Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Lord Andre

Arcane
Latest fanboy argument on the codex: "Hardcore mode will fix everything !" :decline:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Is Mask of the Betrayer so popular among the crowd as to supercharge final rush? On the Codex yes, but we are a minority.

Well, that might be enough for me to personally re-pledge. I know he's wicked-popular on their official forum too. Not sure about anybody else.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't know why all of you think that Justin Sweet is that awesome. His style is easy to imitate (remember the dwarf ranger piece?) I think that Obsidian artists can do that. Or is it because of IWD? You really think it was a good game? Or a good RPG? Hell, no...

I remember that he did *that* concept art for Fallout, but it doesn't change anything.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Using internal artist would probably be cheaper too, they should try to save anything what isn't necessary such as portraits and use internal choice if he's good enough.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Jaesun's link to Obs board: Ah, that sounds really hopeful. I would love some really great atmospheric oil-painted portraits (though even Justin sometimes paints boob-plate). The art they've shown so far lacks character in my opinion.

Justin Sweet:

041_eowyn.jpg

asper

Arcane
I don't know why all of you think that Justin Sweet is that awesome. His style is easy to imitate (remember the dwarf ranger piece?) I think that Obsidian artists can do that. Or is it because of IWD? You really think it was a good game? Or a good RPG? Hell, no...

We are talking about the portraits he painted for IWD. They are original and well painted; care to show me where this level and style have been matched in RPG art?

old thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/justin-sweet-appreciation-thread-iwd-artist.47909/

Icewind_dale_portraits1.jpg

I love the realistic facial features and lighting/coloring. No influence from anime whatsoever, such a breath of fresh air nowadays. If he'd cut out the silly armour-cleavage this stuff would be simply perfect.

asper

Arcane
Using internal artist would probably be cheaper too, they should try to save anything what isn't necessary such as portraits and use internal choice if he's good enough.

The best portraits you can get in a Baldur's Gate clone are absolutely essential. I suspect I'm not the only one that felt they added half the fun to IWD's character creation, and atmosphere to the game in general. Then again, I'm more of a story and atmosphere fan than a number cruncher :oops:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I spent MORE time trying to figure out WHICH fucking awesome portrait to use for each character in IWD II than I did actually rolling up my characters. :oops:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I spent MORE time trying to figure out WHICH fucking awesome portrait to use for each character in IWD II than I did actually rolling up my characters. :oops:

Same. IWD portraits are godly. Everything about them is perfect. The coloring, the mood, how everything looks. Really great stuff. If PE portraits are as crappy as the concept art then I hope at the very least we can export/import our own custom portraits. This way I can continue using the IWD portraits.

Kahlis

Cipher
I absolutely love hand-painted portraits. In the same vein as pre-3e D&D artwork, it has so much more texture and mood in the color choices. Digital painting is cool if done right but it can also blur together into a sort of muddy haze with no real strong sense of mass or form. Brush strokes add a lot of character, too.

Alex

Arcane
The main problem I believe with the Vancian system is that you cannot cast a lot of spells before going to bed, and it makes for unrealistic dungeon romps. I am sure we all agree on that.
(snip...)

I disagree. If something, I think the limited resources make the dungeon crawling more realistic. Exploring a dungeon isn't something you should be able to do in a single delve. Or a single day. Heck, a 5 level dungeon should probably take a whole week, unless it is really small (like a tower).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Exploring a dungeon isn't something you should be able to do in a single delve. Or a single day. Heck, a 5 level dungeon should probably take a whole week, unless it is really small (like a tower).

U crazy, bro? But BACKTRACKING???? In a supposedly non-linear game in which you could go do something else instead? Preposterous!

Plus, fighters can take more damage, deal it more consistently (don't have to deal with spell cooldowns)

Yeah, I thought we were talking about those spells "replacing" slings which mages would be able to cast without any cooldowns.
And if they really meant those spells to be a replacement for slings (as in they would be REALLY crappy) then they wouldn't have gone on about mages being generally too weak at low levels. To me it sounds like they just want to make each and every class identical. And if the only real differences between mages and fighters is how much they can carry and how much blows they can take then they might as well go for a class-less system.

ravenshrike

Novice

Same. IWD portraits are godly. Everything about them is perfect. The coloring, the mood, how everything looks. Really great stuff. If PE portraits are as crappy as the concept art then I hope at the very least we can export/import our own custom portraits. This way I can continue using the IWD portraits.
Even before the official modding confirmations that was confirmed as happening.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"But letting the mages recover their weaker spells after a while is a sensible way of giving mages more things to do than "save spells for actual fights and let fighters sweep the trash" and as a bonus it also helps with the "backtrack to safe resting point" problem, unless the term "cooldown" makes you read it as "press awesome fireball button every 15 seconds", which Sawyer already said is incorrect."

Allowing mages to spam mages non stop takes the magic out of magic. It's fuykkin' indefensible!

You'd think they'd do their best to make sure they make the best magic system posisble since they aren't limited yet they plan to make it worse. I'm sure the game/magic system will still be playable but it is not going to be a sgood as the DnD system. Or even likely normal mana or even cooldown systems. FFS

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"But letting the mages recover their weaker spells after a while is a sensible way of giving mages more things to do than "save spells for actual fights and let fighters sweep the trash" and as a bonus it also helps with the "backtrack to safe resting point" problem, unless the term "cooldown" makes you read it as "press awesome fireball button every 15 seconds", which Sawyer already said is incorrect."

Allowing mages to spam mages non stop takes the magic out of magic. It's fuykkin' indefensible!

You'd think they'd do their best to make sure they make the best magic system posisble since they aren't limited yet they plan to make it worse. I'm sure the game/magic system will still be playable but it is not going to be a sgood as the DnD system. Or even likely normal mana or even cooldown systems. FFS
Stop talking about fraking cooldowns. We are over it. We are arguing about saves and portrais now. -.-

FeelTheRads

Arcane
We are arguing about saves

You're the only one arguing about it because you can't understand that not saving in dungeons doesn't mean that you can't leave the game if you need to as long as there's save&exit.
Anyway, I doubt Obsidian would even think about implementing such a thing what with their fear of punishing the players and everything.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Justin Sweet is awesome and Fuck The Haters™, he does awesome boobs. Look at that halfling, 3rd in the 2nd row or the one in black in the last row. :bounce:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Project Eternity just passed 2,4 million barrier. Crafting and Enchanting are in.

:drink:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We are arguing about saves

You're the only one arguing about it because you can't understand that not saving in dungeons doesn't mean that you can't leave the game if you need to as long as there's save&exit.
Anyway, I doubt Obsidian would even think about implementing such a thing what with their fear of punishing the players and everything.
Arguing means at least 2 people, so WE are (or at least were) arguing. :smug: But I'm done with that topic.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Stop talking about fraking cooldowns. We are over it. We are arguing about saves and portrais now. -.-"

A. FUCK YOU

B. You should be allowed to save anywhere. That's TRUE crpgness.

C. People actually pay attention to portraits outside of quick glance? FFS graphic whores. You are the pieces of shit whoa re just like the tools you cry about. Fuck portraits. I pay attention tot he actual fukkin' game NOT fukkin' paintings. (except when TITS are involved.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom