Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
3) Have they clarified at all what pushing the soul awesome button will do? Is it going to be like the Arcanum fate points or something more AWSOUME?

Er... what soul button?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I have some questions and I haven't been following to closely over the last week and I am too lazy to read the previous 80 pages to see if they have been answered.

1) Have they talked about death and resurrection?
2) Have they talked about what stats will be in the game (STR,DEX, ect.)? And have they named a stat range like FO (1-10), IE (3-18), or DA (10 - 786).
3) Have they clarified at all what pushing the soul awesome button will do? Is it going to be like the Arcanum fate points or something more AWSOUME?
4) Have they talked about feats/perks?
5) Have they talked about background traits?

AFAIK, there is no so soul awesome button. The soul stuff is just lore and an explanation for your characters' heroic powers.

The answer to all of your other questions is "No".

thttpd

edit: all the talk about souls allowing ordinary people to do spectacular things makes me feel like there will be a soul button. Just saying.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I have some questions and I haven't been following to closely over the last week and I am too lazy to read the previous 80 pages to see if they have been answered.

2) Have they talked about what stats will be in the game (STR,DEX, ect.)? And have they named a stat range like FO (1-10), IE (3-18), or DA (10 - 786).

AFAIK, there is no so soul awesome button.
The modders will fix it.

wormix

Augur
edit: all the talk about souls allowing ordinary people to do spectacular things makes me feel like there will be a soul button. Just saying.
From the way I look at it, that's just handwaving the way the characters get extremely powerful very quickly. In addition to the usual flavour/story/lore reasons.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The EternityNexus modders will ruin it.

Fixed

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

The Lovers Lab modders will incline it.

Fixed.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Fixed

How long before the first nude patch?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I for one am intrigued and looking forward to messing with such a system. Seems like it will add a lot of strategy to the spell selection process during battle, which is really the heart of what we are aiming for right? As opposed to waiting for the cooldown button to clear?

I have faith.

Alex

Arcane
This certainly sounds much better, but I still think it will restrict a lot what kind of spells we have in game. First, it makes utilitarian spells like Talk to the Dead or Mount have no drawbacks. As long as your are able to cast them unlimitedly, you can just put them in a grimoire and use them out of combat, waiting for your grimoire to recharge before continuing on. What I mean is that I am afraid that this kind of spell will all be moved to very high levels or be left to some other type of mechanic. Combat spells with more quirky mechanics are probably going to be limited as well. Like, say, chromatic sphere would probably never fit this system.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Fixed

How long before the first nude patch?

This Game is going to be Button awethreesome

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...=3506352&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

o4NHz.png

MCA
This really just proves they can't win though. If AoO & flanking aren't in, it's 'lack of tactical depth'. If they are it's 'clusterfuck combat'.
If you can't create your own party it's 'storyfag party mode'. If you can it's 'drone npc followers'.

I doubt anyone at all would complain about additional combat options as "clusterfuck combat". And if we could create a party at the very beginning or near beginning, it wouldn't feel "drone NPC followers". Anyway, we will have to see how they will do it. If custom characters at Adventurer's Hall require a considerable amount of currency to create (think of JA2) and maybe even upkeep costs or other things, I will be happy. The idea of free characters you can get midgame feels just cheap.

It would be great if your custom adventurer came with a few personality traits rolled at the time of conception.

x4nti

Educated
This is how I interpreted these updates. There will be three classes of spells modelled on the way abilities are divided in 4E (At-will, Encounter and Daily). Their tweak is
1) to make encounter abilities (that would in 4E only be usable once per encounter) limited by cooldown which replenishes inside the encounter
2) to make Encounters and Dailys eventually become At-wills.

I think both of these tweaks are bad. Let me explain why. In 4E At-wills are very limited in what they can do, they're generally just a damage spell with possible some small AoE. Encounter abilities have on the average a more profound effect. They can possibly have status- and/or environment changes in addition to doing damage. Dailys have the most extreme effect and could on occasions turn the tide of a battle completely (e.g. Sleep). I would argue that these are different categories of abilities and you shouldn't be able spam the highly powerful daily as it would be a ray of frost.

That "encounter abilities" will refresh inside the battle is just a munchkins wet dream. It's so obviously exploitable with the kite and nuke strategy.

(This is just in comparison to 4E. I mean compared to earlier d&d there are other things to criticize, like the fact that spells are gimped.)

MCA
This whole cool down bullshit could be peacefully resolved through casting times. The problem with cool downs is that you use spell or ability and then immediately switch to another while that you can use while the former cools down. Instead, make it so that the cool down period corresponds to casting time. It will also be more tactical because your mage could be interrupted while casting. And maybe increase the casting time of a spell by a small margin when you spam it so you either need to alternate between casting different spells or wait a while before spamming. Is this not a good incentive against spamming?

And how is this not a cool-down? Because it doesn't downgrade spell casting to a gamist system and it is more interesting.

Likewise with switching Grimoires. Since Grimoires are a big deal, it should take some sort of time-taking ritual, invocation, something, to switch from one to another. Except this time, there is the danger of being interrupted. There again, cool down problem solved in a far better tactical way.

And isn't this how this stuff was dealt with in IE games anyway? IWD series introduced a combat-casting feat simply for this purpose, to define a more combat oriented spell caster role. They are trying to reinvent the fucking wheel using the shittiest substitutes.

piydek

Cipher
all the talk about souls allowing ordinary people to do spectacular things makes me feel like there will be a soul button. Just saying.

Dude, it's not a gameplay mechanic thing, it's lore...the way to explain magic, how it works, perhaps even its very existence. I know we're all traumatized by Dragon ages and years of various forms of decline, but relax a bit.

Anyway, i really like how this all is turning out. If they manage to put it all together well and if they manage to achieve the hardest - the gameplay to feel right - I'm quite confident this game is going to kick ass. From what they haven't talked about / shown, I just hope for nice, well-rounded and distinct art in game.

Arkadin

Arcane
This has me a little more intrigued. The grimoires sound like they could be interesting items in the gameworld. Hopefully they adjust for pace -- or the difficulty levels account for it -- so that switching between them in battle is quite dangerous, if they're going to allow it. They should completely incapacitate the spellcaster while he's changing grimoires. Could make for some fun risk/reward.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ITT: A few babies QQ over Sawyer and Cain trying to emulate the at-will/encounters/dailies spell-casting system of 4e D&D. Just as I thought they would. Sounds fun. M:
Today I found out some of the idiots itt don't understand what a "daily" is.

Also yes souls give combat classes superpowers.
Though it may not look like it to see them in battle next to wizards and priests, fighters are just as able to tap into the power of their souls to devastating effect: accelerating their attacks to a superhuman speed, striking foes with such power that nearby opponents are knocked off their feet, and maintaining a phenomenal endurance that allows them to rapidly bounce back from even terrible wounds.
their affinity for skullduggery allows some talented rogues to tap into their souls to perform amazing stunts: fading from view in plain sight, briefly cloaking their allies in a veil of shadow, imbuing their weapons with a soul-eating venom, or even becoming so insubstantial that blades barely hurt them.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Gyshall posted:

I'm so glad rope kid is in charge of this game and not the guys in this thread, jesus christ.

What, you don't want to play the completely innovative title with reverse-levelling, no inventory or equipment system, 100% equal LGBT representation, featuring pale frail fighters going toe to toe with eight foot tall musclewizards this thread has been debating about for the last 50 or so pages?

:lol:

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Also yes souls give combat classes superpowers.
Though it may not look like it to see them in battle next to wizards and priests, fighters are just as able to tap into the power of their souls to devastating effect: accelerating their attacks to a superhuman speed, striking foes with such power that nearby opponents are knocked off their feet, and maintaining a phenomenal endurance that allows them to rapidly bounce back from even terrible wounds.
their affinity for skullduggery allows some talented rogues to tap into their souls to perform amazing stunts: fading from view in plain sight, briefly cloaking their allies in a veil of shadow, imbuing their weapons with a soul-eating venom, or even becoming so insubstantial that blades barely hurt them.
Somehow it made me think of DA2, gigantic swords and other jrpgish stuff.

PE is gonna be awesome.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
WHY DO YOU KEEP FUCKING TAGGING ME, INFINITRON.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom