Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

DraQ

Arcane
ashtonw asked: Would you ever, or have you already, include trans characters in any of your games?
I haven’t developed any trans* characters in the past but if they made sense in a setting and story, sure.
:rage:
What do you have against characters making sense in the story and setting?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Isn't Sawyer forgetting somebody?

Tabitha.jpg

Apexeon

Arcane
The latest Update is the games name will be changed to "Pillars of eternal decline" to honour the Codex.

I want them to show me one level of the mega dungeon :). Let it out of the bag.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
He sure became more active on the forums:

Strengths and flaws?

I like virtue/flaw systems, especially in classless systems. I could see them working in PoE, but they would be out of scope for this game. Sorry.

Will mages be able to use any weapon and wear any armor?
Correct. Any class can use any gear, though classes often have bonuses with specific types of weapons (e.g. wizards gain bonuses with wands, rods, and sceptres via their Blast passive AoE ability).
All actions (other than movement) slow down, so you will cast fewer spells over the course of a battle or they will go off later than they would normally.

...one of MCA's companion-writing pillars is that they have to stroke the player's ego.
It is not one of my requirements and I discourage it unless it really makes sense for the character and situation.
PoE's companions are going to have similar styles of transformation as F:NV's companions. When I designed the roster of F:NV's companions, each character had a central conflict that was defined for them. These transformations were not dramatic, but represented shifts in the characters' attitudes and goals. For Boone, it was dealing with his wife's death and Bitter Springs. There's no point at which Eric had Boone say, "You know what? I actually think the Legion is super cool now." For Raul, it was dealing with his past as a gunslinger, his failure to protect Rafaela and Claudia, and his concerns about being too old to be playing cowboy. Raul is fairly apolitical, and Travis' writing reflects that.
Like F:NV's companions, PoE's companions are all adults who have enough life experience under their belts that they aren't going to radically change their interests and concerns within their span of time with the PC. That said, the PC can significantly shape how the companions work through their conflicts, just as they did with all of the companions in F:NV.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think that's what MCA meant. He meant the companions need to react to the things the player is doing. Oh that was so nice how you saved that child. You're such a meanie why did you steal that gold bar from the old couple. etc.

Monad

Learned
Oh ok, I kind of thought the whole "stroking the player's ego" thing was dumb.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer's desktop as of yesterday:
8wPhVkO.jpg

Things of interest: 091913 public playtest--define "public"? That's too early for the game journalist thing, possibly a demonstration for the team at Obsidian.
Pallegina is a female Vailian name. Could that be the feather woman??????????

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Could you ask Josh what's up with the whole "pretending to be a woman on an Internet forum" thing? I never really got it.

Neato to see something GameBanshee-related. Wonder if it's our super-awesome tavern thingy.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Holy shit. Chris just praised the Fallout 3 opening and said its open-world was much superior to Fallout 1+2.

:rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom