Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There have always been places where certain behavior is inappropriate. Also, the CoD Xbox kiddies are one of the most vulgar crowd you can come across, so I'm not sure why you bring them up.

This has nothing to do with the gaming community, or freedom of speech rights. It has everything to do with a company run by people not wanting to offend parts of their fan base so they can sell as many copies of their product as possible.
The Xbox kiddies may be crude, but, more importantly, they're ignorant. Also, the fact that they are crude in game chat doesn't mean much. If they would be doing that on the forums, they'd be banned in an instant, and that's what matters most.

You keep telling yourself that it has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Censorship based on profit and censorship based political views is not very different. I would say that the one based on profit is even more despicable. Once you start disregarding the principle itself (freedom of speech), watch out below.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Whatever, it's not a big deal that a private forum has rules.

That's the reason that places like 4chan, reddit, and the codex exist.

grotsnik

Arcane
That thread sure does have a lot of crazy.

I'm a story-driven gamer. In my particular case, I also really enjoy the gameplay elements of RPGs, and I foresee myself trying out some of these increased difficulty modes (although I'll be doing that after I've done a complete playthrough). For me, unlocking the story as a reward for completing gameplay challenges really works.

However, I don't see a reason why someone shouldn't be allowed to play a game purely to experience the story, or why they should be disparaged for it. Saying something like "go read a book or watch a movie" isn't helpful - or even cogent. Experiencing a story interactively - even stripped of its combat elements - is another experience entirely. That's something I think a majority of RPG fans can agree on. It might also be that the story told by a particular game is not one you can experience anywhere else.

So I think asking for a mode that removes combat, or (more likely to be implementable) one that makes combat vanishingly easy is a perfectly valid request. Real time with no pause necessary. Real time with no action on the player's part necessary. It's not the option I would choose, but I'm certainly not going to belittle someone who does want to play the game that way, or fault the developers for including that option, as well as their more difficult modes, in the game.

Obsidimod said:
The real problem with the position of "I want to play the game, but with story only, no combat," is that it's the same as a guy buying a comic book and complaining that the comic book doesn't allow him to enjoy the story without the drawings.

So?

Comic books traditionally have very different settings and plots to your average book. Just look at the backstory of any major superhero. I don't like that particular kind of story, but that doesn't mean that a person who wants to read such a story without any artwork to distract their imagination doesn't have a legitimate complaint. They're a market that's not being served by any books. (Or rather, many books, because I'm betting there's at least a couple of books that ape the comic style by now).

The arguments about whether story should follow gameplay or whether gameplay should follow story or whether (ideally) they should serve each other are all peripheral. Whether the devs have the time or resources to implement particular features is also a different argument - one that nobody but the devs can weigh in on with any authority. The big issue with this whole topic is that one group of people are dictating how another group should enjoy their media. Someone who cheats their way through a game to experience the story has just as much right to play that game as someone who presses escape every time a story-related section occurs so that they can get back to the gameplay. And there should be nothing offensive, or threatening, about people asking for a feature that you will not partake in.

It becomes impossible to debate this kind of passive-aggressive righteous-fury-of-the-relativist-care-bear crap, even when it's taken to an absurd extreme like 'there should be comic books without pictures, to accommodate people who'd rather use their imagination'. You can't take a hatchet to anything, because someone out there probably likes it that way, which means you aren't arguing against a concept, you're belittling another human being's preferences and dictating what they're allowed to enjoy, you massive fascist.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Retards want to pull a Hepler and excise gameplay from the game, because losing hurts their feelings. We are mean from taking a legitimate way of enjoying games away from them.

Give me a damn post link or something fuck.
No more free rides, jackhole!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...r-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__120#entry1211375
So I think asking for a mode that removes combat, or (more likely to be implementable) one that makes combat vanishingly easy is a perfectly valid request. Real time with no pause necessary. Real time with no action on the player's part necessary.

EPICPICARDFACEPALM.JPG

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Retards want to pull a Hepler and excise gameplay from the game, because losing hurts their feelings. We are mean from taking a legitimate way of enjoying games away from them.

Give me a damn post link or something fuck.
No more free rides, jackhole!

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...r-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__120#entry1211375
So I think asking for a mode that removes combat, or (more likely to be implementable) one that makes combat vanishingly easy is a perfectly valid request. Real time with no pause necessary. Real time with no action on the player's part necessary.

EPICPICARDFACEPALM.JPG
You might also enjoy the "I simply must have full cosmetic control over my Barbie's accessories because I cannot be seen wearing non matching stuff" thread here:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...rmorweapon-look-if-we-want-for-new-euqipment/

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most of the people who say "they play only for the story" are liars I think. They definitely do derive some atavistic, unsophisticated enjoyment from watching their invincible guys wail on helpless mobs. It provides mildly entertaining pacing between story sections.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It becomes impossible to debate this kind of passive-aggressive righteous-fury-of-the-relativist-care-bear crap, even when it's taken to an absurd extreme like 'there should be comic books without pictures, to accommodate people who'd rather use their imagination'. You can't take a hatchet to anything, because someone out there probably likes it that way, which means you aren't arguing against a concept, you're belittling another human being's preferences and dictating what they're allowed to enjoy, you massive fascist.
Embrace the fascism, by using the "it's art" defense.

1) elements of the game should be able to be separated out because they should be inherently integrated
2) the designers should have an artist vision which welds all the elements together
3) use better more specific examples, here's one I just thought of: Someone who doesn't like violence tries to skip all the violent scenes in the Dark Knight rises. Would the story still make sense?
4) Call Bioware games shitty because of the separation of story from the rest of the game. There should not be "gameplay sections" and "story sections" there should just be a game where everything is cohesive.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So I think asking for a mode that removes combat, or (more likely to be implementable) one that makes combat vanishingly easy is a perfectly valid request.

What the fuck.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
cretin said:
How does how you look not have anything to do with role playing? It's Live Action Role Playing for a reason.

If you want to roleplay as Gandalf, would you not want to >look< like gandalf?

I dont' see how if it's "live action" role playing means what you look like matters but "Computer" role playing what you look like means nothing all of the sudden.
HAHA OH WOW

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
You might also enjoy the "I simply must have full cosmetic control over my Barbie's accessories because I cannot be seen wearing non matching stuff" thread here:

Ahhh. Now that's a good one.

*sets up camp*

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, I've been trollin' around the Bethie boards a long time. Wicked used to these people. They're fuckin' hilarious fun.

kaizoku

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...ur-23m-stretch-goal/page__st__60#entry1210644

Josh Sawyer said:
Inertia, on 26 September 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:
I love the ideas
snapback.png
of all the expert modes and hope to play through them all myself. But the idea of the opposite a "story mode" scares me because doesn't this lead to game design where no gameplay could be present in the story and vice versa?
To be clear: we're making a game in which story, setting (i.e. exploration of the setting), and tactical combat are emphasized in more-or-less equal measure. The options we're talking about are present so you can tune your particular flavor of gameplay elements, but we're not making a game for people who inherently dislike these gameplay elements.

E.g. I enjoy some RTS games (especially historical ones). I am not particularly good at them. I really like the gameplay, but I have never been able to reach the level of being even moderately skilled at any of them. I like it when devs give me more forgiving gameplay options so my low-APM brain can complete the scenarios in a way that is still enjoyable and challenging for my skill level. I wouldn't understand the point in giving me options to skip or avoid the scenarios; I'm playing an RTS because I actually enjoy the mechanics.

Yet, they still go for RTwP.

Funny. Maybe a marketing decision.

I'm not that bothered with RTwP, but once you go ToEE, it's hard to go back.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm pretty sure significant amount of women would take an armor with boobplate over a standard one.
Because, you know, it enhances. Not all clothing is chosen for practicality, and a lady wearing full plate
might be concerned the hunky fighter boys don't consider her feminine enough.

:balance:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
full plate armors were always custom-made and in fact the knights/lords almost always requested a look that enhanced their physique/musculature... full plate armors did not have a "standard" look.

then again nobody has "unearthed" an anciet suit of boob-plate with nipples yet, so what do i know

edit: also google "ancient roman crocodile armor" :)

evdk

Patron
To be perfectly honest I do not want such retards to play the game without suffering. Also it would also mean either disjointed story, which would cause them to bitch and moan about being ripped off or complete redesign so that nothing happens outside of a cutscene/conversation.

Regvard

Arcane
Can't be bothered to register there so could one of you guys tell them to implement clockwork automaton/golem type playables/companions.

- Hey adventurers, if you fetch my toothbrush from the depths of a demon-invested dungeon I shall reward you with this lint in my pocket!

Karl_Ruprecht_Kroenen_by_x0SHiranai0x.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
could one of you guys tell them to implement clockwork automaton/golem type playables/companions

That would instantly turn into a discussion about bisexual/genderless characters, which in turn would lead it being about romances with them, which then would turn into cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria, and so on.

evdk

Patron
Just because something has been brought by one group does not mean it can't be brought up by another for less retarded reasons. I want to be a Robocop!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom