Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Or maybe he wanted to make games that don't appeal to the masses.

:lol:

Just like Dragon Age.

I hope Obsidian won't listen to your feedback, so the game will make you rage.

Well, as opposed to you, I'm a nice guy so I hope Obsidian listens to your feedback (EVERYTHING YOU DO IS AWESUM GUYS PLEASE CUM ON MY FACE) and will have great minigames like those of Alpha Protocol that you enjoyed so much, so you will love the game. :thumbsup:
I'm not saying that they should do that, but until I don't know the exact system they will use, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. And yes, AP's minigames were awesome. If you have proper hand-eye coordination, which you lack. :smug:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
"Semi"-loot tables. If it's a combination of fixed equipment + randomisation of gold, gews, jewelry etc then it doesn't sound too bad.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you have proper hand-eye coordination, which you lack.

Yes, that's exactly the reason they sucked. Jeez, retarded fanboys out of arguments are the funniest thing ever. Reminds me of some fucktard who defended in the same way the "gameplay" in Fahrenheit. BUT ITS AWESOME U DONT LIEK IT CUZ YOU DONT HAVE THE SKILLZ>

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Oh and crafting and enchanting are the new stretch goal. Get ready to be swarmed with a shitload of crafting/enchanting substances and create 100 swords of fire +5 like a goddamn factory ala NWN2. After loot tables this is the perfect way to fuck up the items in the game and spend a huge amount of your time micromanaging your inventory which will be full of identical junk.

The only crafting that I really enjoyed is the one in BG2 where you could find parts of unique items and get a talented smith to forge them into a unique item. But I doubt this is what they're thinking.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
That depends on the rarity of craftable items, plus I hope it's dependable on your crafting skill. Meaning you can only craft Holy Avengers +5 when your skill is high enough (godlike even).

Cynic

Arcane
Oh and crafting and enchanting are the new stretch goal. Get ready to be swarmed with a shitload of crafting/enchanting substances and create 100 swords of fire +5 like a goddamn factory ala NWN2. After loot tables this is the perfect way to fuck up the items in the game and spend a huge amount of your time micromanaging your inventory which will be full of identical junk.

The only crafting that I really enjoyed is the one in BG2 where you could find parts of unique items and get a talented smith to forge them into a unique item. But I doubt this is what they're thinking.

ToEE crafting was quite well done too I thought. NWN2's was just retarded.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
THIS! This was the best crafting systems ever. Crafting new items was really special in that game. NWN1 also had something similar IIRC.

I hope that is what they are thinking, because I hate crafting where you create dozens of useless junk (ala MMOs or Fallout NV).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
If you have proper hand-eye coordination, which you lack.

Yes, that's exactly the reason they sucked. Jeez, retarded fanboys out of arguments are the funniest thing ever. Reminds me of some fucktard who defended in the same way the "gameplay" in Fahrenheit. BUT ITS AWESOME U DONT LIEK IT CUZ YOU DONT HAVE THE SKILLZ>
OK hotshot, tell me why those minigame sucked!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
How we look at it, rather than going with a memorization system for spells, in particular, we can use a cool down system. It's a similar balancing system without requireing the whole resting for spells. As for ablities being on that timer, D&D also had certain abilities that could only be used a certain number of times per day - again we want to mimic that with a cool down system.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

b4dtls.jpg

That fucking does it.

To be quite perfectly honest, this is a complete dealbreaker to me. I loathe cooldowns in almost every possible way, get that shit back to fucking mmorpgs where it belongs.

Also, almost each time I read anything Sawyer has to say about design makes me want to rage. Screw this, I've remained positive for most of the time, trying to ignore the bouts of retardation, but this is just too much. I'll be waiting for the game to be released and then decide whether it's worth throwing my dorra at it.

Oldschool my arse, more like oldsKOOL

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
abilities that could only be used a certain number of times per day - again we want to mimic that with a cool down system.

:hmmm: How?

RK47

Patron
THIS! This was the best crafting systems ever. Crafting new items was really special in that game. NWN1 also had something similar IIRC.

I hope that is what they are thinking, because I hate crafting where you create dozens of useless junk (ala MMOs or Fallout NV).

That ... reallly isn't crafting.
It's like a quest reward.
You simply fetch something after killing a quest (dragon scales), then turn it in for an item reward (maybe spend an amount of gold in doing so)
This isn't really crafting per se.

And no, I dislike crafting. MMO or not.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

That ... reallly isn't crafting.
It's like a quest reward.
You simply fetch something after killing a quest (dragon scales), then turn it in for an item reward (maybe spend an amount of gold in doing so)
This isn't really crafting per se.

And no, I dislike crafting. MMO or not.
Well...yes, but if I am the one, who makes those very rare items using the dragon scales, it is crafting.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
sea said:
Various flamboyant stuff

Why do you have to be so goddamn flamboyant?

Why the fuck are you picking on Sawyer? You were sucking his dick a few weeks ago, but now he is a bad developer.

I dunno maybe that's because a few weeks ago, Sawyer was not even opening his mouth on design publically en masse, and people couldn't read some of the absolutely fucking retarded things he has to say? Like, say, his ramblings about "rogues being redundant because of levitation and invisibility spells" or how "resting is a toxic mechanic" because lul hey it's impossible to limit it properly amirite, like in say KotC and Frayed Knights that have been developed in some fucking basements by amateurs, better introduce cooldowns they are much more balanced and visceral. If a red flag was not popping up in your head each time you read his posts about design there's something really fucking wrong with you, simple as that.

No more fucking free rides.

jewboy

Arbiter
I'm really butthurt about cooldowns, even a mana pool is beeter than that crap.

Oh and loot tables... Fuck that shit ! It's the easy way out and it sucks. One of the things BG did well was the specified loot for each container/NPC, but it requires work and good planning.

What's next ? Level scaled Dragon Age trash mobs ? If Obsidian doesn't have the will and the resources to put down some serious work and create a true old-school IE-style RPG with detailed encounter and loot design, they should drop this deal and go back to making crappy sequels.

:x

Ask and ye shall receive

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Well, it's good that they show their true colors while the Kickstarter is still in progress. It seems they created a wrong impression by saying they want a Baldur's Gate experience. This is about as BG as Dragon Age 2 is.

Modifying my pledge downwards.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Let me put salt on our wounds guys:
OBSIDIAN KICKSTARTER ANNOUNCED.
The dream game that the Codex always wanted was at hand, Torment' s writing, Arcanum' s character system, Fallout's multiple solutions to quests, TOEE's combat, HERE WE COME.
:yeah:

OBSIDIAN KICKSTARTER GOES LIVE
A spiritual successor to the Infinity engine games, practically Baldur' s gate III.
Oh well, still :incline:.

SEVERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS LATER
Practically it will be Dragon age III.
:hmmm:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You know, its really pathetic that once Obsidian gets to make whatever game they want, they decide to remake a BioWare game.

RK47

Patron
Why would anyone even need scaled encounters in a non sandbox game where most XP gains are pre-scripted?
Quite baffling.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
This has taken quite a hilarious turn. :lol:

After hearing that this was supposed to be RTwP, I decided to wait until they confirmed something really fantastic to make me pledge. Seems like I won't have to worry about that anymore.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Let me put salt on our wounds guys:
OBSIDIAN KICKSTARTER ANNOUNCED.
The dream game that the Codex always wanted was at hand, Torment' s writing, Arcanum' s character system, Fallout's multiple solutions to quests, TOEE's combat, HERE WE COME.
:yeah:

OBSIDIAN KICKSTARTER GOES LIVE
A spiritual successor to the Infinity engine games, practically Baldur' s gate III.
Oh well, still :incline:.

SEVERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS LATER
Practically it will be Dragon age III.
:hmmm:
It will be worse than Dragon Age III. At least Dragon Age III will be made with the glorious Frostbyte engine, so at least our inner graphics whores will be satisfied. P:E doesn't have even that going for it. We should use the P:E KS campaign as a reference and create a documentary about HOW NOT TO run a KS campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom