Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

canakin

Cipher
Is there anyone who likes RTwP combat? Real time with pause rpgs always have the worst of the both worlds. Just look at NWN2 for fucks sake, or that JA2 remake.

How twitchy does RTwP combat get? I am trying to keep an open mind about it since this game could be great, but if it's just non-stop twitching I don't think I can enjoy playing.

Well if you use twitchy in the traditional sense, rtwp rpgs hardly get as twitchy as an action game. The real problem with rtwp combat is that you either need to use pause and line up orders every half second to prevent dying due to getting swarmed by enemies like in some russian rtwp tactical games, which ends up being a chore very fast, or it's an unmanageable clusterfuck alltogether a la Neverwinter Nights 2. I think best you can hope from rtwp is Baldur's Gate combat which is at least playable but fucking boring.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
>not logging into Steam when you boot your computer
>not keeping your computer on without shutting it down for four years in a row

Newfags...

Hey guys.
Guys.
Guys.

This sounds like a terrible Kickstarter.

A) It's RTw/P
B) You can't create the entire party, just the MC.

Just like some other games we hate.
Like.

BG 2 (though you can in theory)
Or.
IWD. (though here you can do B, but the writing suffers for it)
Or.

That other piece of
shit

PS:T

:eek:

You guys are so fucking weird-
And when someone like me says that... well. You better believe it.

canakin

Cipher
Morgoth I had typed down an answer explaining how it is not a matter of how much time it takes to log into Steam and how it's wrong to force something, anything, down your paying customers' throats but then I remembered how futile it is to discuss with fanboys and decided to delete it, call you a faggot and move on. Here; Fucking faggot. Into the ignore list you go.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Then clearly we need the Tavern of Hatred, filled with nazi trannies and racist furries and hateful pentagenerians that are bitter about everything. Let this be their banner:
Daily_Mail1.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Morgoth eating shit for years doesn't make it non-shit or taste better. DRM has no benefits for the legitimate user and pretty useless for stopping pirating. People are getting angry because they are forced to login to Steam, GFWL or go through whatever hassle for no fucking reason in order to play the games they already purchased. Is it so hard to understand?

This.
Me I will definitely not fund it if it's Steam only, but if it turns it really is the bestest CRPG ever than I will probably end getting that Steam account.

kris

Arcane
I am personally against all form of DRM. It is not customer friendly and really have not business in a game funded directly by customers.

But I don't make a big fuss about things like that. It is more like a uncomfy seat in the bus, just a minor inconvenience. (disclaimer: I don't use busses, those are for peons.)

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Didn't they say they will be using 2D sheets in the GameBanshee interview? If they are then you would need to do the painting yourself and that seems like something that would not end well. Aren't all the current IE mods are just cut-up aretwork from the original games.

buck mentioned painted backgrounds in one of his questions - till now there's no official word on what the engine will use, only that it will look and feel like an enhanced ie. time and screens will tell. btw even if they're using traditional 2d backgrounds that doesn't mean that it has to be painted. just fire up your 3d modeling app and do a nice render of your scene. and no, there're also completely newly rendered areas for ie. in fact areas ain't that difficult to make compared to creatures/animations.

Me I will definitely not fund it if it's Steam only

within their faq they're mentioning that they're thinking about other ways of distribution. right now steam is the only definite one.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
He propably wanted to say that steam is the future of gaming. Typical steamtard who can't get Gabe's cock out of his mouth.

No, but unless it gets released on GoG, there is no such a thing as a DRM free version. Why people still get angry for something like Steam that has been standard for so many years now is just silly.
Tim Schafer's adventure game and Wasteland both rewarded pledgers with DRM-free versions. What was your point again?

kaizoku

Arcane
Not going to happen if they're going to make some dlc.
I pondered about that for a second or so, but the fact is what they can make is far superior to what any modder can do.
So it doesn't really matter.
People will buy their DLC. With or without mods.

I'm not going to donate a cent until Obsidian offers a DRM free option. Steam is not an option.

Pledge. Support the project.
DL the "modded" non-steam version.
Everybody wins.

How twitchy does RTwP combat get? I am trying to keep an open mind about it since this game could be great, but if it's just non-stop twitching I don't think I can enjoy playing.
Play BG1 & BG2 and see how it works for you.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Imbeciles, learn to read. Steam is ONE of the online alternatives which are analyzed by Obsidian.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Didn't they say they will be using 2D sheets in the GameBanshee interview? If they are then you would need to do the painting yourself and that seems like something that would not end well. Aren't all the current IE mods are just cut-up aretwork from the original games.

buck mentioned painted backgrounds in one of his questions - till now there's no official word on what the engine will use, only that it will look and feel like an enhanced ie. time and screens will tell. btw even if they're using traditional 2d backgrounds that doesn't mean that it has to be painted. just fire up your 3d modeling app and do a nice render of your scene. and no, there're also completely newly rendered areas for ie. in fact areas ain't that difficult to make compared to creatures/animations.

Listen I 100% hope there is a tool-set. But more than that I hope they have 2D painted backgrounds like the IE games but that will make it difficult for new areas to be added. But you can always add new things in the created world if it is large enough.

Tigranes

Arcane
People are getting angry because they are forced to login to Steam

Yeah, takes 3 secs to log into Steam. Holy shit that makes me so angry!!!

Fucking idiot.

Steam is shit. I'm backing and I'll get a boxed copy, but I'm counting on them adding DRM free version like their precedents. Why should we actively help something become a monopoly?

Nigro

Educated
Man this is great news!
I hope they also make a sequel to Alpha Protocol, very underrated game !

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, which is exactly why I'm pushing for DRM free as well. Without publishers there really is no excuse for Obsidian, get rid of the thing.

Multi-headed Cow

Welp, I'm in. Probably shouldn't be considering how much I've bitched about Obsidian's games on the whole, but when they're good they're damn good so I'll hope for the best. And hell, even with its flaws I liked Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Also I'm getting a little irritated at the fact we have two threads going about this.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Fuck JE Sawyer is posting on something awful about how PC the characters will be.

I fucking hope MCA or someone slaps his faggot ass into shape.

Fucking multiculturalism

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom