Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Lonely man wants to chat while playing game: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61144-mad-mad-man/

You mean: works with slow, huge infantry units on a battle field, all of which aren't even remotely as complex as an RPG character. With single characters that might change positions every few seconds, it would probably be very finicky.

Yes, luckily we only have 6 of those to control, not 20. :troll:
The scale is different, which is exactly what makes it easier in TW. The distance covered by a cavalry unit is probably much larger than that of a handful of adventurers in a dungeon room. It takes a while in TW. It also takes a while for the enemy units to escape the charge, because, again, they are hundreds of soldiers fighting in a formation. That makes them slower than, say, a nimble individual thief.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The scale is different, which is exactly what makes it easier in TW. The distance covered by a cavalry unit is probably much larger than that of a handful of adventurers in a dungeon room. It takes a while in TW. It also takes a while for the enemy units to escape the charge, because, again, they are hundreds of soldiers fighting in a formation. That makes them slower than, say, a nimble individual thief.

No shit, didn't you see the troll emoticon?

But yeah, my point is, it's not inconceivable that they could make it work. Certainly in IE combat I felt that formation was underutilized, which is why I made a thread about it: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...n-like-them-so-much-why-not-make-them-deeper/

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The spell system seems interesting. A nice middle ground between vancian and mmo styles might end up being better than both. The ability to construct various grimiores sounds especially fascinating. I'm willing to concede that too many special combat maneuvers are weeaboo as fuck, but it can still be a decent way of adding tactical depth to a party-based crpg. These design points are clearly ideas they've been throwing around the table for years, and I'm actually gaining confidence in their ability to pull this thing off.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I must have logged off the planet for a few days. Where does Josh say he is against cooldowns and would have nothing of the sorts ?

Not against cooldowns in general. Against cooldowns DURING combat (as opposed to cooldowns for replenishing spells BETWEEN combats)

Oh, "that". Let's not go into "that" again.

As of now I want stretch goal to play a "priest of Cain". Once per day I can cast a spell that will turn friendly fire off in some other guy's game. Rest-scumming indeed. :smug:

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2

No shit, didn't you see the troll emoticon?

But yeah, my point is, it's not inconceivable that they could make it work. Certainly in IE combat I felt that formation was underutilized, which is why I made a thread about it: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60...n-like-them-so-much-why-not-make-them-deeper/
Oh, sorry. Got me there.
The TW series is the only game series that has managed to actually make RTwP work, in my opinion, exactly because of the scale of things and the window of reaction that you have. Adding formation to the IE games would probably make them unplayable for me, since it would increase the micromanagement aspect even more.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Adding formation to the IE games would probably make them unplayable for me, since it would increase the micromanagement aspect even more.

I think if they automated it, it could work (eg, literally one button push to get your guys in formation, as long as they're close enough to each other)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, I see I'm late to the party, but Jaesun and J_C: what became off "We already know they won't employ cooldowns during combat!"

Fuck you for making me believe.

Jaesun said:
The cooldowns are a given. They WILL be in the game. If I had to GUESS (based on us making the HARDCORE MODE OPTION Milestone) I am going to think they may do an IE like option you can select that will mimic the IE type of combat, as in memorization and cooldown like mix. Just like the cooldown spells that are actually in the IE games.

Why do you lie?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
So, I see I'm late to the party, but Jaesun and J_C: what became off "We already know they won't employ cooldowns during combat!"

Jaesun said:
The cooldowns are a given. They WILL be in the game. If I had to GUESS (based on us making the HARDCORE MODE OPTION Milestone) I am going to think they may do an IE like option you can select that will mimic the IE type of combat, as in memorization and cooldown like mix. Just like the cooldown spells that are actually in the IE games.

Why do you lie?

DURING combat, Jaesun.

Cynic

Arcane
Define "substance".
Something tangible I can understand aside from "this feature sucks because I hate it and it didn't exist in games I liked that were made 15-20+ years ago" or "these games with WoW-style cooldowns suck so this game with a different kind of cooldown will also suck, somehow."
This is why ToEE ranks as one of my most favourite RPG experiences in recent history, it is above the IE games for me. I love good stories too, but it's been quite rare that a story in a game has been all that great.
You mean the game you played for the first time a year ago?

If you love old school gaming experiences, the core principles of which are being positively RAPED by Tim Cain, why don't you hearken back to those? I don't know why you keep bringing up games you're not very familiar with. You haven't even beaten Baldur's Gate or played NWN 1 or 2, so I don't know what you're basing all this fury on. They're modifying the Infinity Engine AD&D systems, which were featured prominently in games you haven't even explored.

LOL I played BG saga all through when it came out retard.

I played PS:T when it came out retard.

I bought ToEE when it came out retard (abandoned due to constant bugs)

Fucking Hell you win dumbfuck of the year that's for sure.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, suejak, the most retarded butthurt moron available currently on the Codex. And btw, he uses the same retardation on everybody. Not too long ago he was throwing a tantrum at VD telling him he's probably "around" longer than him and that he doesn't remember him from here or NMA.

So yeah, fucking retarded newfag playing the oldfag card. Hilarious.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There were people had highish expectations for the combat? o_O

Yes. Publishers didn't let them do it before... right?

Jeez fuck, I have to ask again, why the fuck do they need Kickstarter if they don't improve on anything they did before? I can't wait until this game is released and Obsitards will cry that you couldn't expect anything more from Obsidian and that it's good for what it is.

Lord Andre

Arcane
It's fun seeing sawyer's fan-boys scramble to find a footing after this update. "Cooldowns with a twist":lol: You're right we never saw that one coming.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Jaesun said:

Why do you lie?

DURING combat, Jaesun.

*cough* er I really shouldn't post until I've had my second cup of coffee for the day. :oops:

Anyways, as I also said earlier there is NO mass spamming OF ALL SPELLS in combat (like the retarded WOW/DA shit). 7:06 An example we came up with for wizards, we are not sure we are going to do this [site example]. His example sounds interesting and very BG2/IWD like. I am sure it will go through a number of different tweaks and iterations. Also he never mentioned this system being tied to the difficulty, which could also be another option.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Yeah, suejak, the most retarded butthurt moron available currently on the Codex. And btw, he uses the same retardation on everybody. Not too long ago he was throwing a tantrum at VD telling him he's probably "around" longer than him and that he doesn't remember him from here or NMA.

So yeah, fucking retarded newfag playing the oldfag card. Hilarious.
I feel like I embarrassed you in another thread, but I can't really remember. You didn't really leave an impression :/

VD is a dumb game designer, I dunno. Then, like everybody does here, he flipped out over my registration date like that means something. Yawn.

Anyway, cynic, you're right about the BG thing, so sorry. You said you were "trying to finish it for the 7th time," and did a live report thread in which you asked lots of questions ("Are there more mage companions in this game?" "Am I going to have a chance to do ____ later?"), so I misunderstood. Not sure why you bought and played BG in 1998 but not Fallout 1 in 1997.

Whatever. This conversation is boring until you say Tim Cain's a traitor again.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
There were people had highish expectations for the combat? o_O

Yes. Publishers didn't let them do it before... right?

Jeez fuck, I have to ask again, why the fuck do they need Kickstarter if they don't improve on anything they did before? I can't wait until this game is released and Obsitards will cry that you couldn't expect anything more from Obsidian and that it's good for what it is.

Well, i'm betting it'll be better than Deus Ex HR, if it's as good or worse than that, then i'll be pissed.

Also if Obsidian fails here then I can atleast start ignoring everything they do, like I've done with Bioware & Beth for near the past decade, to me that piece of mind is worth $30.

Edit; As an aside Infinity Engine combat was pretty meh, it's not like the bar's been set very high here (but it is Obsidian we're talking about).

jewboy

Arbiter
Suejak, what was computer gaming like in 1980 and what kind of computer did you have? Also what was your previous Codex username?

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Suejak, what was computer gaming like in 1980 and what kind of computer did you have? Also what was your previous Codex username?
I was born in 1986, homie. I grew up with 486 processors and DOS 6.

I don't remember my original Codex forum name. It was either TheKaje or Kaje or some permutation of those letters. Might have been Suejak. Anyway, I fought a lot with Saint_Proverbius and Rosh on DaC, the BIS forums, and other places. Rosh basically hated me.

All I can find:

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/p...le&u=740&sid=ecd05e9d734471da9033310424a55c22

http://planescape.outshine.com/crap.planescape-torment.org/threads/chris_prophecy2.html

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=909

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=909;sa=showPosts

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Yeah, I don't even know if that's my original account. I sorta faded off after I graduated high school, but I've sadly regressed :declining:

EDIT: Wait. Bizarrely, that ain't me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Rosh basically hated me.

:lol:
Somehow I had a feeling you're one who has been butthurt by Roshambo.

I was born in 1986, homie. I grew up with 486 processors and DOS 6.

Wow, fucking impressive. You totally leveled everybody.

Also, fuck off. Seriously.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Wait. Bizarrely, that ain't me.

:lol:

Now I'm curious. Try to think of something you may have said on the Codex once, or a big flamewar you were in. We can search for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom