Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Seriously, when you have to explain even the simplest genre and even gaming conventions to the most vocal 'critics' how the fuck can you have any meaningfull discussion? Fucking posers man.

jewboy

Arbiter
Interesting. I definitely prefer more than one save slot. One is just barely adequate. I've never heard of the term "save scumming" until recently. Was it invented by console gamers who are pissed off about PC gamers having so many save slots?

There was a big debate about whether saves should be allowed in Crysis 2. The devs of course had one for themselves in the beta, but they removed it by popular demand. I guess retards, the largest audience for consoles, have trouble with a game that you can save.

I do understand that people with severe mental handicaps may have Tourette's like convulsions in which they cannot physically prevent themseves from entering the save menu and saving even though it is against everything they believe in. I just don't understand why people with normal brains have such symptoms. Very strange indeed. I'd hate to think of such people with driver's licenses. How can they resist pressing on the gas pedal while waiting at a traffic light? I think the best thing for everyone is to committ such people to special institutions. There they could have attendants who would be there to physically stop them if they attempt to enter the save menu of any game.

Omicron

Scholar
Interesting. I definitely prefer more than one save slot. One is just barely adequate. I've never heard of the term "save scumming" until recently. Was it invented by console gamers who are pissed off about PC gamers having so many save slots?

There was a big debate about whether saves should be allowed in Crysis 2. The devs of course had one for themselves in the beta, but they removed it by popular demand. I guess retards, the largest audience for consoles, have trouble with a game that you can save.

I do understand that people with severe mental handicaps may have Tourette's like convulsions in which they cannot physically prevent themseves from entering the save menu and saving even though it is against everything they believe in. I just don't understand why people with normal brains have such symptoms. Very strange indeed. I'd hate to think of such people with driver's licenses. How can they resist pressing on the gas pedal while waiting at a traffic light? I think the best thing for everyone is to committ such people to special institutions. There they could have attendants who would be there to physically stop them if they attempt to enter the save menu of any game.
Save scumming is the behavior where one, after failure (game-over or any other sort) reloads to the last save, in order to try again. This causes situations where people keep reloading to succeed getting a single encounter, drop, or whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
jewboy Basically what happens is that people begin to see saving not as a mere tool that is fundamentally external to the gameplay, but as a game mechanic which should be freely exploited.

The Japanese took this idea of the save-as-game-mechanic the furthest, with their in-game glowing star checkpoints.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Save & exit is good for games based around survival like rogue-likes or demon's souls for example, I'm not sure it's the best model for games with more focus on choices or dialogue options. Sometimes you wonder if there was a "smarter" way to solve a problem or you want to goof around with dialogue options without having to make a new game. As an example I had loads of fun trying all the ways to piss off the enclave soldier through the terminal in the Gecko power plant.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The kicktraq shows an maximum pledge level of $3,308,759. Considering that the current level is $2,406,370 and there are practically 8 days to go, I don't think they will beat DB's adventure project (ended at $3,334,203).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The kicktraq shows an maximum pledge level of $3,308,759. Considering that the current level is $2,406,370 and there are practically 8 days to go, I don't think they will beat DB's adventure project (ended at $3,334,203).

I can't remember if I asked this before, those kicktraq do NOT account for the Paypal donations right?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I can't remember if I asked this before, those kicktraq do NOT account for the Paypal donations right?

No, it's a site for looking at Kickstarters, all Kickstarters. They couldn't track other funding methods even if they wanted to, it would be too much work.

As for Kicktraq's projection, it's full of shit.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hard to tell. It will depend on the last few hours spike. Maybe if they can get Jennifer Hepler in... or announce a partnership whith Black Isle...

SwiftCrack

Arcane

No, it's a site for looking at Kickstarters, all Kickstarters. They couldn't track other funding methods even if they wanted to, it would be too much work.

As for Kicktraq's projection, it's full of shit.

It just projects by average amount of dollars/day right?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Kicktraq is hilariously inaccurate at the beginning and end of a project (due to the spikes). Though the projection brings it closer than the trending. If we have a good week it may end up a bit to a lot higher.

Also Paypal isn't counted like Jaesun said.

Dexter

Arcane
What is save abuse? Never heard of such a thing.
It's when I QuickSave/QuickLoad before hard encounters cause I can't be arsed about 2 characters in the party dieing in IE games and me having to walk to some retarded priest and try and haul all their equipment along with me. I really hope you're trolling with your last post, cause otherwise :retarded: . It's a game mechanic to be considered as any other and you can't expect people to LARP around it.

One of the latest examples of Quit & Save roguelike is for instance Faster Than Light, which creates a "continue.sav" whenever you quit and otherwise doesn't offer any saves, when your ship gets blown up that is it and you have to start again. Only way to savescum would be to Exit and copy the savefile before every hard encounter, which often doesn't even come into consideration and isn't exactly the same as pressing "F5" and "F9".

Dark Souls was great in that way, as it would just save your exact position and state whenever you quit, but there's not even any need for "save scumming", since dieing won't make you permanently dead or offer much penalties at all other than sending you back to the last Bonfire/Checkpoint, it is mostly handled as a learning curve where you have to kill yourself through a certain amount of enemies the best way possible to be able to go on.

Btw. there's other ways of "save-scumming" too, for instance in Diablo II a lot of "Hardcore" players were using force-quit sometimes (since that worked almost instantly and would catapult the player back to town) if they were trapped in a desperate situation and about to lose their character.

The KickTraq only tells people what to expect if the pledges stay on a similar level. It can't account for the rush within the first few days of a campaign or the spike within the last few days, mostly by people who want in at the eleventh hour, some raising their pledges because they want to reach a certain "stretch goal" or just the excitement of the countdown reaching 0.

Double Fine Adventure had $3,446,371 if you count PayPal too btw.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It wouldn't surprise me if it out does Wasteland 2 (just out of the SHEER nostalgia of the IE (Mainly BG) games. Basically === MILLIONS). I just can't see it doing more than Schaefers game.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The #s for Double Fine Adventure also don't include about $150,000 in large non-KS donations they got (maybe a bit less than that, I forget exactly). We'll see what happens in the last few days.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well I think I have figured out a solution to save scumming in PE. Each boxed game can include a small flail replica: a stick attached to a steel ball on a chain. In a special hardhead mode every time you save the game at shorter intervals than, say, 2 hours, the game will instruct you to swing the little flail around and hit yourself in the head with it 10 times. If a flail is insufficient to stop the practice then how about a large wooden warhammer replica or just a large wood mallet? Another option is a special keyboard cover that does not allow you to press the keys that lead you to the save menu. And for people who still cannot control themselves Obsidian can take their credit card number and every time they save more often than they want to Obsidian can charge the compulsive saver a $10 courtesy fee.

Now that that is solved how do we force the people who are asking for and want an ironman mode to actually play it? How can someone without sufficient self-control to avoid saving when they know they don't want to possibly be expected to voluntarily enter a mode in which they know beforehand that they will not be able to save at all?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Grunker and other crafting haters: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=183#post408301076

Random Goon said:
Is it bad that I'm kind of annoyed they made it to the crafting goal? I kind of hate having to keep up with ingredients and recipes and crap to proceed in a game. I hope the game is playable with just looted/bought equipment.

Josh Sawyer said:
Yeah, we haven't designed the crafting system at all, but we're almost certainly going to partition crafting ingredients from other items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom