Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Gozma

Arcane
Get the guy Mount and Blade menu guy, he is incapable of making generic fantashit and he is Mongolian and therefore better than lesser men

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I actually like the new version of the Cadegund more than the one in the PA. "Boobplates" imo tends to look more and less ridiculous, and the new one is more symmetrical.
I wouldn't even give a fuck if they made her an effing golem or started off with that art, you won't even be able to see it in isometric perspective and I guess this way it even saves the modelers/graphics artists money/time since they only have to do each armor model once. What pisses me off and makes me rage is that there are pages upon pages of indignant PC fury to change it because of great social justice or whatever and most are likely the same people asking for ingrained feminist ideals, equality among all, LGBT representation and romances because in the last 2-3 years it has become this new "in thing" in gaming and a lot of people seem to have turned retardo over it.

All the while none of them would likely have a problem with muscle or cock armor:

True, quite a many of them seemed to be "Boobplates are sexist!" but my dislike for those are aesthetic. At least those "We want LGBT romances!"-folk have apparently left the forum...for now.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I just hate people, artists included, who don't respect the beauty of art behind creating a comfortable and protective piece of equipment, and go for faggy WoW shit.

These people are just so stupid, it's difficult to troll them because they either don't understand the points you're making or they can't pay attention long enough to remember them. They just post the same point over and over, no matter how you insult them. I'd think I was being trolled but there's no way they're smart enough for that.

:lol:

Reminds me of the villain computer in Portal 2 surviving a logic bomb because he's too retarded to notice the contradiction, and this forces you to find another way to beat him.

DraQ

Arcane
looks like something bethesda people would write tbh

"Why save a world you know nothing about and have absolutely no attachment to? Fuck that. We know what you really want to do – you want to run rampant in a world where you are a god. You want the power to change your environment, slaughter all who stand against you, and be a hero worshipped by the masses – everything you don‟t get pushing paper or suffering through school 40 hours a week."

huh...
No, it sounds like something Bethesda would *do*. What Bethesda would *write*is , in turn, closer to what would be *done* by Obsidian.
:hearnoevil:
What a wonderpful world.

Tiling is for bathrooms, not games
:salute:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Next step: :flamesaw: FEMA camp for Codexers:flamesaw: . BROS, if we were able to get the inn $5000 tier, instead of an inn, we should have asked for a concentration camp filled with all the :obviously: people of the land, which ended up there as a result of telling the uncomfortable truth to the moron majority. The Codex Inn would have been more of a Hotel Kalifornia.

That kinda puts GMonkey's demands from yesterday that the Codexers keep up the good fight but not hurt the retards' feelings while doing it in context quite well: "Arbeit macht frei"

Kahlis

Cipher
Yeah, because that's really the big issue of modern RPgs compared to oldskool rpgs. The above is such a stupid comment reeking of pathetness. Oldskool rpgs were all about battling the ancient evil or plain evil and no black and hwite. More mordern RPgs aren't nearly as black and white as old skool games ala GB games, Ultimas, m&m, ETC., ETC.
Morality only really becomes a problem if you pride your game as being open-ended and accommodating to a variety of ways to RP various alignments - which virtually every AAA title does these days, because things like "morality" and "choices" make the game sound incredibly deep and intellectual. It's bad enough that you can defuse an atomic bomb in Fallout 3 or go "lol" and detonate it, worse is the lack of alternate ways to solve the quest and the fact I can see almost no conceivable reason that any human being (short of a feral child) should choose to detonate the bomb. And you get rewarded either way. Bethesda's definition of grey morality appears to be "do the rational thing or the unrealistically psychopathic thing, receive reward either way."

Then there's the issue of throwing in additional choices for the mere sake of creating the illusion of a game world that reacts to all sorts of player alignments, when in reality it does no such thing. Like suddenly helping the Enclave at the end of Fallout 3, when you'd have had no incentive up until this point in the game for even considering doing such a thing because throughout the rest of the game they're always presented as one dimensionally evil trash mob encounters with no opportunity to help or interact with them.

In the end it comes down to the format of the game, I think. Morality isn't terribly necessary in a basic dungeon crawling RPG (where attempts to do multiple endings usually just result in one being unanimously regarded as the "best" and there being no reason to settle for any less), and I can't really make up my mind for Project Eternity yet because I don't know how open-ended it's going to be. Fallout 1/2 style with low-level choices in every area? Baldur's Gate 1 with next to no choices? Too soon to say.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

So, what do extremists do to their "target audience"...

tumblr_lhg8cjHdsp1qaf0i4o1_500.gif

Shadenuat

Arcane
I kinda like Polina's art.
I checked that page (actually, even before I made all that noise about armor) and she is sure an experienced artist, even if her art just does't "tick" for me. I respect people who can draw.
However, no matter how experienced or good artists are, they can't have experience in *everything*, so we continue to get armor which just won't work or move in real life, and mail which does't look like mail for some reason. Just a few weeks ago I argued hard with a pretty cool artist about making characters for some game, and I just could't get through his "artistic vision", which was - "real armor is ugly and looks like a barrell, yeah okay I will change armor for a male knight to real one, but I will never draw ugly barrell armor on a female character, thus metal boobs!".

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
http://pixelsordeath.com/the-short/why-i-wont-support-project-eternity

Aka. Fucking hipster. He even begins his arguments with *eyeroll*

1. Argument: Yes, their successes as employees of another company sure have a bearing on how they could do it alone. And making a kickstarter trailer means (Which Avellone said in another video was mostly possible thanks to Monahan's resorources) you have enough capital to make a game. Yeah.

2. Retarded argument. Not even research done. DRM was never really tied to a stretch goal, but negotiations with GOG.

3. Oh, yeah they totally ruining for everybody else. Like Feargus supports all these board games and Avellone giving constant shoutouts to other kickstarters. Also it's not like most kickstarterr backers that come into Kickstarter through such projects don't support smaller projects as well.

Who wants to troll this guy in the comments?

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
looks like something bethesda people would write tbh

"Why save a world you know nothing about and have absolutely no attachment to? Fuck that. We know what you really want to do – you want to run rampant in a world where you are a god. You want the power to change your environment, slaughter all who stand against you, and be a hero worshipped by the masses – everything you don‟t get pushing paper or suffering through school 40 hours a week."

huh...
No, it sounds like something Bethesda would *do*. What Bethesda would *write*is , in turn, closer to what would be *done* by Obsidian.
:hearnoevil:
What a wonderpful world.

Tiling is for bathrooms, not games
:salute:

heh, fair enough

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
http://pixelsordeath.com/the-short/why-i-wont-support-project-eternity

Aka. Fucking hipster. He even begins his arguments with *eyeroll*

1. Argument: Yes, their successes as employees of another company sure have a bearing on how they could do it alone. And making a kickstarter trailer means (Which Avellone said in another video was mostly possible thanks to Monahan's resorources) you have enough capital to make a game. Yeah.

2. Retarded argument. Not even research done. DRM was never really tied to a stretch goal, but negotiations with GOG.

3. Oh, yeah they totally ruining for everybody else. Like Feargus supports all these board games and Avellone giving constant shoutouts to other kickstarters. Also it's not like most kickstarterr backers that come into Kickstarter through such projects don't support smaller projects as well.

Who wants to troll this guy in the comments?

Where does this idiot get the impression that they're apparently rolling around in giant swimming pools of money? Didn't they recently have to lay off people and cancel a project?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom