Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like there's going to be another one of those Tim Cain Reddit Q&As this weekend.

And oh look, they split up the forums. Take over that Game Mechanics board, Codex.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Is there anything known about the workings of their proposed crafting system (via some recent interview or something)?

I mean I could live with herbalism and potion brewing ala the Witcher if that's what they are aiming for. I could however not live with some kind of dull 'gather materials' enchanting system (imagine enchanting some famous lore-heavy weapon :rpgcodex:). And don't even get me started on smithing; that's a feat that should stay with NPC's like Thunderhammer and Cromwell.

MCA
For all of you with reddit accounts maybe you could upvote this question so that it gets answered by Tim Cain~

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteter..._from_tim_cain_and_another_reddit_q_a/c6gxt35

Come on, cocksuckers, make this happen. I am dying to see Tim Cain marketspeak eg. "things of that kind are more in line with PNPs and we want to create something made for computer from ground up".

I'm getting the unhappy foreboding feeling that Sawyer wants the party to automatically regain all spells, HP and be revived after every single encounter. If only we knew more...

That probably is how PE will turn out. KOOL-downs with no rounds with near-invincible companions and streamlined character development.

I'm genuinely baffled. Obsidian simply doesn't have it in themselves to produce an old school hardcore RPG. They are storyfags with a priority of simplifying shit for the players. Not to say IE games were old school or hardcore, though they could be quite tactical at times. PE will likely turn out to be a complete dumbed down piece of shit compared to IE games. At the very least, it won't look as good is certain since I doubt will actually do 2D backgrounds.

In near future, the average Codexer will look back in disbelief and name this period "The PE Incident" when Codex entered a collective hysteria and happily ignored all the red flags which signalled that the PE would be a piece of suck.

Based on what exactly? We know MORE about PE than we do Wasteland 2. Which indecently is still in TRUST US! IT WILL WE AWESOME. A game, by IneXile.

Case in point. Sadly, some members of the Codex will never recover from The PE Incident. They will live a wretched life in denial.

Spockrock

Augur
Sawyer is NOT a bro.

There are so many solutions to this problem, but of course, all of them will make the game more challenging
you mean "more shit". if in your book walking back and forth between empty locations is "challenging" you need your head checked

Black

Arcane
The goal/vision of this project is to capture the magic (old school feeling) of the Infinity Engine games.
I wish I could back out, even though I didn't even pledge. What is this magic? Bad combat? Terrible optimization? Long loading times? No pathfinding at all? Not to repeat what I said on Obsi forums, but I expected more from Obsidian that finally gained some independence. But maybe their way of showing they're big boys now is by uh, imitating IE games. Apparently they've worked on too many original projects and got fed up.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
you mean "more shit". if in your book walking back and forth between empty locations is "challenging" you need your head checked

If you think cooldowns can be done well, or, even more important, Obsidian can do them well, you need to have your head checked.

And he actually said many solutions. That doesn't mean "walking back and forth between empty locations". But I see you decided to parrot Sawyer's retarded arguments and think you're smart for doing so.

I guarantee you this, cooldowns will be either:
- wait to recharge or
- recharge after combat

It will suck. Period.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

If you think cooldowns can be done well, or, even more important, Obsidian can do them well, you need to have your head checked.

And he actually said many solutions. That doesn't mean "walking back and forth between empty locations". But I see you decided to parrot Sawyer's retarded arguments and think you're smart for doing so.

I guarantee you this, cooldowns will be either:
- wait to recharge or
- recharge after combat

It will suck. Period.

Am I allowed to be annoyingly smug to you if your prediction falls flat?

No, I don't believe *Obsidian* can do them well. I believe Cain (foremost) and Sawyer can.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The goal/vision of this project is to capture the magic (old school feeling) of the Infinity Engine games.
I wish I could back out, even though I didn't even pledge. What is this magic? Bad combat? Terrible optimization? Long loading times? No pathfinding at all? Not to repeat what I said on Obsi forums, but I expected more from Obsidian that finally gained some independence. But maybe their way of showing they're big boys now is by uh, imitating IE games. Apparently they've worked on too many original projects and got fed up.

o_O You're acting like this is news to you. We've known that from day one. Why the fuck are you even paying attention to this thread if an Infinity Engine spiritual successor is anathema to you?

Black

Arcane
Because I thought Obsidian may make something good when on their own and nobody to blame.
It was silly, I admit. But now I'll be paying attention because I love Codex x Obsidian drama!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Still lots of people with tunnel vision itt :lol:

"Bawwwwwww bring back resting"
"But there is resting."
"Bawwwwwww I'm going to have a knee-jerk reaction to this other extremely vague idea you have that might turn out well after proper prototyping/playtesting"

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
villain of the story Do you feel bad for missing the opportunity for a perfect moment of ultimate smugness when cooldowns were confirmed two days ago?

It was? Sheeeeeet. I was busy and couldn't keep up with the frequency of updates and all the interviews. Could you link to it?

On the other hand...

:smug:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...at-you-get-for-your.76539/page-3#post-2292168

Still lots of people with tunnel vision itt :lol:

"Bawwwwwww bring back resting"
"But there is resting."
"Bawwwwwww I'm going to have a knee-jerk reaction to this other extremely vague idea you have that might turn out well after proper prototyping/playtesting"

Better to rage now when there's still a chance to make a difference than to rage impotently after it's too late. Let it all out, I say.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Better to rage now when there's still a chance to make a difference than to rage impotently after it's too late. Let it all out, I say.
Knee-jerk raging over vague concepts isn't constructive criticism, it's noise. If it turns out to be a bad mechanic, it won't make it into the final game more-than-likely (considering there's no publisher).
3325uvn.png

RPG Codex: "Vocal" Players.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Knee-jerk raging over vague concepts isn't constructive criticism, it's noise. If it turns out to be a bad mechanic, it won't make it into the final game more-than-likely (considering there's no publisher).

(image)

RPG Codex: Smart Players.

Fixed. :love:

If you've read the Obsidian boards - and I know you have - you know that the Codex posters know how to make their case intelligently.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"RPG Codex" is arguing against "player's experience" in favor of their "expectation" so no, they aren't. :) Sawyer's already deadset on trying the spells-recharge-between-battles-via-cooldown idea, and if it doesn't make it in it'll be because it sucked, not because several dozen people told him they hate cooldowns.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
"RPG Codex" is arguing against "player's experience" in favor of their "expectation" so no, they aren't. :) Sawyer's already deadset on trying the spells-recharge-between-battles-via-cooldown idea, and if it doesn't make it in it'll be because it sucked, not because several dozen people told him they hate cooldowns.

Somekind of spells-recharge-between-battles-via-cooldown can work, as someone said in the PE forums said it could work as "One charge recharges every 10 minutes" what can actually work without giving players chance of spamming the spells.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer's already deadset on trying the spells-recharge-between-battles-via-cooldown idea,

In other words: tunnel-vision?
It's only tunnel-vision if it's bad and stays in (in that case it would be "not considering player experience over a design idea"). Right now it's "I think this is the best solution for this particular game." :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom