Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's the epitome of fail, because non- and semi-systemic checks (those that do rely on gamewide system, but are pretty much handplaced - for example locked doors and chests in a game without bashing) are typically what gates content, which is the thing players value the most.

Like I said, "within reason". They're not going to ignore a skill or stat in dialogue completely, because, well, why would you do that? It's more interesting and fun to give them all a chance to shine.

But, the game doesn't rely on them being "balanced".

DraQ

Arcane
Does anyone else find it ironic that I, of all people, have to explain abstraction to Lhynn ?
:roll:

That's the epitome of fail, because non- and semi-systemic checks (those that do rely on gamewide system, but are pretty much handplaced - for example locked doors and chests in a game without bashing) are typically what gates content, which is the thing players value the most.

Like I said, "within reason". They're not going to ignore a skill or stat in dialogue completely, because, well, why would you do that? It's more interesting and fun to give them all a chance to shine.

But, the game doesn't rely on them being "balanced".
Some may be easier to write for, and that may easily skew the balance.
And then it doesn't matter if attribute A does all the awesome things in combat if it's stuck with unlocking a small, semi-shitty dialogue tree or even questline in some corner of the game, while the game is peppered with awesome stuff resulting from the others.

Making as much stat use happen through generic mechanics as possible, to allow reuse or even implicit checks in all sorts of situations is a remedy, but by no means a surefire one.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
So, from what I've gathered, the biggest problem is that Sawyer doesn't want to rename the traditional attributes like Str and Int while at the same time wanting them to fulfill an entirely different (and counterintuitive) role. My only question is, Why?? Just rename them, for fuck's sake.

Maybe because he thinks fans of IE games expect to see traditional attributes or they'll feel wronged somehow? But then again people who expect those will probably find it hard to stomach intelligence governing melee damage and strength having no effect on it anyway. It also didn't stop him from merging charisma and wisdom but I guess he thinks most people saw CHA as a dump stat anyway so they won't care and resolve is similar enough to wisdom.

Another possibility is that they already have planed a lot of INT dialogue checks (in which unlike in combat, it functions same as it traditionally did) so renaming the stat could cause some trouble there.

For example, if Intellect governs both damage and healing, call it "Healage" and be done with it. :cool: Or just number the attributes since you're going for an abstracted rather than a simulated system anyway. "Attribute #3 - Governs Damage and Healing". (Just imagine all the butthurt.)

Personally, I'd prefer if he would just rename that stat as "Power", the reasoning behind it increasing both melee and magic damage can be that it represents the power of one's soul (which is a major game theme anyway) or something similar.

BGMD

Learned
I'm thinking something, how it would be interesting twist that a wizard actually requires some higher STR (think this instead of this, perhaps Fitness would be more fitting) for performing some really exhausting spells, given that he needs to channel that "soul magicks".

I'm not following that closely what Sawyer writes on god knows how many boards he's on, but I'm wondering is this something he would do?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Also, I don't think INT should govern ranged damage, except possibly for spells, will it?
no, that would be strength. :troll:
:smug:
BTW: Did anyone ever seen anyone drawing a bow using their dexterity?
I always cringe when I see DEX as decisive attribute for use of ranged weaponry and ranged damage.
Bowmen needed to be fucking strong people.

It also didn't stop him from merging charisma and wisdom but I guess he thinks most people saw CHA as a dump stat anyway so they won't care and resolve is similar enough to wisdom.
I've also found wisdom to be the odd one, TBH.
Hardly something you'd consider an actual primary attribute and definitely not something you'd picture having its mechanical role.

DnD gonna :hearnoevil:.

Personally, I'd prefer if he would just rename that stat as "Power", the reasoning behind it increasing both melee and magic damage can be that it represents the power of one's soul (which is a major game theme anyway) or something similar.
I fully expect this major theme to turn out horribly shitty, BTW.

Does anyone else find it ironic that I, of all people, have to explain abstraction to Lhynn ?
:roll:

Who are you
I'm serious business, obviously.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I honestly thought that Sawyer was going to try to implement as many Darklands concepts as he could like attributes beign separate of stats, no leveling system (skills gains would decide which weapons or spells you could use for example) but seems to me that he is instead trying to reinvent the wheel with some retarded "let's rename strength into powah"
The game looks good and honestly it could be a return to the IE games of old but chnaging things for the sake of change is never a good design decision; change things that don't work or could work better

Murk

Arcane
Heh, Grunker melt down. Over someone being okay with THAC0. Jesus.

I remember when this was just another snake cult...

I was gonna say some shit about changing Intellect to Acumen or something but then I realized I don't even know what the stats are and that I don't care anyway.

I'm looking forward to having a moderately decent time in PoE. Possibly even an enjoyable time.

Lhynn

Arcane
We should start bring up thac0 more often into this threads. just to get him used to the very idea of it existing and people being ok with that.

Also, inb4 Gurps did it better.

Lancehead

Liturgist
I fully expect this major theme to turn out horribly shitty, BTW.
Maybe, but the Spirit Eater mechanic in Mask of the Betrayer was well done because of the way it tied into narrative. I think they can get these souls right if they have their own set of mechanics (like Spirit Eater) instead of as an explanation for everything, contrived or not.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
J.E. Sawyer
In D&D, a lot of classes already have a single stat that governs damage. For fighters, it's Strength. You can easily play a Strength-damage fighter from level 1 on. The issue, IMO, is not that there's a single stat that governs damage for any given class (or all classes), but that there are many stats that do not provide an appealing incentive to take instead of that damage stat.

uaciaut

Augur
J.E. Sawyer
In D&D, a lot of classes already have a single stat that governs damage. For fighters, it's Strength. You can easily play a Strength-damage fighter from level 1 on. The issue, IMO, is not that there's a single stat that governs damage for any given class (or all classes), but that there are many stats that do not provide an appealing incentive to take instead of that damage stat.

How does making a single stat affect ALL the damage fix this problem?

Goegoff

Educated
J.E. Sawyer

How does making a single stat affect ALL the damage fix this problem?

On it's own it doesn't. You also have to "provide an appealing incentive to take [other stats]", as You've quoted.
Uniforming the attributes across the classes, as Sawyer does, just simplifies the design.

DraQ

Arcane
I always find it interesting when people try and bring up GNS in the context of a CRPG. GNS is a theory attempting to explain table top RPG player motivations. Table top RPGs are extremely different than CRPGs. Anyone who plays both should understand this. Tabletop Role Playing is primarily a social activity and GNS has to do with trying to model what players want out of that social activity. CRPGs are a primarily solitary activity with radically different means of interacting(A video screen displaying sound and video with some sort of controller for the player to give inputs into) with a player than P&P RPGs.

Yeah, so?

You can still divide players by their GNS tendencies, because they still reflect in their cRPG priorities like they do in PnP RPG ones.

in cRPGs narrativists prime interest is story. They want good and engaging story, branching or not, and will happily gobble up restrictions and even some contrivances if they think it improves the story.
At best they will be PS:T (in particular) or Witcher fans.
At worst they will be biowhores excusing away shitty inconsistencies and derp because they story needs them.

Gamists are primarily interested in game as, well, game. Winning and how it plays while holding story and verisimilitude in disregard.
At best they will like good crawlers and similar games (like Wizardry 8).
At worst they will either experience severe butthurt because someone disabled kill XP removing their favourite exploit of earning XP for de facto the same thing several times over (or killing questgiver after turning in quest for exta XP) or barred them from from pickpocketing, being given then looting the exact same unique sword to equip their dream party with three copies of it (that's the degenerate munchkin variety that also manifests in PnPs), or will be hopeless scrubs butchering internal consistency, verisimilitude and fun for the sake of balance (slightly less lowbrow than munchkins but still a waste of meat).

Simulationists care little for preestablished stories and care little for balance on its own. All they want is stuff making sense and mechanics reflecting the setting well.
Stuff that prevents them from doing stuff they just came up with that should be possible in the setting throws them into full rage mode, so does breaking consistency or otherwise fudging stuff.
At best they will like stuff like Fallouts (at least original dilogy) and TES2-3.
At worst... fuck, I don't know.
MESOLARPSing bears some similarities to simulationism going degenerate, but unlike simulationism it completely disregards mechanics actually in place, instead , so I'm not sure if it's an example.

When CRPGs are largely social activities then they are usually MMOs. When talking about MMOs the more relevant and useful way to classify player motivation is the Way Bartle broke it down; killer, achiever, socializer, and explorer.
Which has fuck-all relevancy, since we're not discussing MMOs and despite being social they are usually far more different from PnPs than cRPGs are because it's impossible to maintain chosen GNS convention within them due to having no impact on who you meet in game.

It is fine to talk about simulationism in video games but you aren't talking about the S in GNS when you are. You'll notice it's always simulationists that want to bring up GNS when talking about CRPGs. This is because GNS elevates simulationism to an equally valid goal compared to the others. Table top and Video Games are radically different experiences. Just because they share some similar terms and some common influences does not mean that a theory meant to explain tabletop player motivations is accurate or useful when explaining Video Game player motivations.

I have nothing against simulationism and do enjoy games that are complex and realistic, but the way that simulationism interacts with the rest of the game systems in a video game is not the same way that it interacts with narrativism and gamism in tabletop RPGs. If you emphasize simulationism in a video game to the detriment of both gameplay and narrative you are not going to produce a good game. At best you may produce a game that appeals to a extremely niche group of autists. Any simulationism in Video Games needs to support the gameplay and if possible the narrative as well.

For what it's worth I would consider myself a Simulationist with Narrativist leanings if I were to be classified according to GNS regarding how I play tabletop RPGs. But to repeat myself in order to add emphasis, P&P RPGs and CRPGs are entirely different animals.
And that's just plain bullshit.

If anything simulationism, in videogames at the very least, is *the* king.

Unlike live GM, computer will not adapt its storytelling to players actions beyond what's specifically scripted, which effectively reduces any narrativist videogame to, at best CYOA, at worst rollercoaster with some tacked on mechanics for progressing.
That's not a good use of interactive medium.

Unlike PnP, cRPGs pit you against limited and exploitable AI and often give you unfair advantage in form of savescumming. It's very hard to make them meaningful in the gamist sense and the fact you no longer compete with another person doesn't help either.

However, unlike a bunch of dice, paper and slow meatbags, computers can grind a lot of numbers really fast and as we have learned you can technically simulate pretty much everything but grinding sufficient amount of numbers.
Therefore, while computers won't provide much in the way of flexibility if you feed them conventional scripted narrative, piling up sufficient amount of interlocking mechanics and giving it and player enough room can create fresh and unexpected situations - not just to the player but even devs themselves.
With sane system design and programming plus a bit of luck those situations won't even be bugs.

I think they can get these souls right if they have their own set of mechanics (like Spirit Eater) instead of as an explanation for everything, contrived or not.
That's the problem here - if souls are to be a blanket assplanation for much of the stuff in the setting, then it's going to suck.

I don't think I've ever seen a blanket explanation not go hilariously wrong.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, here are my suggestions:

RAARGH!—damage stat
Ooga Booga—dexterity/speed stat
Bonk Tok—constitution stat
RRRRUH?—perception/awareness stat
Grok Thunk—intelligence stat
Unga Bunga—charisma stat

Tytus

Arcane
Well, here are my suggestions:

RAARGH!—damage stat
Ooga Booga—dexterity/speed stat
Bonk Tok—constitution stat
RRRRUH?—perception/awareness stat
Grok Thunk—intelligence stat
Unga Bunga—charisma stat

No Gorka Morka? I'm disappoint.

hiver

this thread is going places.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom