Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fargo sure knows how to get the most money out of each person.

kaizoku

Arcane
http://www.gamrreview.com/article/8...ckstarter-and-project-eternity-with-tim-cain/

Tim: We love the old Infinity Engine games, so we are making our own modern version. We want to make a game with real time combat (with pausing so you can issue orders), a full party to control, and lots of places to explore. And we want to make a story filled with memorable characters and difficult decisions, a story that you will be thinking about years after you have played the game.

Tim: Modern RPGs avoid real ethical questions and instead focus on storylines with black and white morality. They provide villains who are evil and have no redeeming virtues, and the player is forced to destroy them. If there is anything mature about them, it's their use of language and sexual situations. That's not what we mean by "mature".
We want to explore deeper issues like what happens when cultures clash, when ideologies are questioned, or when individuals have their rights trampled. We want the player to tread into the murky grey areas between black and white, and we want them to have to make decisions that will affect their characters, and maybe the player will think about some of these issues in their real lives.

dude: While Project Eternity is about taking RPGs back to their roots, will you be looking to change things up and tweak that classic formula at all?
Tim: Certainly we plan to make changes. We are not the same designers that we were five, ten or even twenty years ago, and we want the game to reflect that. Besides, there are some rough edges around all of the games we are being inspired by, so we plan to make some improvements along the way. As long as we keep to the spirit of those earlier games, we will be happy and we hope you will be too.

dude: Finally, let’s end on an easy question: What would you name as your favourite RPG of all time and why?
Tim: That's a hard question! I'm going to pick Star Control 2, which isn't often portrayed as an RPG. But if you take the ship as being the player's character, then the game has all of the hallmarks of an RPG. You go on adventures, have combat encounters, find loot, meet interesting NPCs and improve your abilities. All of this and a great storyline sounds like an RPG to me! I absolutely loved this game.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
http://www.gamrreview.com/article/8...ckstarter-and-project-eternity-with-tim-cain/

Tim: We love the old Infinity Engine games, so we are making our own modern version. We want to make a game with real time combat (with pausing so you can issue orders), a full party to control, and lots of places to explore. And we want to make a story filled with memorable characters and difficult decisions, a story that you will be thinking about years after you have played the game.

Tim: Modern RPGs avoid real ethical questions and instead focus on storylines with black and white morality. They provide villains who are evil and have no redeeming virtues, and the player is forced to destroy them. If there is anything mature about them, it's their use of language and sexual situations. That's not what we mean by "mature".
We want to explore deeper issues like what happens when cultures clash, when ideologies are questioned, or when individuals have their rights trampled. We want the player to tread into the murky grey areas between black and white, and we want them to have to make decisions that will affect their characters, and maybe the player will think about some of these issues in their real lives.

dude: While Project Eternity is about taking RPGs back to their roots, will you be looking to change things up and tweak that classic formula at all?
Tim: Certainly we plan to make changes. We are not the same designers that we were five, ten or even twenty years ago, and we want the game to reflect that. Besides, there are some rough edges around all of the games we are being inspired by, so we plan to make some improvements along the way. As long as we keep to the spirit of those earlier games, we will be happy and we hope you will be too.

dude: Finally, let’s end on an easy question: What would you name as your favourite RPG of all time and why?
Tim: That's a hard question! I'm going to pick Star Control 2, which isn't often portrayed as an RPG. But if you take the ship as being the player's character, then the game has all of the hallmarks of an RPG. You go on adventures, have combat encounters, find loot, meet interesting NPCs and improve your abilities. All of this and a great storyline sounds like an RPG to me! I absolutely loved this game.

That sounds very good.

:brodex:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tim: We want to explore deeper issues like what happens when cultures clash, when ideologies are questioned, or when individuals have their rights trampled. We want the player to tread into the murky grey areas between black and white, and we want them to have to make decisions that will affect their characters, and maybe the player will think about some of these issues in their real lives.
:love:

kaizoku

Arcane
another interview, this one a lot more interesting http://www.rpgamer.com/games/eternity/eternityint.html

(too much to copy paste)

MAC: Given time and budget constraints, is there any concern over how robust these can be, and how many conversations can be written numerous ways for the PC and NPCs?

TC: We have addressed these concerns by pulling the really time-consuming features into their own stretch goals. For example, we have tiers for lengthy NPC dialogs, such as companions and faction-related dialogs. We have a lot of people who we would love to bring onto the project, and with more funding we can do that.

Murk

Arcane
I have, on multiple occasions now, typed up a response then hit cancel because I realized it would take me 5x the effort that the halfwit in question has exerted to explain that, not only are they wrong, but they are so ignorant of their wrongness, that even if I were to explain to them how or why they are wrong, they would still not understand.

I am beginning to understand why people who I would consider to be extremely intelligent have chosen the bottle, the needle, or the bullet.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I have, on multiple occasions now, typed up a response then hit cancel because I realized it would take me 5x the effort that the halfwit in question has exerted to explain that, not only are they wrong, but they are so ignorant of their wrongness, that even if I were to explain to them how or why they are wrong, they would still not understand.

I am beginning to understand why people who I would consider to be extremely intelligent have chosen the bottle, the needle, or the bullet.

Endure, Mikayel. In enduring you grow stronger.

tuluse

Arcane

Just remember, you're not trying to convince the idiots of their folly. You're trying to convince everyone else.

A lot of their arguments can seem convincing on the surface and it's important we crush them.

DraQ

Arcane
1) elements of the game shouldn't be able to be separated out because they should be inherently integrated
2) the designers should have an artist vision which welds all the elements together
3) use better more specific examples, here's one I just thought of: Someone who doesn't like violence tries to skip all the violent scenes in the Dark Knight rises. Would the story still make sense?
4) Call Bioware games shitty because of the separation of story from the rest of the game. There should not be "gameplay sections" and "story sections" there should just be a game where everything is cohesive.
Fixed and this.
I'm pretty sure significant amount of women would take an armor with boobplate over a standard one.
Because, you know, it enhances. Not all clothing is chosen for practicality, and a lady wearing full plate
might be concerned the hunky fighter boys don't consider her feminine enough.

:balance:
I hope this person takes a military pick in the sternum.

Murk

Arcane
Just remember, you're not trying to convince the idiots of their folly. You're trying to convince everyone else.

A lot of their arguments can seem convincing on the surface and it's important we crush them.

Ah mein freund, it is not the (lack of) validity nor soundness in their arguments that bothers me. But rather that I would even consider it an argument, and dedicate so much time to refute it. I can compare it to walking down the street and having a dog bark at me -- I would not stop to bark back nor even respond in speech for it is an animal and cannot understand; and yet, here, we must.

EDIT: It would seem that I must find and kill this Stiler person.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FYI guys these interviews aren't actually new, pretty sure they've both been posted before.

kaizoku

Arcane
FYI guys these interviews aren't actually new, pretty sure they've both been posted before.

Well, I saw the links on PE news thread, with them as being posted today and yesterday.

I have no clue if they have been posted before or not. They are new to me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
These people are incredibly arrogant in a passive-aggressive sort of internet way. I believe this is due to moderation.

Tigranes

Arcane
All these looney threads asking for X and Y is making that forum some grimdark pit of ceaseless forum war.

In the grim darkness of the far forum, there is only war.

Maybe they closed down the romance threads because were getting perilously close to bringing Slaanesh to life.

Nobody wants Slaanesh around, leaves a big mess.

I'm surprised none of you have made a IS PROJECT ETERNITY AN RPG thread yet. M:

Grimlorn

Arcane
"You people are single-handily responsible for the bastardization and decline of RPGs with your demand for easier difficulties, customizable colors/clothes, less features/classes/character customization so you don't get confused, full voice acting, crappy romances, etc.

You complain about RPGs today and pretend to long for RPGs of old but as soon as one comes around you're trying to turn it into Dragon Age 2/Skyrim. You should all be ashamed of yourselves."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/page__st__120#entry1213118

Murk

Arcane
Magnificent.

Times like this remind me of the ever faint trace of camaraderie that still lingers here in the hallowed halls of Kodecksia.

tuluse

Arcane
"You people are single-handily responsible for the bastardization and decline of RPGs with your demand for easier difficulties, customizable colors/clothes, less features/classes/character customization so you don't get confused, full voice acting, crappy romances, etc.

You complain about RPGs today and pretend to long for RPGs of old but as soon as one comes around you're trying to turn it into Dragon Age 2/Skyrim. You should all be ashamed of yourselves."

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/page__st__120
I don't know how to link a specific post.
The number on the top right of the post is the link to the post.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I see nothing wrong with that post; why post it here?

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60710-just-how-easy-will-easy-be/page__st__120#entry1213118
^
Link to a specific post. You can get this link by clicking the top-right of a post; click the number. For your post that's #131.
Just to give you guys a chance to jump in on it. I tried the number thing earlier but it kept linking me to the first page so thought it didn't work.

I'm surprised. It seems to have shut them up too. No responses about how it's not hurting anyone if the game is super easy.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
@NopantLandsharkI'd love to work with David. And when I say "love," he gets to do all the romances.

Gaider leaving Bioware. Joining Obsidian is imminent, bros.

:hmmm:

David Gaider as stretch goal, PE reaches $10 million in pledges.

darthgaider0.jpg

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom