Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Dexter

Arcane
Either they've changed it or that has been shopped since the image displayed on the KS page is different. Not a whole lot different, but still different.
It's because the PC police is apparently out in force on this one and want every hint of sex differences eliminated: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60742-pa-report-about-eternity-and-brennecke-new-concept-art/

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I actually like the new version of the Cadegund more than the one in the PA. "Boobplates" imo tends to look more and less ridiculous, and the new one is more symmetrical.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Brennecke told the Penny Arcade Report there isn’t even a story yet, just an abstract collection of topics the team would like to discuss and lore into which they’d like to dig. Brennecke said that at its core, Project Eternity is about the soul and the state of life vs. the state of death.
So now we know why they don't reveal details of the story :)

“You shouldn’t go up levels any slower by using your non-combat skills rather than your combat skills. We plan to reward you for your accomplishments, not for your body count.”
Bloodlines-like XP system confirmed?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Brennecke told the Penny Arcade Report there isn’t even a story yet, just an abstract collection of topics the team would like to discuss and lore into which they’d like to dig. Brennecke said that at its core, Project Eternity is about the soul and the state of life vs. the state of death.
So now we know why they don't reveal details of the story :)
Excellent! They should put this in an update, on KS, let's see how people take it when they find out that there REALLY is no plan, just an amalgamation of [vague] ideas.:bravo:

Is anyone willing to take bets on whether they will meet their self-imposed 18 months deadline?:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
skuphundaku The story isn't the only thing in a game's "plan". Probably not even the most important thing. Nobody has said they already have the entire game's story planned out, just the basics of the mechanics and the setting. I'm pretty sure that's just how it works in the game industry.

Besides, why would we want the story to be spoiled?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I'd up my pledge, but.." http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60756-id-up-my-pledge-but-opinions/

Would you donate more if you knew more about the game?
Yes, in a heartbeat!
Yes but only if they announce romance options.
Yes but only if they announce multi-player/mods.
Yes but only if they announce romance & multi/mods.
No, I already like what's already in it and this is as much as I'm pledging.
No and if they announce romance options I'm canceling my pledge.
Yes but only if.. (specify in the post)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
skuphundaku The story isn't the only thing in a game's "plan". Probably not even the most important thing. Nobody has said they already have the entire game's story planned out, just the basics of the mechanics and the setting. I'm pretty sure that's just how it works in the game industry.

Indeed, the story is not the most important bit, and it can change multiple time during production process, but...

They should have at least something. I don't know - outline of the background of the setting for example (). 2-3 short stories set in the setting. Something. So that they have it ready to implement.

Remember, we are talking about guys who complained that 13 month production process for Kotor2 was not enough to finish the game - with all the Aurora Engine assets, gameplay and pre-established setting at their disposal.

And now they have to do much, much more than in Kotor2 - gameplay design, skill design, balancing combat vs. other means of solving conflict situations, graphical and audial assetts, humongous amount of programming. That's only start of the list. And they claim they can manage it in 18 months. But they don't even have even such cheap-to-do, malleable piece like setting information ready. How can anything go wrong here?

Data4

Arcane
"I'd up my pledge, but.." http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60756-id-up-my-pledge-but-opinions/

Would you donate more if you knew more about the game?
Yes, in a heartbeat!
Yes but only if they announce romance options.
Yes but only if they announce multi-player/mods.
Yes but only if they announce romance & multi/mods.
No, I already like what's already in it and this is as much as I'm pledging.
No and if they announce romance options I'm canceling my pledge.
Yes but only if.. (specify in the post)

Representing the troll contingency. :salute:

My pick is 80% accurate.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Mrowak They won't do it in 18 months. They've already said in interviews that April 2014 is just an "estimation".

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I don't want to know the story (although I'm not one of the "NO SPOILERS!!!!111" extremists). It would make me sleep better knowing that they DO have at least a skeleton of a story instead of a mish-mash of ideas without any structure, though.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Mrowak They won't do it in 18 months. They've already said in interviews that April 2014 is just an "estimation".

So something they pulled out of their arse (again, no plan whatsoever). Sorry but by estimation I understand 18 months +/- 3 months. Not 24, 30 or 36.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

So something they pulled out of their arse (again, no plan whatsoever). Sorry but by estimation I understand 18 months +/- 3 months. Not 24, 30 or 36.

I don't know - 3 months is nothing to sneeze at for a game that's already near completion. You can do a lot in that amount of time.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Neither W2 or DF-adventure had a concrete design document. Just a bereal idea. And what stuff they have (or make along the way) are offered bit by bit with the stretch goal thing. It seems that's the way KS works for famous developers.

On one hand I would certainly prefer to see a nice complete vision statement ( PST :love: ) beforehand. On the other hand, when these developers see that they do have a strong loyal following maybe they'll form that vague game idea into something even better. They all have something to prove here, both to fans and publishers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
+1 for the Cadegund edit. Sawyer's yelling wins another victory. :love:

"Yeah, because that's really the big issue of modern RPgs compared to oldskool rpgs. The above is such a stupid comment reeking of pathetness. Oldskool rpgs were all about battling the ancient evil or plain evil and no black and hwite. More mordern RPgs aren't nearly as black and white as old skool games ala GB games, Ultimas, m&m, ETC., ETC"

Volourn you're talking about the guy who said "No." when you went on about how the Master was a Hitler wannabe.

skuphundaku

Patron
BRO, are you really trying to make me lose all confidence in this enterprise of theirs?:)
Do you really believe Wasteland 2 is going to come out 12 months from now? Why would PE be any different.
I estimate the odds of W2 coming out in roughly 12 months as being much greater than PE coming out in roughly 18. You can quote me for truth on this and we'll see in a couple of years what happens.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The people in that Easy thread are so unbelievably dense. Jarpie said it best when he wrote that they are like they Borg: they want every game to become the same uniform mishmash appealing to my mom and the "hardcore gamer" (excuse me while I throw up) alike, as if that balancing act was anything but retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom