Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Looks like I missed all the fun. :(

They seem to not want to 'penalise' you later for using up spells/resources in one encounter, which is a bit disappointing. Cain ignored the bit about overall resource management in my question, instead focusing on the per-battle part.

We did make the HARD CORE mode milestone, a number of which various options could be introduced that may be more fitting to your liking.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cain ignored the bit about overall resource management in my question, instead focusing on the per-battle part.

That's not surprising. It's obvious that they're still deliberating over that part. They haven't decided yet how punishing it should be. Maybe they want to make the game first and then playtest/tweak it.

Something like say a kind of reagent system in HARD CORE mode could possibly be interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know, I somehow doubt that the fundamentals of the magic system will be changed by any hardcore mode. But we'll see.

Captain Shrek

Cain ignored the bit about overall resource management in my question, instead focusing on the per-battle part.

That's not surprising. It's obvious that they're still deliberating over that part. They haven't decided yet how punishing it should be. Maybe they want to make the game first and then playtest/tweak it.

Something like say a kind of reagent system in HARD CORE mode could possibly be interesting.

Believing in fairy tales. That shit will never be made again. You homos don't deserve it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think a system where lower-level spells gradually become castable with no limitations can be interesting, in that it makes mighty high level mages much mightier. The difference between a hedge wizard and an Elminster-equivalent suddenly becomes much more tangible.

See that high level wizard? He's not going to run out of fireballs to throw at you, EVER. No cheesing your way out of this encounter!

Captain Shrek

I think a system where lower-level spells gradually become castable with no limitations can be interesting, in that it makes mighty high level mages much mightier. The difference between a hedge wizard and an Elminster-equivalent suddenly becomes much more tangible.

See that high level wizard? He's not going to run out of fireballs to throw at you, EVER. No cheesing your way out of this encounter!
Yup.

Except that his Ai will be retarded and the first spell you will cast will be save or die. He will cast fireball. You will take damage. He will die.

EDIt: Did I mention you will regen that spell per battle?

Also, if skills do not work we will remove them. Sounds a lot like DA2 streamlining.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Except that his Ai will be retarded and the first spell you will cast will be save or die. He will cast fireball. You will take damage. He will die.

:lol: You know this game will be made regardless of whether you are pessimistic or not, right?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

It's an interesting concept -- I'm not sure I love the idea of unlimited spells, even for high level wizards. Half of the point of being a wizard in RPGs (to me at least) has always been making appropriate and clever use of the resources at hand while balancing out the drawbacks, not just spamming the best spells over and over. D&D had some built in counters to things like this -- spell components, limited spellbook space, fatigue penalties for sorcerers, etc. That or there were penalties inherent to casting spells, such as haste aging the recipient.

Granted, these things don't translate all that well to CRPGs, where things have to be simplified due to the inherent limits of being bound by things other than the GMs imagination, but the basic concept behind having restrictions of wizards is sound. A high level wizard should be characterized by his/her wit, resourcefulness, and subtlety, not by being a walking fireball factory.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They should have used Vancian-style casting.
In before Vancian-haters fail to offer a better alternative.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I agree that this "hurr mages don't have actions they can do over and over like the fighters" thing is pretty dumb. They're different classes. And surprisingly people still play mages.
If a mage will be equivalent with a fighter spewing out arrows, then what the hell? The choice will be then only if you like to see cool explosions or cool fighting animations. What's with this stupid over-balancing? It's not a fucking multiplayer PvP game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They should have used Vancian-style casting.
In before Vancian-haters fail to offer a better alternative.

That could be tied to the HARD CORE mode option. And I personally would like to see that. IF they could design encounters with that in mind. But I don't know.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
A high level wizard should be characterized by his/her wit, resourcefulness, and subtlety, not by being a walking fireball factory.

Certainly. But I do feel that uber-level wizards should have the ability to be a "walking fireball factory". That's how they are described in the lore, as nigh-invincible masters of the elements.

But when you look at the mechanics of a Vancian system they seem rather mundane. Remember this line from BG? "Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!"

jewboy

Arbiter
Well it might be interesting to play a game with god-like mages for a short period of time at least. Imagine the power of a mage that can spam Time Stop and Wail of the Banshee or other AoE instakill spells with only brief pauses in between endless castings. And then also be able to spam spells like web forever and ever. Such a character would make a mage from any cRPG I've ever played cower in fear. Even Kangaxx and Firkraag would be running for their lives. Just imagine facing a 20th level mage like that with good AI.

But somehow I don't think it will be a viable system. And obviously an all spell caster party would be the way to go in terms of min-maxing. I also have a suspicion that most of the drawbacks of playing a mage will be removed. You'll probably be able to also dual wield katanas almost as well as a dedicated fighter class. It would be weird if the enemy mages could as well. Although it's kind of pointless when you can basically spam 7-9th level spells until you are out; run and hide somewhere; and then come back recharged and spam them again. You'd be like a one man army and could probably take on entire armies of fire giants without cause for concern.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
You'll probably be able to also dual wield katanas almost as well as a dedicated fighter class.

I don't see that there's any basis for this belief.

But yeah, we should ask Josh about class equipment restrictions.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
A high level wizard should be characterized by his/her wit, resourcefulness, and subtlety, not by being a walking fireball factory.

Certainly. But I do feel that uber-level wizards should have the ability to be a "walking fireball factory". That's how they are described in the lore, as nigh-invincible masters of the elements.

When you look at the mechanics of a Vancian system they seem rather mundane. Remember this line from BG? "Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!"
Maybe. From a game mechanics point of view I just see it as being kind of boring. If the limitations of spellcasting gradually disappear then the gameplay challenge disappears with them. I suppose we'll have to just disagree on that. It's a fine balance between them being mundane as you put it, and becoming so powerful as to render all other classes pointless.

And yes, I do remember that line. The vancian system does seem a bit mundane when it's translated to a computer game, but in the PnP rules it has a great amount of depth to it. That's more based on the spell descriptions and the lore than the mechanics themselves though.

Captain Shrek

Infinitron

I am not mad with Obsidian. I am mad with you people. It seems that most either don't care or are actively slurping this shit up like faithful pig familiars.

jewboy

Arbiter
PE should really be called Rage of Mages. Maybe the story will even revolve around the immense power of magic. How it gives god-like powers to men and makes melee fighting basically into a form of suicide if you ever have to face magic in combat. Of course if they are so intent on trying to supercharge the magic system with pure awesomeness then maybe it will only take a few strikes with an average sword to kill most foes.

x4nti

Educated
I don't think we should assume that spells in PE are going to be of the power-level that they were in ad&d and 3.xE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom