Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Gaider leaving Bioware. Joining Obsidian is imminent, bros.

Open the door! We know you're there!
:mob:

===============================

:mca:
5KKFA.gif

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Magnificent.

Times like this remind me of the ever faint trace of camaraderie that still lingers here in the hallowed halls of Kodecksia.

Don't worry, it won't last. ;)

Ugh. Working a goddamn double today and severely wishing I had better shit to do. I don't. Also: Dammit, Grimlorn...the number thing does work.

Data4

Arcane
"You people are single-handily responsible for the bastardization and decline of RPGs with your demand for easier difficulties, customizable colors/clothes, less features/classes/character customization so you don't get confused, full voice acting, crappy romances, etc.

You complain about RPGs today and pretend to long for RPGs of old but as soon as one comes around you're trying to turn it into Dragon Age 2/Skyrim. You should all be ashamed of yourselves."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/page__st__120
I don't know how to link a specific post.

I'm surprised some oversensitive PC twat hasn't responded to that with "What do you mean by 'You people'?"

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait, what jewmancy is this? If you work for EA you have to sign a contract that you can not work for any other video game developer?
So basically, once you quit EA you're out of a video game developing job forever and ever?

How do they get away with that?

J1M

Arcane
ALL EA Employee's sign a No-Compete, so Gaider cannot work on this.

THANK GAWD!

How do you know he's not leaving?

He can leave all he wants. He CANNOT work for any video game developer (same with the Bio Docs).
Non-compete agreements are only enforceable when someone is filthy rich an executive or it can be demonstrated in court that preventing the person from working for a competitor will not prevent them from being able to make the same standard of living. Unless EA wants to pay Gaider forever not to work elsewhere, he can apply to work for whoever he wants to.

Cynic

Arcane
I'm not following this like a fiend so can you fill a bro in? Are the biowhores who have invaded the Obsidian forums whining that there should also be different levels of difficulty for casuals??!? Is that actually true?

Tigranes

Arcane
I think they just want a Mass Effect Story Mode style difficulty where even if you really suck at combat (or really hate it), you can still play.

I'm not sure why we can't just have good ol' CLUAConsole for that purpose, though.

Cynic

Arcane
How about they fuck off and play something else? Or you know...read a book?! Watch a movie?! Why must there be retards?!

Grimlorn

Arcane
And DA3 will be out before Eternity anyway, so they'll be able to play their casual game first. They should focus on that.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
'Ego stroke' ... everything that's wrong with Bioware games, and the Bio philosophy that the shortest path to the ego lies through your junk.

Grimlorn

Arcane
First thing I noticed was the cheap vitamins and fish oil he had. Someone get him the good stuff.

'Ego stroke' ... everything that's wrong with Bioware games, and the Bio philosophy that the shortest path to the ego lies through your junk.
Yeah I don't really agree with the whole your companions must "ego stroke" the player bit. I get that they should react to the player and probably like the player since they're following him, but I don't think it's necessary they make the player feel special or provide emotional support.

Wait, what jewmancy is this? If you work for EA you have to sign a contract that you can not work for any other video game developer?
So basically, once you quit EA you're out of a video game developing job forever and ever?

It's probably for a certain period of time, so he can't leave on wednesday and begin working for another developer on thursday.

edit: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/page__st__40#entry1211001

Delterius said:
You said 'IE Games', but forgot that PS:T is one out of 5 + expansions. Even PS:T has its combat centrisms.

edit: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/page__st__100#entry1212958

Loki Ador said:
Meshugger, on 27 September 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:
*sigh*

You know like real life, achieving something requires a certain level of work. Now, since we are talking about a game, the more difficult it is, the more rewarding it will be to be able to finish it. If you suck at gaming, then (mentally) train, reload and do it again until it is done correctly. The best things in life do not stem from hand-holding, effortless pat on the back or getting awarded only by participating or showing interest, it comes from overcoming difficulties that you previously thought being impossible/unsolvable.

Mediocrity should never be virtue in video game design. It should be a sin, an abomination.

You realize some people have other things to do in their life than reloading and trying to get better at a game ?

If some people feel like doing so, good for them if it is their enjoyment. Other don't. Yet they will accept funding the game, or buying it, thus contributing to its success, provided they are offered an option that allows them to play it the way they want.

:what:

Okay, I'm done with this. I thought about fighting the good fight with my voice, but this is too much.

Cynic

Arcane
Or you know...read a book?! Watch a movie?!

I was told I was not being helpful for suggesting this very thing.

What sweet irony it would be if Kickstarter biowhores turn out to influence the game more than a big old evil publisher would. I think this would possible cause the Codex to implode in on itself in a massive blackhole of butthurt and rage.

Cynic

Arcane

This kind of clause in an employment contract is standard fair in almost any kind of technology based industry. You are not allowed to work for a competitor for a set period of time once you leave. How the word "competitor" is defined is entirely up to the employer who draws up the contract. For example, Facebook employees could not just quit and take a job at Google immediately.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I really don't understand how someone would actually want Gaider to write for a game. Then again, Avellone loves him, so what do I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom