Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
:hmmm:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
IWD portraits were so good. But I generally preferred 1's - 2's had a lot of unnecessary flash and brightness. Compare the ranger from IWD, last in 4th row, to the white-robed guy with a mace first in second last row from IWD2 for instance (although the comparison would be better with a similar portrait from IWD1, with a cleric guy in a hooded brown robe + staff).

If he'd cut out the silly armour-cleavage this stuff would be simply perfect.

Oh yeah? Fuck you : x

MCA
Alternate "difficulty" option: iron-man in dungeons and during combat encounters (if you should be able to save during an encounter at all), regular unrestricted saving otherwise.

jewboy

Arbiter
I find myself agreeing with Vollie a lot lately. That hasn't happened since BG2ToB was still kind of new. He definitely has the right idea.

Also checkpoint saves are for console-kiddies and the very idea makes me hate pretty much anyone under 30. Also if you actually own a console, please die. Now rather than later would be my preference.

The PE magic system is so confusing and constantly changing that it makes my brain hurt. It's sort of like a stealth magic system. Or a sort of metaspell in itself. You can only see it out of the corner of your eye. When you turn to look at it it disappears.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All that boob armor is fucking hideous.
To me it sounds like they just want to make each and every class identical. And if the only real differences between mages and fighters is how much they can carry and how much blows they can take then they might as well go for a class-less system.
You lack reading comprehension. He wants to make each class have its own strengths and weaknesses. These things should all be comparable in value.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also checkpoint saves are for console-kiddies and the very idea makes me hate pretty much anyone under 30. Also if you actually own a console, please die. Now rather than later would be my preference.

HURR DURR nobody except J_C (until you, at least) has understood that as popamole-like checkpoint saves. Save any time in town, just save&exit in dungeons, that's what it was about. Never about retarded checkpoints.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well most is more like lingerie than armor. I really only see one that looks like boob plate. I like the chick with the whip.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well I associate limited saves with consoles. I don't recall ever actuall playing a PC game that had limited saves if it was not also a console port. Not sure what is meant by save&exit. Nor do I see what problem limited saves is trying to solve.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually even regular WRPGs from the 80s used save&exit systems.

jewboy

Arbiter
I've never played a roguelike. What is a save&exit ssytem? Does that mean in order to save you also have to exit the game?

edit: I just realized I've also never played an 80s cRPG. Some adventure games but no cRPGs. I don't think Zork had a save system, but I wasn't playing that on a PC.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I've never played a roguelike. What is a save&exit ssytem? Does that mean in order to save you also have to exit the game?
Yes, it allows the user to quit without losing progress at any time but does not permit save abuse.
edit: I just realized I've also never played an 80s cRPG. Some adventure games but no cRPGs. I don't think Zork had a save system, but I wasn't playing that on a PC.
It had, save/restore.

jewboy

Arbiter
I think people who have so little self control that they cannot stop themselves from saving and require a developer to force them are pathetic.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
FFS, even Diablo 2 had such a system - in fact, I think most hack'n'slashes use it.

I don't mind such a system. Saving only at random, chosen spots is downright retarded consolitis by itself. However, when you add a 'save and exit' mode to it, it can become viable. You'd either have to trek buck to towns every so often, which should be countered by overland encounters and dungeon spawning new monsters if the party leaves it for more than a few minutes (hear me HobGoblin42), or clench your fists and try to give it your best shot with the resources at hand.
Frankly, it's probably the best way to prevent save-scumming.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Save&exit systems typically have one save slot. You save to it when you exit the game, and you load it when you want to continue (unless you start a new game)

This system was prevalent in the 80's. Later on it was relaxed - you still had only one save slot but you could save and restore at will during gameplay, which allowed "save scumming".

Of course, even with the old system you could use a crude type of save scumming, by forcing the game closed without saving. That's why many of the old games would also auto-save frequently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom