Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Krash

Arcane
:what:

Man this thread

Should it be linked in the best tread ever (pt3)? Sure feels like it.

Just because someone has less time to play a game doesn't mean he automatically wants that game to be less hard(core).

True, but most people do, and in fact, the simplest way for devs to "cater" to people like that is to simplify and/or dumb down. You can see the results in these last few years. It works good for everyone, games are now about 4 hours long. :smug:

Nigro

Educated
You guys think this game will be for the Casuals?
But Sawyer told us about the iron man and other modes

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
How do you plan to deal with HP regeneration between combat encounters and is there "permanent death" like in the IE games? Also is there some sort of mana or other magic resource required for casting spells?

I haven't thought through a lot of the details, but I was considering something similar to Darklands, where characters have both Endurance and Health. Most damage taken in combat would Endurance, which is relatively easy to restore (through abilities and magic) and regenerates rapidly on its own, both in and out of combat. Damage to Health would be more serious and much harder to restore (probably only through consumables and/or rest). Having your Endurance lowered to 0 would knock the character out. Having your Health knocked to 0 would kill the character outright (though there may be some optional, lesser version of this effect for non-Expert players).

We've talked about characters having a mana-like soul resource for using abilities, but I don't know that it's necessary.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Sounds to me like all you gotta do to savescum is reboot the game! Nice!

It's not the devs problem if people want to ruin their goddamn game.
The problem with this line of thinking is that you can apply it to anything. Why are we asking for restrictions on resting at all? Or no-save dungeons? People should put these restrictions on themselves! It's not the devs' fault if people abuse resting mechanics by resting/saving after every fight.

It's almost as though... freedom... is the best design choice...?

No, you dumbfuck, bypassing a restriction != placing imaginary restrictions on yourself.

If the devs institute a restriction like permadeath and you intentionally bypass that restriction then your experience is not that intended by the devs. Likewise, if the developer permits you to rest in dungeons with no consequence then resting after every encounter is not an abuse of the mechanics and the game will be balanced with this in mind!

Holy fuck, I bet you're one of those retards that always go with their first roll at charagen because otherwise it's abusing the mechanics.
Yeah, this could be fun in a hardcore mode sort of thing. It almost sounds like Iron Man, though, not a foundation for a fun spell-casting system.

For the record, I do limit myself to three rerolls at chargen. Some people need games to force them to have fun, and some people know what restrictions make the game fun for themselves. I implement my own restrictions, and I'm okay with this.

As usual, I think designing for "freedom" is the best design policy. Grognard dipshits who need the game to be hardcoded for badass nerds like themselves really grate on me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
They could still add permadeath (via the HARD CORE options), since we will (hopefully) have the Adventurer's Hall.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/379272709223247713

QYjay.png

Osvir

Learned
Saw this a couple of pages back.

It seems like they want to use the best of all worlds.

This right here is more than enough reason to be nervous. Although I don't think there's anything 'best' from the world of cooldowns.

What is the opposite of "from"? See where I'm getting at?

I think that people are being nervous because they are expecting Obsidian to be too much influenced by the way cooldowns has been handled. I am sure Obsidian will handle it in a new way. Is there any system which has long cooldowns (such as 300 seconds, per example) on lower tier spells/abilities/magic? Most commonly that is something we see on the "Ultimate ability" on games today. "Punch" "Punch" quickly in succession.

I believe we will see something more along the lines of "Punch" wait 300 seconds "Punch".

All numbers are just examples.

Also very important (if not most important)!

Hugs :D <3

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Grunker hoverdog

I'm not angry, even if my comments don't reflect that. I'm having a lot of fun in this thread since PE has been announced. I just toss around ideas and counter arguments without any kind of self-control, unfortunately sometimes I'm going too far. I will try to come back to the light. :

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bet they're saving the Return of George for the final days of the Kickstarter to help supercharge the final rush of pledges.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ziets#Career
He left Obsidian after a project got cancelled in 2012.

I'm curious to know which project this was. Does anyone know?
IIRC they were working on an RPG for Microsoft's future console. It was supposed to propel them to definitive AAA status as a company and get them more leverage with other publishers. Instead it ended up getting canned and a lot of people had to leave Obsidian because of it.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I bet they're saving the Return of George for the final days of the Kickstarter to help supercharge the final rush of pledges.

Is Mask of the Betrayer so popular among the crowd as to supercharge final rush? On the Codex yes, but we are a minority.

Mask of the Betrayer has excellent word of mouth. Meaning it will help immensly upping pledges of backers that are already in and get them to spread the word.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron

Is Mask of the Betrayer so popular among the crowd as to supercharge final rush? On the Codex yes, but we are a minority.

Holding his employment at Obasidian as hostage as a stretch goal would be really dumb. ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah, not too sure about that either.

Now David Gaider, on the other hand, seems to be pretty popular...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

The point is not just to bring new pledgers but also to give the hardcore a reason to raise their pledges. Plus I suspect he's not the only ace they may have up their sleeve...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom