to take on a proper dungeoneering trip - rope, food and water, bandages, a shovel and other tools... A fighter would easily carry more than a wizard even unaccounting for arms and armour. Just consider modern military gear and how you'd be much more on your own on an adventuring trip. Of course you'd drop your pack with the extra shit once a fight is imminent.
Unless it's a ridiculously high magic setting (in which case your mage could just as well walk levitate butt-naked all the time, solving every problem with appropriate spells, and carrying stuff in convenient pocket universe), magic is going to be a resource you don't want to expend willy nilly (how to accomplish this in a cRPG is another topic) except for maybe some basic cantrips (like lighting a fire without any tools). This means that if mage can manage the climb, they will climb instead of levitating, teleporting or phasing through obstacle. In this case mage will generally pack the same adventuring gear as fighter, plus a lot of mage specific stuff.

And he might not afford to drop a good portion of this mage specific stuff in combat, because his combat utility directly depends on it being at hand.

DraQ

Arcane
For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...rmorweapon-look-if-we-want-for-new-euqipment/
:x
DIE. FUCKING DIE ALREADY YOU FUCKING MORONS!

Tale said:
I don't really like this idea. I like other ideas that have the same ends.
1) Crafting. A deep crafting option should let people make gear that looks how they want with the bonuses they want.
2) Horizontal gear progression. Gear does not always go up, gear becomes more specialized or otherwise has downsides in progression. Meaning that if you really like a particular piece of gear, you can just stick with that.

But overall, for the sake of verisimilitude (that word sounds made up, doesn't it?), gear should look like what it is.
This. :salute:

Why not? It's a neat idea can be implemented with a lot of interesting quirks that help de-verticalize progression, conveys immediate information about what is cast and with what power and depending on how the effects are generated might not even be that hard to do.

Meh, what's the point? If it was a single character FPP RPG in the vein of TES it might be worthwhile, but in PE?

Is this still going to be fun the 100th time I do it? No.
Shit, I wished more people would ask themselves this question. Especially devs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Merin - Grey Storyteller, Obsidian Order about 6 hours ago

Course, I've made countless parties using IWD's character creator as well.
I want Icewind Dale 3!!! :)

Creator Obsidian Entertainment about 6 hours ago

@Merin I have a pitch document here that I can show you... Sadly it didn't move past the document. :(

Poke Wizards of the Coast if you want some of that D&D Next action. Ao knows that they could use some positive publicity after the PR disaster that was 4E... teaming with Obsidian could bring you guys some cash and them some level of prestige.
unless you've already been told no, and I'm just being silly.
I'd love to see the pitch. :)

@Merin We have been talking to them and I'm hoping we might see some movement forward in the next three or four months. This wouldn't be for PE, but a future game.

Oh boy a potential return to the Forgotten Realms just what I always wanted

Keshik

Arcane
There's this gem, I suppose I should report it for being rapist-y

If there is a surrender mechanism for beaten foes they could also be used in this manner. A sort of one sided unsentimental romance. A slavery system could be combined with running a prostitution ring. Forced prostitution could be a way to raise money. Perhaps you could eventually open a brothel with the prisoner-prostitutes kept in cages and chained spread-eagled to their bed posts to provide customers with 24 hour service. Not just women, but men could also be used in this way. Even children if they are present in the game. I'm picturing giant bird cages for some reason. Eventually you could open such brothels in every major city accumulating great wealth. Your party members would be acutely aware that they could also end up like that if they cross you or annoy you in any way.

If you've seen the film deadgirl you'll have a good idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about. (Excellent film BTW).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:what: Report it, then invite the poster to the Codex. Assuming he's not here already.

Alex

Arcane
It's a fucking skill check, be done with it and move on.

:salute:

Fuckers who want more "direct control of the actions" should get the fuck out of RPGs.

(Haven't read that thread, just wanted to say the above).

I dunno, I think lock-picking, or at last when it is an important lock, could be turned into some kind of puzzle. Like, in a P&P game I ran last semester, I had this door with two locks linked together, with the link between then being the trigger to a guillotine trap. If you had both keys and moved them correctly, the door would open, but if you tried, for example, to simply cast "knock", the trap would trigger without opening the door (because both locks would be moved at the same time). If the party had wanted, they could have picked the door open without the keys, but they would need to understand how the locks worked (which I thought was a nice puzzle in itself). I never got to test this, as they had gotten both keys before getting there, and that game ended up getting shelved shortly after, but I still think this was a good idea.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think there won't be lockpicking minigames, or minigames at all. I'm almost certain about that. Wouldn't fit to PE's promise being a throwback to the old IE games.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Alex: Well, sure, puzzles are fine. What I'm talking about is replacing skills with minigames. If you have several locks (besides typical locks which you unlock with the lockpick skill) during the game that each has a different puzzle that's great. Just don't have the same retarded minigame for each and every lock.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
People who want Obsidian to make minigames appearently have never seen this shit in Alpha Protocol. Or they're fucking retarded masochistic fags subhuman bedouins.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ur-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__60#entry1210644

Josh Sawyer said:
Inertia, on 26 September 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:
I love the ideas
snapback.png
of all the expert modes and hope to play through them all myself. But the idea of the opposite a "story mode" scares me because doesn't this lead to game design where no gameplay could be present in the story and vice versa?
To be clear: we're making a game in which story, setting (i.e. exploration of the setting), and tactical combat are emphasized in more-or-less equal measure. The options we're talking about are present so you can tune your particular flavor of gameplay elements, but we're not making a game for people who inherently dislike these gameplay elements.

E.g. I enjoy some RTS games (especially historical ones). I am not particularly good at them. I really like the gameplay, but I have never been able to reach the level of being even moderately skilled at any of them. I like it when devs give me more forgiving gameplay options so my low-APM brain can complete the scenarios in a way that is still enjoyable and challenging for my skill level. I wouldn't understand the point in giving me options to skip or avoid the scenarios; I'm playing an RTS because I actually enjoy the mechanics.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

@Merin I have a pitch document here that I can show you... Sadly it didn't move past the document. :(

Poke Wizards of the Coast if you want some of that D&D Next action. Ao knows that they could use some positive publicity after the PR disaster that was 4E... teaming with Obsidian could bring you guys some cash and them some level of prestige.

@Merin We have been talking to them and I'm hoping we might see some movement forward in the next three or four months. This wouldn't be for PE, but a future game.

It does not have to be the FR setting though.

Johannes

Arcane
There's this gem, I suppose I should report it for being rapist-y

If there is a surrender mechanism for beaten foes they could also be used in this manner. A sort of one sided unsentimental romance. A slavery system could be combined with running a prostitution ring. Forced prostitution could be a way to raise money. Perhaps you could eventually open a brothel with the prisoner-prostitutes kept in cages and chained spread-eagled to their bed posts to provide customers with 24 hour service. Not just women, but men could also be used in this way. Even children if they are present in the game. I'm picturing giant bird cages for some reason. Eventually you could open such brothels in every major city accumulating great wealth. Your party members would be acutely aware that they could also end up like that if they cross you or annoy you in any way.

If you've seen the film deadgirl you'll have a good idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about. (Excellent film BTW).
Good idea. Realistic too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It does not have to be the FR setting though.
And even if it is, who cares if it is a good RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom