Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So is it true that one of the obsidian developers backed Anita Sarkasian kickstarter? I just read it in /v/
man this is getting worse :/

Anita Sarkeesian who gives a shit about her wievs or dry vagina? Obsydian is known to be not into PC and feminism... and even if they will turn Bioware then it will be last kickstarter welcomed on Codex anyway. I more intrested if the copyprotection frei and turn based combat will be included. I also said I will pass this kickstarter since it was funded from the begining, I am sure there will be some :obviously: game done by new developers which will need every jewgold I can spare.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Why are you Obsidian fanboys bashing Nigro ? He has a point. Only a brain dead retard would throw money at that piece of shit. So where does that leave Sawyer ?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
So it is true then, Sawyer backed up the woman project.
:decline:
Sorry if I have a different opinion than you guys, but to me this kind of feminism bullshit ruin many games and movies, and I am curious about the way it's going to be dealt with in Project Eternity

I'd love to know of any games that have been ruined by "feminism bullshit". No, Bioware doesn't count.

I made a long-ish angry post on this in P:E before: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/2276572/
Interesting post.

The games were ruined for me, because I can't force myself to play it, and the money I spent is wasted. But many of those games are well acclaimed, I know that I'm a minority, and can't argue with a bloodthirsty crowd, so I see no point in discussing about them, most likely you have played them and you have your own opinion about it.
But really, can't you see this feminist and LGBT agenda getting pushed down on our throats in movies and games nowadays? It's sickening.

I have a very low tolerance for bullshit in games and movies, sometimes I'm just watching a movie or playing a game and I see a scene that makes my bullshit sense tingle, and I turn it off immediately and uninstall, I'm just hoping and trying to convince myself that this won't be the case with Project Eternity, that's all.
Movies? Yes, limp-wristed American apologetic wet liberalism is one of the (many) things shitty about modern movies and why I can't be arsed with most of them. Games? No. I really can't. Where is it? What games?

I can think of one remotely AAA game with a good female protagonist, Beyond Good and Evil. It sold badly and the sequel is in development hell. It was also fucking fantastic. I'm just not seeing the evil women destroying our hobby from the inside or whatever. If THOSE WOMYN and their NOT WANTING TO BE DEPICTED AS TITWHORE MCGEE are your biggest problem with modern games, I kind of envy you.

Oh god why am I seriousposting at someone called Nigro.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love how for most of the people actively complaining "shoving LGBT agenda down our throats" means showing that these kinds of people exist and not portraying them negatively/ as a joke in a movie/game.

Nigro

Educated
So it is true then, Sawyer backed up the woman project.
:decline:
Sorry if I have a different opinion than you guys, but to me this kind of feminism bullshit ruin many games and movies, and I am curious about the way it's going to be dealt with in Project Eternity

I'd love to know of any games that have been ruined by "feminism bullshit". No, Bioware doesn't count.

I made a long-ish angry post on this in P:E before: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?posts/2276572/
Interesting post.

The games were ruined for me, because I can't force myself to play it, and the money I spent is wasted. But many of those games are well acclaimed, I know that I'm a minority, and can't argue with a bloodthirsty crowd, so I see no point in discussing about them, most likely you have played them and you have your own opinion about it.
But really, can't you see this feminist and LGBT agenda getting pushed down on our throats in movies and games nowadays? It's sickening.

I have a very low tolerance for bullshit in games and movies, sometimes I'm just watching a movie or playing a game and I see a scene that makes my bullshit sense tingle, and I turn it off immediately and uninstall, I'm just hoping and trying to convince myself that this won't be the case with Project Eternity, that's all.
Movies? Yes, limp-wristed American apologetic wet liberalism is one of the (many) things shitty about modern movies and why I can't be arsed with most of them. Games? No. I really can't. Where is it? What games?

I can think of one remotely AAA game with a good female protagonist, Beyond Good and Evil. It sold badly and the sequel is in development hell. It was also fucking fantastic. I'm just not seeing the evil women destroying our hobby from the inside or whatever. If THOSE WOMYN and their NOT WANTING TO BE DEPICTED AS TITWHORE MCGEE are your biggest problem with modern games, I kind of envy you.

lol
Man you are getting too advanced here for me, I'm a simple man. But yeah, I wish those people wanting women with clothing in the game to go away, it's clear that women like to show themselves with little to no clothing, so why shouldn't we let them?
One of the main points of women is to use her body to attract a strong and rich male to have kids with, why should games and movies totally ignore this?

Way I see it, the only proper way to put women in movies and games nowadays, is if they are implemented in the "HURR GRLL POWER" way, which is totally different from the real life women, IMO.

Spockrock

Augur
Why are you Obsidian fanboys bashing Nigro ? He has a point. Only a brain dead retard would throw money at that piece of shit. So where does that leave Sawyer ?
while I do agree on most things with Sawyer when it comes to game design... QFT

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Why are you Obsidian fanboys bashing Nigro ?

Because he's a fucking idiot.

He has a point.

No. No he doesn't.

Only a brain dead retard would throw money at that piece of shit.

Or an overzealous progressive. Sarkeesian's a misguided idiot, sure. But the core of her point (that videogame entertainment is geared at underdeveloped manchildren who need BOOBZ! everywhere they decide to drool), if absolutely nothing else she says or claims, is basically true. If videogames are ever even going to come close to being considered a valid "art form" it might be a good idea to tone down the juvenile portrayal of women as boobz & buttz a bit.

So where does that leave Sawyer ?

A more thoughtful, if a bit progressively overzealous, gentleman than either of you?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This conversation is fucking retarded. Here's the question you need to ask yourself: Do you enjoy MCA's writing and do you expect him to continue writing at the same quality that he has shown in the past?

If the answer to those questions is yes, than who cares what stupid way Sawyer spends his money?

He could donate thousands a year to Mothers Against Videogame Addiction and Violence, and it wouldn't make one iota of difference to the quality of the game.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you bloody retards refrained from making an issue out of her kickstarter she would have been lucky to meet her goal. But since it got blown all out of proportion on /v/ and other places, pledging money for her project became in certain circles an allegorical slap in the face of internet reactionaries everywhere. So it's your fault she's got so much money. Now shut up about her already.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Or an overzealous progressive. Sarkeesian's a misguided idiot, sure. But the core of her point (that videogame entertainment is geared at underdeveloped manchildren who need BOOBZ! everywhere they decide to drool), if absolutely nothing else she says or claims, is basically true. If videogames are ever even going to come close to being considered a valid "art form" it might be a good idea to tone down the juvenile portrayal of women as boobz & buttz a bit.

A more thoughtful, if a bit progressively overzealous, gentleman than either of you?

Are you fucking kidding me ?

Jackass.

What are you 12 ?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ITT people demand that professional videogame mechanics designers be politically savvy.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It ain't my fault. I didn't hear about it until a few days ago on the Obsidian forums.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
ITT people demand that professional videogame mechanics designers be politically savvy.

What? I'm mocking the exact same type of people who we're railing against in the "Romances please!" threads. People demanding or expecting juvenile bullshit from something which should be a more interesting and less pandering type of game. The fact I came up with what is likely the reason Sawyer regrettably donated money to a fool is not me demanding anything from anybody. I personally don't really care as I don't particularly get bothered about this kind of stuff in entertainment that easily...but as a developer who probably takes his career seriously? I could see it.

Dexter

Arcane
Because he's a fucking idiot.
I think I can agree with you on that one xD

Why do you care if videogames are "considered a valid art form"? And how comes an "art form" isn't allowed to depict "juvenile portrayal of women as boobz & buttz", there's an entire genre of movies dedicated to that, and there were a large amount of exploitation flicks and the likes. I'd rather think something might be considered an "art form" as opposed to just business selling products to the widest possible market when there aren't any taboos depicted anymore.

Also, saw this posted somewhere else, why is MCA there, I'm confused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiZgogBYPtM

jewboy

Arbiter
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60372-vancian-magic-system/page__st__280#entry1217514

J.E. Sawyer said:
I'm not going to rule out cooldowns and I'm not going to design the entire magic system on the fly over the course of three weeks. Both Tim and I want the magic system to feel expansive, powerful, and flexible. We want the player to have to make prep choices when selecting spells for active use. These things do not require a Vancian system, nor do they require the absence of cooldowns as a mechanic. As I wrote in one of the class threads, our goal with class design is not to limit the role of classes but to ensure that every class does have at least one combat role they can clearly excel in. This does not mean that wizards won't be able to cast protective spells, transformative spells, etc. It is likely that they will not be able to select from all of those things in the moment but unlikely that we will require the player to rest to change what he or she has access to.

Holy shit. Looks like VotS was right. This is not looking good at all. It's hard for me to believe that Tim "ToEE" Cain thinks cooldowns are a viable option. This sort of comment reminds me that Sawyer doesn't have much of a track record. He hasn't proven himself like Avellone or Cain.

Well at least we still have Wasteland 2. Ironically it turns out that Fargo, the business guy, is the one who has stuck to his principles about old school games staying true to old school game mechanics. No way are the fun of old style games going to be reproduced with cooldowns. Looks like another shit sandwich and when the time comes it's going to be awfully tempting for many of us to take a bite. I sure as hell aint gonna help kickstarting this shit though. Some of you were poo pooing this project as soon as you heard it wasn't going to be turn based. I figured that RtwaP, if done right could be close enough to turn based, but it turns out that it's a sliippery slope. Once you let the devs go for any kind of real time they can't resist going full Dragon Age or WoW.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Why do you care if videogames are "considered a valid art form"?

I don't. You misread my intention. If I was a developer though, I might. And I might attempt to do away with juvenile characterizations too.

And how comes an "art form" isn't allowed to depict "juvenile portrayal of women as boobz & buttz"

I honestly don't even know where to begin. So I'll quote an earlier post:

showing that these kinds of people exist and not portraying them negatively/as a joke in a movie/game.

The way Fallout NV did, essentially. You don't think that's a more mature approach which people would take more seriously?

there's an entire genre of movies dedicated to that, and there were a large amount of exploitation flicks and the likes.

Yes. Exploitation films are taken very seriously.

I'd rather think something might be considered an "art form" as opposed to just business selling products to the widest possible market when there aren't any taboos depicted anymore.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here.

Tigranes

Arcane
What exactly is the problem with that comment, besides the fact that he isn't dogmatically hateful of cooldowns? I mean, that comment has basically zero substance. It says "we aren't rejecting any one thing or confirming another, because we haven't made any big decisions yet."

Lord Andre

Arcane
If Sawyer wants to be progressive he should lobby for equality. If you follow an idiot than you're an idiot too.

Nigro is a troll, but that one time he had a point. Fanatical fanboys are just as bad by the way.

Twinkie, how about an example where a game fails to be art because of that stuff you wrote ? (no retarded japanese hentai shit please)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom