Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Black

Arcane
Still rtwp.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Who really cares if this game will good look in 15 years on our 8K pixel Ultra HD screens? I don't; I really don't.

Murk

Arcane
Seriously.

It would seem there is only a handful of halfwits who simply will not stop posting stupid shit on that forum. They are... a nuisance.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Can I just say how much I absolutely LOVE that there is a thread asking for the game to not be isometric?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know about hipster, but Half-Life never looked good even when it was first released.
You have a faulty memory then. When it was released it was second only to Unreal in terms of looks and Unreal looks good even today. It vastly surpassed other contemporaries - SiN, LithTech based Shogo and Blood 2, and so on.
It used the Quake 2 engine. Quake 3 came out like a month later. I don't remember being impressed by HL's graphics.

The fact that other companies made ugly games based on outdated tech doesn't change this.

Increasing resolution in a 2D game is done by simply scaling everything down in regards to visible area. The price is that everything gets tiny (and may be hard to select or identify)
This is only if you're increasing resolution and not screen size. Also, making things smaller hides the lack of detail in a lot of cases. PS:T and BG2 never looked better than at 1650x1080 on my 22" screen.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Half-Life was released '98 and it's still very much playable. Actually I think it's still pretty good looking in it's own way. I would even go so far to say it has aged better than BG or PS:T when it comes to graphics, because it still has endless resolution options and you can even add filters like AA or Anistropic, which in the time of release were unheard of, but still make game look much better today. With BG you are stuck with tiny 800x600 resolution unless you use mods. Can you tell us what resolutions are we using in 10 years and how we ensure PE will still support them?

You definitively can create timeless 3D art. 2D on the other hand might not be as timeless as you make it sound like. EDIT: But, I still want to say that whatever developers choose to do I'm sure I'll be fine with it. They know what they are doing.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59989-do-not-make-the-game-isometric/page__st__100#entry1214444

Troll or just another tasteless idiot hipster? DISCUSS!!

I say it's Captain Shrek or Skyway :smug:

BTW it's a good moment to demand a mandatory fucking orthographic projection in Eternity. To underline the importance of thing, would be good to sacrifice some of those retards to Magnus Christus Avellonus and let the smoke of burning bodies reach the sky.

DraQ

Arcane
It used the Quake 2 engine. Quake 3 came out like a month later.
H-L: November 19, 1998
Q3A: December 2, 1999

:hmmm:
That's more than a year later.

About the amount of time between Q2 and HL and more than the amount of time between this:
blood01.png

and this:
unreal3.jpg

:hmmm:

I don't remember being impressed by HL's graphics.

The fact that other companies made ugly games based on outdated tech doesn't change this.
:balance:

This is only if you're increasing resolution and not screen size. Also, making things smaller hides the lack of detail in a lot of cases. PS:T and BG2 never looked better than at 1650x1080 on my 22" screen.
PS:T May look good because of lack of asset reuse, but BG1 will considerably degrade (lots of reused trees and such), while anything tile based will degrade even further (tiling).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Biodronesssssssss
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60745-what-do-you-wish-not-to-see-in-pe/page__st__60#entry1213529
Merin said:
excessively complicated combat mechanics: stuff like attacks of opportunity, facing, shields only protecting one side, weapon types (like slashing or piercing or bludgeoning) and the need to paper-rock-scissors the basic combat implements against foes who are resistant to types, too many levels of buffing, spell combos.... combat should be fun, tactical, and open to multiple ways to approach any given fight...but when you get to the ridiculous level of, say, ToEE and five-foot stepping.... gah, no...
No rock-paper-scissors and too-many-buffs are his stopped clock moments. The rest are "Are you for real?!" Five foot steps in ToEE were too much? Really?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Biodronesssssssss
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60745-what-do-you-wish-not-to-see-in-pe/page__st__60#entry1213529
Merin said:
excessively complicated combat mechanics: stuff like attacks of opportunity, facing, shields only protecting one side, weapon types (like slashing or piercing or bludgeoning) and the need to paper-rock-scissors the basic combat implements against foes who are resistant to types, too many levels of buffing, spell combos.... combat should be fun, tactical, and open to multiple ways to approach any given fight...but when you get to the ridiculous level of, say, ToEE and five-foot stepping.... gah, no...
No rock-paper-scissors and too-many-buffs are his stopped clock moments. The rest are "Are you for real?!" Five foot steps in ToEE were too much? Really?

Ah, it's just Merin. :roll:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Biodronesssssssss
Merin said:

and this:

- everything is grey: I'm so tired of moral ambivalence.... make the world where good, bad and indifference all unhappily co-exist

Perkele, that guy just keeps pissing me off.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Biodronesssssssss
Merin said:

Ah, it's just Merin. :roll:

I bet he's merry. Not that it's anything wrong with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, Sylvius is such an eccentric whackjob. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ith-your-companions/page__st__60#entry1214741

Clearly only the PC should have access to the widest range of options, since his or her character would be entirely undefined; murderous or noble, you'd have the full range of picks. Keldorn, Dak'kon or Kaelyn the Dove never would.
Unless they would, in which case they're now different characters.

I refuse to concede even that the companions are the same from one playthrough to the next. Perhaps in one playthrough Keldorn wouldn't utter menacing threats, but in another he might.

Shadenuat

Arcane
lol, Sylvius is such an eccentric whackjob
Oh yes. He is in his infamous "I want my Sylvius-game" mode now, LARPing for six-characters party like a kid who plays dolls in his little theatre.

MCA
Boob armor - massive fucking LOL. It just shows that all those sugar coated words in interviews, about clash of cultures, factional struggles and shit is bullshit. You can't expect anything of depth from the kind of people who are ok with this juvenile crap they pass as concept art. Boob armor. Holy cow. This is golden. I felt like I was looking at Deviant Art page of some 10 year old little shitstain.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Boob armor - massive fucking LOL. It just shows that all those sugar coated words in interviews, about clash of cultures, factional struggles and shit is bullshit. You can't expect anything of depth from the kind of people who are ok with this crap they pass as concept art. Boob armor. Holy cow. This is golden.

:3/5:

Besides, that's not even true. I mean, look at Witcher. That doesn't even have the armor, just the boobs. :smug:

MCA
Besides, that's not even true. I mean, look at Witcher. That doesn't even have the armor, just the boobs. :smug:

That's because Twitcher is upfront about a lot of things: "MEN FUCK WOMEN. AND YOU PLAY A MAN IN THIS GAME". Therefore, they got no need for cunts in armour to begin with :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom