Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Shannow

Waster of Time
I hope that at this point all of the doubters from the beginning of the Kickstarter realize how effective this gradual, relentless drip-drip of information has been.
Why? You don't know how much they would have generated if they'd done things differntly. DU's argument was never that they'd fail but that they could have gotten much more if they'd done things differently.
Since they're approaching 2.5 mio and not 5 mio DU was obviously right :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why? You don't know how much they would have generated if they'd done things differntly. DU's argument was never that they'd fail but that they could have gotten much more if they'd done things differently.

Let's look at the evidence. Compared to other projects, the slope of Project Eternity's funding graph has been consistently more stable.

1pDug.png

DU's claim that Project Eternity could have gotten much more money on the first few days, is thus far weaker than my claim that they are indeed maximizing their cash intake flow.

The only evidence for DU's claim is circumstantial musing about how Obsidian is an "AAA developer" and therefore should be getting lots more cash than small studios like inXile or DF. But that ignores the fact that all things AAA have been proven to be less popular on Kickstarter. It's easier to fund a hardcore RPG on Kickstarter than it is to fund a first person shooter.

And anyway, even if DU is right, it's still clear from looking at the graphs that Obsidian have more than made up for whatever missteps they may have made at the beginning - again, by relentlessly dripping information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drip_marketing

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm curious to see what their next stretch goals are, I feel like with about a week left in the campaign if they added something truly epic (nay, MAJESTIC) at 3 million it could get more money then these somewhat tepid $100,000 stretch goals.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It doesn't matter. They can still take preorders on Paypal until the game is released.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Don't know, but when I see campaign that's set for, let's say, 52 days, l wonder what's the point of shorter campaigns. Less coverage, people hesitation, even time of pay checks for people.

Edit

Hell I would up my pledge by 50$ when the next money will appear on my bank account till the end of October.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Also, any project that sets itself for 60 days isn't really something I would consider a confident project. But then again, these big name kickstarters do have a certain prestige factor that measures in the equation.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
This is kind of a bitch to explain (on a forum) but if it were something like:

Level 2 Mage

[Low Level Spells]
None

[Mid Level Spells]
Level 1 Spells [zap, burning hands, push away]
Level 2 spells [stun, bark skin, play dead\
You can choose 2 spells for this combat, then all spells in level 1 AND 2 lock out.

Level 6 Mage

[Low Level Spells]
Level 1 Spells [zap, burning hands, push away]
You can choose 1 spell and then the Level 1 spell tier is locked. It has a 1 minute cooldown and then you can select it again.

[Mid Level Spells]
Level 2 spells [stun, bark skin, play dead]
Level 3 spells [Fireball, haste, slow]
Level 4 spells [Lightening, blind
You can choose 3 spells for this combat, then all spells in level 2,3 and 4 lock out for the remainder of this current combat.

Something similar to that would be fine by me. I don't know if this is what Josh and Tim have in mind.

The problem with this system comes from priests. If they can cast low level heal, you can say bye bye to potions and to any amount of depth...

wormix

Augur
The problem with this system comes from priests. If they can cast low level heal, you can say bye bye to potions and to any amount of depth...
This assumes there's even a heal spell, and not some other limiting factor such as wounds or fatigue.

kaizoku

Arcane
Regarding cooldowns.

If your spells recharge after battle, does that means that so do your healing spells, which means full HP after each battle?

Has Sawyer said anything about this?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Regarding cooldowns.

If your spells recharge after battle, does that means that so do your healing spells, which means full HP after each battle?

Has Sawyer said anything about this?

Yes, he's said healing will be different from what we've seen in other RPGs.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
sawyer said that healing will be handled differently than usual. probably there won't be healing spells.

Josh said:
Damage to Health would be more serious and much harder to restore (probably only through consumables and/or rest). Having your Endurance lowered to 0 would knock the character out. Having your Health knocked to 0 would kill the character outright (though there may be some optional, lesser version of this effect for non-Expert players). /source

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
This assumes there's even a heal spell, and not some other limiting factor such as wounds or fatigue.

So how many priests there are without a heal spell? I kinda doubt they they will go WoW shadow priest route (only damage spells and no heal), but would that could be an interesting thing...

Murk

Arcane
Hahaha, "before we can discuss magic, we must first asks ourselves: What is healing?"

Arkeus

Arcane
Well, 'Healing' is actually one of the most broken part of most games anyway, so it makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom