Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Data4

Arcane
Just an epitaph to this one, though it's locked: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60756-id-up-my-pledge-but-opinions/page__st__40#entry1213930

...the only group more insistent than the pro-romance camp is the small band of anti-romacers (that's not even a word, isn't it ?). Those 4-5 ppl that seem to police every thread that pops up with that theme only to vehemently express their displeasure -often getting the thread locked in the process.

Just doing our duty for the greater good, citizen. :salute:

Black

Arcane
http://pixelsordeath.com/the-short/why-i-wont-support-project-eternity

Aka. Fucking hipster. He even begins his arguments with *eyeroll*

1. Argument: Yes, their successes as employees of another company sure have a bearing on how they could do it alone. And making a kickstarter trailer means (Which Avellone said in another video was mostly possible thanks to Monahan's resorources) you have enough capital to make a game. Yeah.

2. Retarded argument. Not even research done. DRM was never really tied to a stretch goal, but negotiations with GOG.

3. Oh, yeah they totally ruining for everybody else. Like Feargus supports all these board games and Avellone giving constant shoutouts to other kickstarters. Also it's not like most kickstarterr backers that come into Kickstarter through such projects don't support smaller projects as well.

Who wants to troll this guy in the comments?
Where do you find links to such idiots? And why do you find them?
But fine, if you think I'll be any worse than you, think twice!
http://www.examiner.com/article/every-time-a-game-developer-uses-kickstarter-god-kills-a-kitten

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

1. Argument: Yes, their successes as employees of another company sure have a bearing on how they could do it alone. And making a kickstarter trailer means (Which Avellone said in another video was mostly possible thanks to Monahan's resorources) you have enough capital to make a game. Yeah.

2. Retarded argument. Not even research done. DRM was never really tied to a stretch goal, but negotiations with GOG.

3. Oh, yeah they totally ruining for everybody else. Like Feargus supports all these board games and Avellone giving constant shoutouts to other kickstarters. Also it's not like most kickstarterr backers that come into Kickstarter through such projects don't support smaller projects as well.

http://www.examiner.com/article/every-time-a-game-developer-uses-kickstarter-god-kills-a-kitten
There aren't enough facepalms in the world... I can't even...
To me, this seems way beyond fucking retarded territory and getting into libel territory.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Must be some publisher lackey.

Dexter

Arcane
Why did you have to post that, that guy seems too fucking stupid, it would surprise me if he wasn't just trolling for views.

Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for major publishers to realize the insane money making potential of Kickstarter and come along and remind us why we can’t have nice things.
Wat? Is he trying to say that Obsidian is a major publisher or something?

The bubble started really inflating with Double Fine Adventure ... we quickly hit Kickstarter Saturation
Wat, when did this happen?

If you’ve heard of Obsidian before, it’s because they’re responsible for almost all of the smash-hit cRPGs from the 90′s. These guys practically invented the videogame RPG.
Obsidian was around in the 90s? And they did what?

it’s a legitimate question to ask if Obsidian really needs our money. ... I mean just look at this Kickstarter trailer. Look at it, and tell me that a company that can afford that kind of production value on a Kickstarter trailer needs our help to pay for a game.
Wat? That's his argument? Just...

Take a look at that snazzy Project Eternity trailer. Watch all 6 minutes of its highly produced shininess and then tell me what the hell that game actually is. Apart from “a cRPG-style game reminiscent of the Infinity Engine games,” we know almost nothing about it
Again with the trailer, and that's why they spent the last week+ giving Interviews and talking to people.

but the project’s “stretch goals” include things like “a player house” or a “DRM-free option” – things that will get added in only if increasing increments of $200,000 are met.
It does?

There is a huge difference between using extra money to help improve your game and literally holding things over the players’ heads
Making shit costs money, who knew?

They’re ruining it for everyone else.Did you really think for a second that Obsidian wouldn’t meet their Kickstarter goal?
They do what? Also I didn't, they apparently did, or they'd have prepared better to start with.

their efforts take attention away from smaller projects that actually need the publicity and the attention (and the money). They seem to have forgotten, or just don’t care, that Kickstarter is a platform for people to level their playing fields, not just a nifty new digital distribution platform for them to exploit, and in so doing they’re trampling underfoot the very purpose of what Kickstarter is supposed to help represent: shining the spotlight on cool projects that deserve attention even though they don’t have a top-tier gaming pedigree behind them.
Wat, they're bringing more people to KickStarter? http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/blockbuster-effects

I’m not saying that Project Eternity will be a bad game. In fact I’m sure it will be great.
You are?

And it ends with a FacePalm comment system, which I blocked a long time ago...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can't kill them, but I've found that posting a link in their comments to the Codex thread discussing them often really pisses them off. :lol:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Best way to kill them is to ignore them.

No pageviews means no money, and he'll have to survive on his writing talents alone, which means he'll probably starve to death within weeks.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

did my patriotic duty :salute:

Black

Arcane

did my patriotic duty :salute:
You downvoted him?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Half-Life was released '98 and it's still very much playable. Actually I think it's still pretty good looking in it's own way. I would even go so far to say it has aged better than BG or PS:T when it comes to graphics, because it still has endless resolution options and you can even add filters like AA or Anistropic, which in the time of release were unheard of, but still make game look much better today. With BG you are stuck with tiny 800x600 resolution unless you use mods. Can you tell us what resolutions are we using in 10 years and how we ensure PE will still support them?

You definitively can create timeless 3D art. 2D on the other hand might not be as timeless as you make it sound like. EDIT: But, I still want to say that whatever developers choose to do I'm sure I'll be fine with it. They know what they are doing.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59989-do-not-make-the-game-isometric/page__st__100#entry1214444

Troll or just another tasteless idiot hipster? DISCUSS!!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beast Within is still good, in fact it's charming in a sorta insane what the hell were they thinking way. Part 3 on the other hand - the less said about it the better.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I was supposed to post that on the obsidian forums. No idea how I managed to post it here. Too much rage I s'ppose. and while we're at it - the FMV-graphic era is probably the worst chapter in the history of games, even when comparing to modern times.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was supposed to post that on the obsidian forums. No idea how I managed to post it here. Too much rage I s'ppose. and while we're at it - the FMV-graphic era is probably the worst chapter in the history of games, even when comparing to modern times.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if that chapter hadn't done us the small favor of ending.

DraQ

Arcane
Half-Life was released '98 and it's still very much playable. Actually I think it's still pretty good looking in it's own way.
Yes.
I would even go so far to say it has aged better than BG or PS:T when it comes to graphics
No.
because it still has endless resolution options and you can even add filters like AA or Anistropic
Go away.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Half-Life was released '98 and it's still very much playable. Actually I think it's still pretty good looking in it's own way. I would even go so far to say it has aged better than BG or PS:T when it comes to graphics, because it still has endless resolution options and you can even add filters like AA or Anistropic, which in the time of release were unheard of, but still make game look much better today. With BG you are stuck with tiny 800x600 resolution unless you use mods. Can you tell us what resolutions are we using in 10 years and how we ensure PE will still support them?

You definitively can create timeless 3D art. 2D on the other hand might not be as timeless as you make it sound like. EDIT: But, I still want to say that whatever developers choose to do I'm sure I'll be fine with it. They know what they are doing.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59989-do-not-make-the-game-isometric/page__st__100#entry1214444

Troll or just another tasteless idiot hipster? DISCUSS!!
I don't know about hipster, but Half-Life never looked good even when it was first released. While IE games look amazing with high res mods. Which I like how he just sweeps away. Nevermind how the Steam version of Half-Life includes a new patch that you can't get on the CD version, which has better resolution support.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AT least GK2 still had gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
UPDATE: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/318160

Reached $2.1 Million and Getting Close to 50k Backers!

Update #11 · Sep. 28, 2012

It's been an amazing week and we are getting close to doubling our initial goal of $1.1 million. The next stretch goal at $2.2 million adds a new region, faction, and companion along with French, German, and Spanish translations.

We are also getting close to 50k backers! We have something fun and special planned for all of our backers when we hit this milestone, so keep a look out for an update on Monday about it.

Every pledge means that the game will get better and the world of Project Eternity will be larger. We understand that many of you are already pledging as much as you can. We are sincerely grateful for your contribution to the project, and we couldn't have made it this far without you. Another way to increase the funding and to hit our stretch goals is for you to spread the word about Project Eternity to your friends and family. Share your excitement with your favorite internet community, and tell your friends about Kickstarter and Project Eternity. We know that there are more than 50k people that would like to contribute, so we are reaching out to you to help us promote and reach out to other fans that may not know about the game yet. Tweet about the game, and share the project updates on Facebook. We are all in this together, and we all want the game to be as best as it can be.

Thank You!

Update by Adam

DraQ

Arcane
I don't know about hipster, but Half-Life never looked good even when it was first released.
You have a faulty memory then. When it was released it was second only to Unreal in terms of looks and Unreal looks good even today. It vastly surpassed other contemporaries - SiN, LithTech based Shogo and Blood 2, and so on.

While IE games look amazing with high res mods. Which I like how he just sweeps away.
There is some truth to what he says. Increasing resolution in a 2D game is done by simply scaling everything down in regards to visible area. The price is that everything gets tiny (and may be hard to select or identify), tiling (if present) or repetitive decorations get more apparent and so on. OTOH increasing resolution in a 3D game doesn't fundamentally change what and how much is displayed on the screen.

Of course, every game comes with some level of detail - textures, clutter, geometry.
If you increase the resolution way above what could be expected by the devs you don't get any improvement in image quality, you merely get less jaggies. Try Build engine games - they can scale up to really modern resolutions, but it's already hard to see the difference between 640x480 and 800x600 in them - I couldn't in 1997 and I barely can now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom