Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At this point, if I HAD backed the project, I'd be withdrawing my funding until more details emerge. There's time for them to get their act together on it, KS provides you the power to vote with your wallet rather than just bitching on forums. Josh Sawyer has proven true to his roots and is going after as much jew gold as he can.

Members of the prestigious Codex, withdraw your pledges. Show them that this shit will not fly. They have 2 weeks to get the money back with solid updates including actual substance. Right now they are just leading everyone along and then pulling dick moves as they go. Fuck that shit.
I can't not buy MCA writing.

I'm *bound* to him.

:cry:

What I am saying is if you are unhappy with the current state of the KS campaign, withdraw the pledge. You can always put the money in later or, you know, wait till the game is actually released to see if the actual game that carries this writing is worth buying. Right now I see no reason to support their KS campaign, as they have put absolutely NOTHING of substance down on the table other than some banal shit boring art and a handful of SENTENCES together with some very shitty videos.
At this point I have a morbid curiosity to see it through.

Give them as much money as possible and just see all the ways they screw it up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game will be great whatever you think. Go play with Dragon Age boys if you don't want to support this. :smug:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Go play with Dragon Age boys

J_C cannot into reality. YOU will play Dragon Age. Maybe a better written one, but Dragon Age nevertheless.

Fanboys gonna fanboy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Go play with Dragon Age boys

J_C cannot into reality. YOU will play Dragon Age. Maybe a better written one, but Dragon Age nevertheless.

Fanboys gonna fanboy.
If they improve some of its mechanic, I'm OK with that. I don't care about RTwP, I can bear with kooldowns (although I don't prefer that).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, shit's so bad you can't even do Dragon Age with publishers? Or is Dragon Age the game Obsidian always wanted to make?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Holy shit. Looks like VotS was right. This is not looking good at all. It's hard for me to believe that Tim "ToEE" Cain thinks cooldowns are a viable option. This sort of comment reminds me that Sawyer doesn't have much of a track record. He hasn't proven himself like Avellone or Cain.

Proven himself with what? Icewind Dale, NWN2 and New Vegas don't count?
Icewind Dale II: worst IE game ever
NWN2: he worked on it but wasn't the lead - he may just as well be the water boy of the team
New Vegas: the game turned out in spite of him, not because of him

His resumee is formed of him being lead on IWD2, which is shit and FO:NV, which is just a statistical anomaly for Sawyer, and, probably, good despite of Sawyer, not because of him. Everything else that he did were just failed projects or projects in which he was just a foot soldier. Conclusion: he's a hopeless hipster and it amazes me how some people keep lionizing him as some legendary developer when, in fact, he's a pathetic schmuck.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Isn't he the one that supposedly "saved" NWN2? One can only wonder what it would have been without him. Must have been a catastrophe if what we got is considered "saved".
Although I figure "saved" means they managed to get it out. Hurray for Sawyer.
So yeah, I really don't see what he's done save for talking a lot of stupid shit and being an arrogant asshole.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You guys are so retarded. Pure, simple minded, plain retards. Why the fuck are you picking on Sawyer? You were sucking his dick a few weeks ago, but now he is a bad developer. I hope Obsidian won't listen to your feedback, so the game will make you rage.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The way i understand it is the original lead on NWN2 left for bioware mid development and sawyer took over, saving what could be saved. As for IWD2, wasn't it a slam dunk project when they had canceled both BG3 and F3 (two games he was lead on iirc?)? I think he literally wrote all of the story and characters for IWD2 over a weekend or something. In the case of NV, much of the ideas came from PnP sessions with MCA, but they were reworked by sawyer. Also the system tweaks in NV (very good changes) can be largely credited with sawyer.

I honestly think he has done good in regards to the slam dunk nature of most of his projects. Nobody really knows the reason for why his projects get canceled a lot, but if it's because of him i guess that's bad.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm really butthurt about cooldowns, even a mana pool is beeter than that crap.

Oh and loot tables... Fuck that shit ! It's the easy way out and it sucks. One of the things BG did well was the specified loot for each container/NPC, but it requires work and good planning.

What's next ? Level scaled Dragon Age trash mobs ? If Obsidian doesn't have the will and the resources to put down some serious work and create a true old-school IE-style RPG with detailed encounter and loot design, they should drop this deal and go back to making crappy sequels.

:x

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are paying for jack shit. You are giving them money with a vain hope that they will make a game you will like, no input into the design process guaranteed. Sorta like taxes.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You guys are so retarded. Pure, simple minded, plain retards. Why the fuck are you picking on Sawyer? You were sucking his dick a few weeks ago, but now he is a bad developer. I hope Obsidian won't listen to your feedback, so the game will make you rage.

Now that is not OK JC.

We are paying for it right? And to be perfectly honest we are one of the few people making some reasonable criticism as long as we can justify it.
But you rule out any possibilites about the game being good. Even if it will have some kind of cooldown system, we don't know how will it work. It seems to me that it won't be a pure cooldown system like in DAO for example, they can do something interesting with it, yet everybody is giving shit to the devs. Same with RTwP.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The combat in DAO was hurt by the cooldown system, but it was crippled by the boring repetive adversaries who mimiced all the painful, uncreative tropes of an mmo; tank, melee dps, ranged dps, healer, etc.

Captain Shrek

J_C

Well. I haven't seen any reasonable arguments against cooldowns. I have some I think are reasonable but I will post them in the other thread later. As to RTwP there is a thread right across and you can find very reasonable arguments against it.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

Now that is not OK JC.

We are paying for it right? And to be perfectly honest we are one of the few people making some reasonable criticism as long as we can justify it.
But you rule out any possibilites about the game being good. Even if it will have some kind of cooldown system, we don't know how will it work. It seems to me that it won't be a pure cooldown system like in DAO for example, they can do something interesting with it, yet everybody is giving shit to the devs. Same with RTwP.
Nobody has ever made a cooldown system that doesn't suck. It negates every possibility of tactics and planning and always boils down to spamming which spell can do the most damage with the least amount of regen time. It's fucking shit.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Or maybe he wanted to make games that don't appeal to the masses.

:lol:

Just like Dragon Age.

I hope Obsidian won't listen to your feedback, so the game will make you rage.

Well, as opposed to you, I'm a nice guy so I hope Obsidian listens to your feedback (EVERYTHING YOU DO IS AWESUM GUYS PLEASE CUM ON MY FACE) and will have great minigames like those of Alpha Protocol that you enjoyed so much, so you will love the game. :thumbsup:

Cynic

Arcane
J_C severe butthurt detected

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom